Menu

If you wear custom made orthodics

What do you wear them in?

I am suffering more and more from my fallen arches/pf. I am going to see a doctor next week, and I know that the next step is orthodics. The Dansko clogs got me through a couple of years, but now I feel like I am in pain every day.

The thing is, I hate tennis shoes. I'm just not a sporty girl. I hate the way I feel in tennis shoes - like a frumpy old lady. I do wear jeans and casual clothes, and I know the Dansko clogs were not exactly elegant ... but still.

So if you have inserts and use them in something that doesn't make you feel like an inelegant clod, you you tell me what?

My dh and three kids use them (they're all flat-footed). They can pretty much wear them in anything that they can take the manufacturer's insert out of, to make space for the orthotic.

I personally wear Birkenstock sandals in the house ALL THE TIME. I wake up and put them on. I take them off right before sliding into bed. For feet issues, back issues, etc. It's made a huge difference. They also make shoes under the name "Footprints" that I have a pair of, and love.

The thing is, I hate tennis shoes. I'm just not a sporty girl. I hate the way I feel in tennis shoes - like a frumpy old lady. I do wear jeans and casual clothes, and I know the Dansko clogs were not exactly elegant ... but still.

Oh! I know just what you mean.

My everyday wardrobe is a pair of jeans, a nice top and a cute pair of ballet flats or something similar.

Since I have been wearing orthotics in tennis shoes, I feel like such a slob.

I think I am going to find a nice pair of every day shoes (they will probably have to be a bit more substantial that my regular flats) and have a second pair of orthotics made for them.

My back and my hips feel better than they have in YEARS, but I still don't like tennis shoes.

Edited by Crissy

If you can, see if you can go to Shoes n Feet http://www.shoesnfeet.com/ They are experts on problem feet. They have really good inserts there too.

I started out at Shoes n Feet, but when I later saw a podiatrist he told me that they gave me exactly the opposite kind of support than I need.

The young girls working in the store I went to didn't seem terribly 'expert' either.

I was disappointed.

I have loads of foot issues. My dr. Said that a lot of the inserts you can buy at the store are just as effective and cost tons less. So it is worth asking. I wear ugly shoes every day with inserts and am still in pain (I am icing my foot now). Let me just say...I would go with less fashionable shoes in exchange for limping and using crutches.

I started out at Shoes n Feet, but when I later saw a podiatrist he told me that they gave me exactly the opposite kind of support than I need.

The young girls working in the store I went to didn't seem terribly 'expert' either.

I was disappointed.

I'm sorry to hear that. The store we went to in Bellevue was great. I have horrible feet and have gone to a podiatrist and have $600 orthotics that really hurt but love the shoes and inserts I got at the store!

I wore custom orthotics for years. At this point I wear cheap inserts called WalkFit that feel exactly like my custom orthotics but cost only $20. I bought them at Target. I wear the inserts in boots or tennis shoes. I have tall boots for wearing with a skirt in the winter, and short boots that go well with jeans. Occasionally I get lucky and find a pretty shoe with a strap that can accommodate the inserts, but that is a rare find.

I also really like wearing Haflinger clogs in winter and Chaco sandals in summer. They are both quite supportive (more so than Dansko, which didn't work for me). I find that Birkenstocks are even more supportive (too much so for me).

I do NOT like the Chaco shoes--the footbed is not the same shape as the sandals, so it doesn't feel right to me. I love the Chaco sandals though.

Try the WalkFit supports before you head to the dr--you might find they do the trick. The difference between them and other OTC inserts is that they are rigid plastic, and waaaaaay more supportive in the arch than others I tried. They feel exactly like my custom orthotics.

When I wore orthotics I was in the service, so I wore them in a pair of uniform dress shoes and in my boondockers. When I went on liberty I tried to wear no shoes or sandals that were very flexible or easily removable.

My foot issues tend to be minimized if I avoid shoes altogether. Since I have to wear closed shoes for work, I wore aqua socks with extra insoles, until I bit the bullet during this pregnancy and broke in a pair of sneakers. I still prefer bare feet or very flexible sandals outside of work.

My foot issues tend to be minimized if I avoid shoes altogether. Since I have to wear closed shoes for work, I wore aqua socks with extra insoles, until I bit the bullet during this pregnancy and broke in a pair of sneakers. I still prefer bare feet or very flexible sandals outside of work.

I can't make coffee in the morning without shoes. Sometimes I get up at night to use to toilet and half way there thing "I should have slipped on my shoes" lol.

If you can, see if you can go to Shoes n Feet http://www.shoesnfeet.com/ They are experts on problem feet. They have really good inserts there too.

We do have other stores that cater to the same population, though. Maybe I should try those. I've been in, but they usually have many lines and Danskos are still the ones that fit right and feel right. I have a couple of pair of Orthoheel flip flops that are okay - very firm, supportive sole.

lace up shoes Kumfs brand. I wear them all year round. I don't care if I look daggy wearing lace up shoes with a dress in summer. I cannot walk a step without them. I need a shoe that will push my foot down onto my orthotic, and keep it tight, something with no foot movement in the shoe at all.

Edited by melissaL

My Dd wears custom made inserts... she only wears high top shoes/boots. Any other shoes her feet do not stay in them well with the inserts. To use her inserts she has to be able to remove the premade inserts that are in the shoes already.

Dd martial arts shoes, the custom inserts did not fit so the ortho made another insert to glue in the martial arts shoes. It isn't perfect but it is better than nothing.

• 5 months later...
Guest Domyjeans
I personally wear Birkenstock sandals in the house ALL THE TIME. I wake up and put them on. I take them off right before sliding into bed. For feet issues, back issues, etc. It's made a huge difference. They also make shoes under the name "Footprints" that I have a pair of, and love.

I have Birkenstock sandals too, for years now. Birkenstock and Mephisto are really good for quality sandals!

I was shocked at the flimsy piece of plastic which cost me several hundred dollars. These are my custom orthodics. I also hate tennis shoes and that's mainly what I had to wear mine in. I also bought a police boot. Yes, just as lovely. I had a very hard time finding anything to fit my orthodic in. Boots can take them in but they aren't held in place well and shift. This caused me MORE pain. They are hard as a rock! Yes, they did take away my foot pain, but so have many SOFT sandals I've found to wear this summer. The sandals are FAR more comfortable and I don't understand why winter shoes aren't made with the same soft materials.

I'm going to try Happy Feet. I think that's what it's called. You stand on a platform and a computer reads your feet and then makes your custom shoe. I saw them in a mall in MA and I want to give it a try.

I hate the orthodics, mainly because they're SO hard and it's so difficult to find anything to put them in other than a sneaker. If I never wore a sneaker again for anything other than hiking, I'd be a happy camper.

I can't make coffee in the morning without shoes. Sometimes I get up at night to use to toilet and half way there thing "I should have slipped on my shoes" lol.

This is me! When our family stayed with my parents in AZ for a week, I wore comfortable shoes the ENTIRE time and STILL was in excruciating pain due to all the tile in their house. I popped Advil for two weeks after that visit. The pain eventually radiated all the way through my legs and up to my hips!