Menu

Oh my gosh.

I left work, walked out to my car (parked on the street) and got in to go home. As soon as I slammed my door I heard a horrible crunching sound and the back window of my car cracked into a spiderweb of breaking safety glass. A big chunk fell right out, and of course a lot more of it broke off as I drove home.

I got out as soon as it broke and couldn't see what caused the damage. There were a couple of small stones on the rear shelf, the larger maybe 1.5 inches in diameter. I can't say that they weren't there before - I have kids who collect things.

We're having a major windstorm today with gusts up to 60 miles an hour. That's the only thing I can think of - that the wind threw something against the car and cracked the window, and then it broke when I closed my door and sent vibrations through the frame.

That was such a scary thing. I am so, so grateful that I was coming home from work and so I didn't have my kids with me. There is glass in their carseats.

That happened to me. We finally figured out it was a rock tossed from a lawnmower that I wasn't even close to. It hit my drivers side window in just such a way as to crack the entire shield. Glass fell into my lap and I screamed like a banshee. Maybe you're right about wind blowing up something and it hit the windshield at just such an angle as to break the glass. I'm so glad your kids weren't in the car!

I was a little nervous while driving home, but then totally fine while paying off the babysitter, hanging out with the kids, etc. Then my husband came home and suddenly I am a stomach-quivering nervous mess.

This has happened before in scary situations. I hold it together just fine until there's another responsible adult around, and then I fall to pieces.

I was a little nervous while driving home, but then totally fine while paying off the babysitter, hanging out with the kids, etc. Then my husband came home and suddenly I am a stomach-quivering nervous mess.

This has happened before in scary situations. I hold it together just fine until there's another responsible adult around, and then I fall to pieces.

It's the Mommy in you. It's what we do. Keep it together as long as we need to, and don't let it drop until you know someone else can handle it.

ETA: :grouphug:

I got hit with a flying golf ball once. I had the girls in the back in their carseats. My driver side front window was completly smashed and all in my lap...and glass was all over the girls. Being from Brooklyn (We had just moved upstate) I thought someone shot out my window, so I floored it all the way home...and came in crying to my dh. He couldn't believe it was a bullet, so he drove me back and FOUND the golf ball. He went over to the golfcourse (DUH!) across the road, told the owner what happened and he paid to have the window replaced.

We were all fine, but my nerves took a week to calm down.

I am glad you are ok and your kids were not in the car.

Faithe

How scary! Good for you for keeping your composure.

That safety glass is truly amazing. My husband was outside carrying a shower door when it shattered (still don't know why); scared the heck out of us, but it broke into thousands of smooth, harmless pebbles. That was years ago, and I'm still finding them in my garden.