Menu

What would you give to a friend on bedrest?

A good book to read (or amazon gift card)

Her favorite snack, herbal tea, whatever. :)

Lap desk

Comfortable pillow, like the large ones meant to sit up against (with "arms")

"Spa" kit....scented lotion, nail polish, other pampering types of things

Gift card for food delivery

New set of nice sheets or a great cozy blanket/throw...or hey, how about a snuggie!! :lol::lol:

Slippers, slipper socks

A journal to write thoughts to the new baby, or just to remember for herself

I guess it depends on what she likes, what her interests are, etc. One of my best friends was on bed rest a few years ago and I brought her over a huge stack of fluff gossip mags (US magazine, People, Enquirer, etc) and some boxes of movie candy and she was in heaven. :lol: But to her, that was relaxing. Me, I would love a big pile of long books that I otherwise wouldn't have time to read, tea, and a few bags of M&Ms (all flavors). ;)

Having been on bedrest with two previous pregnancies, this is a question that I can answer! My list is almost entirely service related instead of physical gifts because those are the things that, IMO, a woman on bedrest really needs.

A nice long visit! I'm pretty introverted, but I was starving for face-to-face contact with other adults. If I end up on bedrest again, this would be the very best gift anyone could give me.

Someone to take a list of books, or authors I like, and make a library run for me on a weekly basis.

A Netflix subscription. (Assuming she doesn't already have one.)

Meals, so DH doesn't have to do all of the cooking and we could avoid excessive take-out.

Cleaning help.

Meals, so DH doesn't have to do all of the cooking and we could avoid excessive take-out.

Cleaning help.

These would be the biggies if it happened here ~ dh is gone 14hrs a day, so there is simply no way that he can take up the cooking & cleaning and while my kids are older, ds12 has special needs and dd14 would be running her tail off just minding him, never mind trying to run the house!

I'd find out what she needs *done* ...rather than what she wants in items. :)

Having been on bedrest with two previous pregnancies, this is a question that I can answer! My list is almost entirely service related instead of physical gifts because those are the things that, IMO, a woman on bedrest really needs.

A nice long visit! I'm pretty introverted, but I was starving for face-to-face contact with other adults. If I end up on bedrest again, this would be the very best gift anyone could give me.

Someone to take a list of books, or authors I like, and make a library run for me on a weekly basis.

A Netflix subscription. (Assuming she doesn't already have one.)

Cleaning help.

Me too. Both pregnancies. I agree with the above.

My husband would have appreciated not having to cook a meal or two.

Ditto cleaning help. Watching the mess pile up around the house drove me nuts. I was having fantasies of dusting, cleaning the toilet and shower...

I read books until my arms got tired or my eyes got lazy, then I listened to music.

Even if your friend isn't particularly crafty, it is the perfect time to learn a handicraft. Ask if she's ever wanted to learn how to knit or something. One of the best things I was brought was the gift of a few tatting needles, thread, a beginners book, and an hour of one on one instruction to get me started. It made me feel like less of a lump to have something to DO and something to show off.;) I finished a bonnet for my daughter and booties for my son; adorable!

Not that this is something you can really give, as it's too pricey, but I was thankful EVERY day for my tempur pedic knock-off mattress topper...

-dinner; good protein breakfast; lunch :D (you get the idea; meal preparation is difficult when one is forbidden from doing it!! other than gift cards for take out, you could also freeze meals in individual plastic containers that just need to be microwaved - that would be the best!!)

- any baby necessities she hasn't already prepared

- maybe offer to wash the baby clothes so they are ready, or other baby preparations

- visit, if she's the type to like company

-books on CD and handicrafts <-- these saved me during my pre-birth hospital stay with my twins. I listened to stories and did something with my hands and could just zone out. One couple sent over some of their favorite audio books and that was great. If your friend likes to crochet or knit or cross-stitch, I bet some new yarn or whatever would go over swimmingly.

-flowers. You don't get to go outside, and something pretty and nature-ish is very welcome.

-snacks. Whatever she likes. My sister-in-law sent me Jelly Bellys and I was delighted.

-company, if you're close.

-help with house and kids, if that's a necessity.

Edited by Britomart
spelling

Does she have other children?

I was on bedrest for awhile last year and someone coming to take the kids to the park would have been great. Or bringing them things to do - sticker books, ColorWonder markers, Redbox rentals, snack-y lunch foods they could fix themselves, and juice boxes, etc.

If she doesn't have other children (and even if she does):

magazines

a Kindle to borrow

books

puzzle books

hard candy

water bottles

snack-y healthy foods for her she doesn't have to prepare (string cheese, fruit, baby carrots, etc)

a visit!

new pajamas

soft socks

an offer to run some errands

a gift of a HOUSECLEANER once a week!!!

do some laundry or take some laundry to a drop-off place

a meal

some freezer meals

Service gifts would have been my favorite. It was a helpless feeling to be on bedrest and not be able to DO for my kids and family.

I've done bedrest during a few pregnancies too.....I agree that I made it through only with the help of large stacks of books and an internet connection

Beyond the practical help (asking: I would love to help you out. I can do laundry or clean bathrooms v. "Can I help you)

the greatest gifts were:

*books--the better engrossing the series, the better

*frozen meals

*snacks

*magazines

*handicrafts (I have learned to crochet, scrapbook, and handquilt)

*fresh flowers/potted plant

* an eggcarton topper for the mattress (about $15 at Wal-Mart)

*socks, gum, and mints

In terms of practical care items that were essential for me (depending on how well you know her):

*body wash wipes

*a shower chair and long shower adapter hose

*a mini fridge (so I didn't have to go down stairs to get a meal)

I was on bedrest with the boys for 5 months, 6 weeks of that in the hospital. I was very ill the entire time, so entertainment wouldn't have been helpful for me.

The whole time I was at home, I worried about how clean (or unclean) the bathrooms were, and about how the floors never were vacuumed or washed. DH doesn't do housework.

What I yearned for was a maid and company (another human being in the house with me during the long hours DH was at work), and someone besides DH (who never cooked before or since) to procure nutritious food with enough calories in it.

Hi Ronette,

That is very sweet you want to do something for her! I spent 3 months on bedrest with my son and 5 1/2 months on bedrest with my twins, and it can be very difficult.

Is she at home or in the hospital? If she is in the hospital you could contact the hospital and see if they have a DVD player and get her some movies, or my favorite a tv series on DVD :-) Flowers are also nice to cheer up a dreary room. Also magazines of a type she would enjoy, or books. I was so overwhelmed in the hospital I couldn't concentrate on books but everyone is different.

If she is at home I second giving a "service" of some sort over a material gift. If she doesn't want visitors I would make her some frozen meals so no one in the family has to cook. Offer to run errands, babysit kids, send a cleaning service or person over. It is so hard to be at home and watch it fall apart around your feet while all you can do is lay there and watch it happen.

I hope she can get further along in her pregnancy!

Marisa