Menu

Different personalities depending on the climate where we live?

Are people different because of where they live? Do people in areas of a longer summer season and short, mild winters have a more outgoing personality than those living in climates where wind, rain and snow are predominant?

Someone suggested there is something to this theory put forth years ago in some article in a health magazine. I wonder if the author was relating this to SAD (Seasonal Disorder affecting those who live in areas with little sunshine)

What do you think? Are Floridians more peppy than Minnesotans? :D

Well, I've lived in areas with different climates, and as far as I know, my personality hasn't changed.

My understanding is it is more about where you grew up, unless you have sent a very long time there.

Idk that I agreed with my teachers.

Here in oklahoma, if it snows a couple of inches, everyone stays home.

Up north, they get a lot of snow and just adjust and go out anyways.

To me that seems way more outgoing.:)

I can't think of anyone I like enough to shovel snow and dig out my car and suffer below freezing temps just to meet up with.

If they were in some kind of need, I might.

But otherwise, no way. My fanny is staying cozy by the fire.:)

I grew up in the midwest. We lived in the warm tropical south for five years and I felt like I actually LIVED for 12 months instead of 9. I despise winter. We're back in the midwest and I do feel like I'm hibernating this winter.

I don't know if I was more outgoing in the south but it was easier to go out. I didn't have to bundle up, shovel anything, or scrape a windshield. All I had to do there was put on my flip flops (which in a stretch I could wear out in February). You certainly do spend LESS time getting ready, which can affect mood.

I am not sure it has anything to do with the climate but when I lived in Texas, overall, I found people to be friendlier. People were more likely to strike up conversations in elevators or other public places. Here it seems like most people just keep their heads down and move about their business without a lot of interaction.

I don't think it has so much to do with climate as it does with upbringing. I think if a person is from a small town and had a rural up bringing that they will take that up brining with them wherever they go. If a person grows up in the hustle and bustle of a big city, that forms a part of their personality and they take that with them as well. I am a 4th generation native Floridian. I grew up a beach bum if you will and still carry that laid back kind of way of being with me. My husband is from the Caribbean, but he is from the capitol city where the majority of the people on the island live. He moved to New York City when he came to the US and even though the weather was a bit of a shock, he wound up falling right into city life without missing hardly a beat.

I find Floridians to be generally pleasant and laid back people, but down here we have a myriad of people from other states and countries. As I come across them in my day to day life, I would wager to say that they are pretty much the same as they were in their home state/country as they are living here now, with the exception of adjusting to the climate and culture here. I find the "big city people" still have a big city attitude and way of being and people from other countries still maintain their customs as much as they can here.

I know for my own family, being Spanish and Cuban, they maintained their culture and language very well here even in spite of living here for so long. We all grew up speaking Spanish and I know all of my family's stories all the way back to The Old Country.

That's been my experience for what it's worth.

I grew up in Northern California, just south of the Oregon border, and people in the area I lived in were not friendly or outgoing. I lived in the same house until I married and I barely knew any of my neighbors and the ones you did know, you kinda wished you didn't cause they weren't very nice. You could walk down the street and not one person would say hello. I hated it there and couldn't wait to leave.

We moved here to eastern WA 12 years ago and people are very different. People are nice, outgoing and friendly. I know most of my neighbors and I'm happy to know them. You walk down the street here, people not only will say hello but will start chatting with you as well. I love it here and I'm so glad my kids get to grow up here.

The town I grew up in was small (less than 10,000 people), now we live in a city (300,000 plus people). The climate was mild and moderate where I grew up (little change in weather and temps throughout the year), the city we live in has a full 4 seasons (hot summers, cold snowy winters).

I highly recommend this book. One of my favorite books of the past year. I loved it so much that I read it twice. Very insightful and often quite humorous. The author is as sharp as a tack. :D

bliss_pb.jpg

Yes, I do find that oftentimes, but not always, personalities are different in different climates. Just go to Britain smack-dab in the middle of February and then have the same exact British family come to the warm and sunny Caribbean a few weeks later ... you'll see a huge difference ;).

Yes, I do find that oftentimes, but not always, personalities are different in different climates. Just go to Britain smack-dab in the middle of February and then have the same exact British family come to the warm and sunny Caribbean a few weeks later ... you'll see a huge difference ;).

Since the British family in Britain in February is probably in the midst of their work and daily routines, and the same family in the Caribbean is most likely on vacation with not a care in the world, I don't see how this proves anything about climate.

I grew up in Florida and I am definitely neither peppy nor outgoing.

:D

I'm not sure about weather and climate affecting personality, but I think it probably can affect mood.

On the other hand, when I travel just a few hundred miles north, to Vancouver BC, I am always astonished at how many people are outside, even on bitter, rainy days, walking and chatting and generally in good spirits. Old, young, poor, rich, all colors, outside, walking, in all different kinds of neighborhoods. Americans, even in the hip, outdoorsy Seattle area, are less likely to go outside in cold or wet weather. I would guess, though obviously I do not have scientific data, that cultural differences impact how we respond to climate and weather.

Nice weather makes me a happier person, that's just the way I'm wired. I love a beautiful day. Winter in the Midwest is freezing cold, dark, long and makes me dread going out. I do it, but the joy is zapped out of me.

Yes, I remember growing up in a climate similar to the Midwest, freezing, snow until Easter, etc. Going out required preparations of 15 minutes or so just to be dressed appropriately. Now that I live in an area where winter is mostly rain, I still do more outside. Probably less of a personality thing than a mood issue as someone suggested. On the other side, temps in excess of F90 zap the energy out of me. So...I am maladjusted to either season and I am a whiner...;)