Menu

s/o How Would You Rank the Academics of Your Home School?

How would you rank the academics of your home school?  

1. 1. How would you rank the academics of your home school?

• 1-2
    • Other (just because)

Oh dear, I wasn't reading carefully. I thought 1 was high, ten low. I'd give us a 9 instead of a 1-2. That will teach me to talk on the phone and read the board at the same time.

And, of course, it's purely subjective. I based my opinion on test scores (very high), and what my sons are studying in comparison to our ps friends in the same grades. My boys seem to be working about 1-2 grade levels above their ps friends and also seem to be getting a broader and deeper education in their subjects.

Cat

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I've been wondering about those 1-2s. I figured "very honest" or "very confused" :D

Bill

Well, my dd is only in first grade and hasn't done standardized tests yet, so take my score with a grain of salt. But I do give her pop quizzes (she loves them :001_huh: ) and the Singapore tests. Since her A status might not last, I'm taking my 10 while I can. ;)

Hmmm, more like an 8.5, I think. This will be my 17th year of homeschooling this fall, and we've managed to get two of my three into college with academic and performance scholarships (the youngest is 10, so it remains to be seen if he'll mess up my "batting average" ;)), so I'd say we're doing well.

A couple of things I have learned through the years:

You cannot blow off school 2-3 times per week and have your child learn all they need to learn.

Your academics need to be thorough and rigorous.

Just "living life" and being "out in the community" is NOT the same as doing your schoolwork.

Having your children learn things like "how to help run a family" and how to deal with a new baby is not the same as academics. Not saying those things aren't important, but I've had friends piddle through an entire year with the excuse of a new baby. I've BTDT and it's hard. But you can't let academics slide. My oldest son (now 20) had to make up A TON of work to catch up from my falling into the "less is more" trap. It wasn't fair for me to have done that to him and I sincerely regret it.

Please know that NONE of my comments are directed towards anybody on this board. I don't know you well enough to know what any of your school days are like. I'm just speaking generally. I guess my point is we need to expect our kids to do hard things....and schoolwork is a hard thing. Our kids deserve the chance to live up to whatever their full potential might be (and every child is different), but as home school parents....we're it. We're the ones they're counting on to provide their education. We need to make sure we're stepping up to the plate everyday.

And, now you've just heard the pep talk I give to myself every morning when I'd rather sit outside and read a good book instead of do 4th grade math. :lol:

I appreciate you sharing your experience and wisdom with us!

I gave myself a 10. :D We don't test yet, so I have no reference point for that, but I do know that my kids are learning more, retaining more, and are able to communicate more than I was able to at their age, and I was in gifted and talented classes and considered top of my class. :tongue_smilie: Now, I'm relearning EVERYTHING, because I'm finding that my own education was pretty much junk.

I gave us a 7. I know we do really well but I always feel that there is more I could be doing. They both test great (ITBS) but I don't really think that is too important. I guess I just feel no matter what we do there is room for improvement but I also know that what they're getting at home is better than the school down the street because we've tried.

I voted 9. I feel good about the curricula we use. I think we're doing enough but not too much. I feel that we're getting good socialization and outside stimulation. My son is a happy guy and today proclaimed, "I LOVE lessons!", and "I'm good with numbers!" I'm very consistent with the lessons and don't let much of anything get in the way of our school time, and sincerely enjoy spending time with and teaching my son each day. My husband is supportive, involved, participates and teaches certain subjects (or all subject on days when I have to work in the mornings). My son tested in late first grade/early second grade back in October when he was beginning Kindergarten and we had been homeschooling for about 5 months at the time. It would be very difficult to rate it a 10 because I always feel that there is room for improvement somewhere.

There are a couple of subjects that I'm worried about in the future because I feel that there are some areas that are really lacking for secular home schoolers (good reading programs - not phonics, and science). I also worry about writing in the future. I've looked at all of the homeschool writing programs that I'm aware of and nothing really seems to fit or be what I'm looking for. So in the future I worry that I may have to give it a lower rating, but for now, I'll give it a 9.

Edited by Cindyz

I gave us a 7 for now. Nobody here has tested yet, so I don't have scores to go off of. I'm basing it off of how many things I can think of that haven't gone right this year.

I haven't done enough crafts with the youngest.

We are behind in history and science and will be doing them all summer.

My oldest is behind in WWE and will be doing it all summer.

We don't play enough games.

We haven't done enough in the way of picture studies or composer studies.

For money and time reasons we are skipping history crafts this year. My dh is looking for work and I really can't afford to go buy felt, glitter, paint, craft sticks, fabric, clay, etc.

For huge portions of every school year I forget we have Discovery Education streaming and don't use it.

At the end of the summer, assuming everything is caught up, I would raise us up to an 8 or 9. Everyone here is doing very well with the three Rs and some "extras" like Latin and poetry memorization which I know wouldn't happen in the public schools. Also, I wouldn't call thorough grammar instruction extra, but that doesn't happen in the local public schools either, not even the ones with good ratings. The same goes for teaching literature using entire books. The local public schools use short stories (which I include, as it is an important format IMO) and excerpts from books.

I don't think I could ever give us a 10 based on my idea of an ideal homeschool because I think there will always be things I think are important that we don't find time for. If I'm rating based on test scores then I'll just have to wait and see. If we're comparing us to the state's public schools then we might get a 10. If we include private schools then I think we might go back down to an 8 or 9, but we can't afford to send our children to the only secular private school in town ($7000 a year per child) so it really doesn't matter how good it is.

The two public schools closest to me are rated 1 and 2 on great schools.

Hmmm, more like an 8.5, I think. This will be my 17th year of homeschooling this fall, and we've managed to get two of my three into college with academic and performance scholarships (the youngest is 10, so it remains to be seen if he'll mess up my "batting average" ;)), so I'd say we're doing well.

A couple of things I have learned through the years:

You cannot blow off school 2-3 times per week and have your child learn all they need to learn.

Your academics need to be thorough and rigorous.

Just "living life" and being "out in the community" is NOT the same as doing your schoolwork.

Having your children learn things like "how to help run a family" and how to deal with a new baby is not the same as academics. Not saying those things aren't important, but I've had friends piddle through an entire year with the excuse of a new baby. I've BTDT and it's hard. But you can't let academics slide. My oldest son (now 20) had to make up A TON of work to catch up from my falling into the "less is more" trap. It wasn't fair for me to have done that to him and I sincerely regret it.

Please know that NONE of my comments are directed towards anybody on this board. I don't know you well enough to know what any of your school days are like. I'm just speaking generally. I guess my point is we need to expect our kids to do hard things....and schoolwork is a hard thing. Our kids deserve the chance to live up to whatever their full potential might be (and every child is different), but as home school parents....we're it. We're the ones they're counting on to provide their education. We need to make sure we're stepping up to the plate everyday.

And, now you've just heard the pep talk I give to myself every morning when I'd rather sit outside and read a good book instead of do 4th grade math. :lol:

Thanks for the encouragment.

A little anecdote for you Bill.

Last Friday, my now 5 yr dd [remember her, the scary bright one?] was listening to me quiz my 7 yr dd in preparation for memory masters. [something we do in Classical Conversations]

Me: Kate what is an appositive

Kate: [Gives correct answer]

Linnea to her cousin: Emma, if you were an appositive, I would follow you.

I gave us a 9 :D

A little anecdote for you Bill.

Last Friday, my now 5 yr dd [remember her, the scary bright one?] was listening to me quiz my 7 yr dd in preparation for memory masters. [something we do in Classical Conversations]

Me: Kate what is an appositive

Kate: [Gives correct answer]

Linnea to her cousin: Emma, if you were an appositive, I would follow you.

I gave us a 9 :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: