Menu

Eragon

My 9-year-old son listened to all three books in that series last year. He loved them. He is just now reading the first Harry Potter book.

I haven't read HP in years and did not listen in on the Eragon books so can't say personally, but DH read the Eragon books and didn't have a problem with them.

I don't think it would be too scary or gory. There are some descriptions of mass killings from this one group that goes town to town and destroys/kills everything in sight... but I don't remember it being too much. I read it two school years ago, so I may not remember fully, but it is such a long book, with so much description of geographic detail and such... I don't remember the author dwelling much on the killing.

I really enjoyed the book, but not the movie, only because such a long, detailed book had to be chopped apart so much to fit into one movie. I also liked the second book.

I read the book and liked it. The sons of some friends of mine read it at about the same time--they were 12 and 14, respectively. I think that was about the right age for that book. Your sons are too young, both because there is violence and profound loss and also because the plot and the character relationships grow increasingly complex. The book ends on a cliffhanger, and the series continues to be increasingly violent and more and more complex.

I enjoyed Eragon the most. I liked Eldest pretty well, but was frustrated at the lack of resolution in the plot. I HATED Brisingr and never finished it (which is very rare for me). Brisingr was gratuitously violent in a really sick, deviant kind of way. That book effectively killed the series for me. I was saddened by that because I had enjoyed Eragon, and think the writer showed considerable promise in that book.

Bottom line: Your sons are definitely too young, though I wouldn't recommend the series to anyone because of the graphic violence that builds through the series. I also thought the author's skill in writing decreased measurably as the series went on.

ETA: I have read and enjoyed Harry Potter and LOTR and others. I am currently in the process of enthusiastically reading aloud the fourth book in the HP series to my 9yo son. The Eragon series is NOT in the same realm AT ALL.

There are also quite a few passages dealing with budding adolescent feelings, if you know what I mean.

I did not read the third book, ultimately, the series just wasn't good enough to finish. If you knew me, you would be shocked, because I am kind of OCD about finishing a series once I start.

I wouldn't even bother waiting. I have a pretty high tolerance for poor writing in YA fantasy books, but Eragon was almost unreadable. The writing was horrid. Absolutely abysmal. Probably the most poorly written book I've ever read. I own the second book, and I've read about two pages because the writing does actually get worse with each book, though I wouldn't have thought it possible.

Redwall, on the other hand, is great. Excellent writing, vivid characters. A whole different level of writing than the blue doorstop you mentioned earlier. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree:

I have wondered about this. I have also wondered why the fourth book hasn't been published.

What is up with that? I have seen zero timelines or estimates for the 4th book. It's as if it's been forgotten.

I could barely get through the 3rd book. to the OP - there were violent, gross scenes that I have had trouble putting out of my own head. yuck.

Redwall, on the other hand, is wonderful!

I was not crazy about the book - but honestly: if I had a 15 y/o son who could write like this, I would be rather content.

I loathed this series, but I agree. I'm not so sure I would want my future 15 yo published with this level of writing though... oh, the mocking he would rightfully endure...

But, thumbs up on Redwall...

I am glad I read this thread. I did not read the Eragon series by my 19 yr. old did and she liked it. She did not say anything about the very violent or disturbing stuff. My youngest two read Eragon and liked it but now I know to not let them preceed with the series until they are much older. If I haven't read a series myself then I usually get my ratings from the 17 yr. old as she seems to have a better understanding of what is appropriate and acceptable for her younger sisters but she didn't read that series.

There's a fair bit of violence in the Eragon series, but more than the violence, some of it, such as the ritualistic amputations in the third book (and the sect member volunteers) are disturbing enough that I wouldn' recommend the book to my younger two. My eldest read the first one, but changed her mind about reading the others.