Menu

I have the curriculum BLAHS!!!! Anyone....

simka2

We're working our way through Real Science Odyssey Earth Science and LOVING it! The experiments are really fun and directly demonstrate what you just read on the information sheet. My goal was to add more hands on stuff to our day and this science curricula was just the ticket. There is an experiment every science day (T,Th)!

Last year we enjoyed doing chemistry experiments in Super Science Concoctions.

We're studying Native Americans and Pioneers for history. We're making a complete Indian outfit and cooking many of the foods the Pioneers ate. That's been fun. :001_smile:

I just got the okay from DH to purchase the Lego WeDo robotics curriculum for next year. :D I'm excited about it because it is theme based (machines, soccer, animals) which fits my ADD daughter's learning style perfectly, and it contains activities for math and language arts in addition to the obvious science content.

Thank you for posting about this. I just took a look and my older DS would pop a gasket if he could do something like this (looking more at mindstorms with him). :001_smile:

I just purchased the Intellego K-2 Civics package when it was half off and I am REALLY excited about it. It includes the basics about gov't in one of the three downloads, but the two I'm really excited about cover a few leaders in America (and not just presidents!) and national symbols. I'm pretty excited about it all. I'm also excited about the Economics package. :)

I still love All About Spelling. We started this 2 years ago and I would never give it up! :001_smile:

We haven't officially started MEP yet, but I have gone through the lesson plans and did a lot of research. It's all printed and ready to go for tomorrow. I've been excited about this for a couple weeks now! :001_smile:

We're getting ready to get out of our MATH BLAH!! We've got MM coming soon!!! :D

And we're starting All about spelling this week!!! Dropped SS to go to AAS! So we're super excited.

My dd7 asked today if she could start on AAS, but I had to say no because we've yet to get our TM for it..:p She was so cute about it...

I am adapting Ronald Wardhaugh's Understanding English Grammar to dd8's level, taking notes as I go and (theoretically) thus creating my own structural grammar curriculum.

It seems to be working pretty well so far. She can tell me (for instance) how she knows that tove and wabe are nouns in 'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves/ Did gyre and gimble in the wabe; and some quick ways to demonstrate that words like verb, action, and emptiness are nouns, even though they don't seem much like persons, places, things, or ideas.

Anyway, I'm finding this pretty exciting!:D

I am adapting Ronald Wardhaugh's Understanding English Grammar to dd8's level, taking notes as I go and (theoretically) thus creating my own structural grammar curriculum.

It seems to be working pretty well so far. She can tell me (for instance) how she knows that tove and wabe are nouns in 'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves/ Did gyre and gimble in the wabe; and some quick ways to demonstrate that words like verb, action, and emptiness are nouns, even though they don't seem much like persons, places, things, or ideas.

Anyway, I'm finding this pretty exciting!:D

I might have to look into this as grammar is NOT my strength!!!

Finally received the student notebook for Phonics Road 2, so we were finally starting that!!! Yay!

I am also loving McRuffy K math. My busy guy and I are both really enjoying the lessons.

Maybe take a couple of weeks off from regular school work and listen to some great audio books, go on a field trip or two and then re-visit your curriculum when everyone is refreshed!

My kids would go crazy too! i'm trying to find a way to bring the cost down a bit ;)

I switched to AO this year and love it. I have to say though, I wasn't blah with TWTM, but my reasoning was that Dd 16 needed more time to go through the list-she's such a deep reader and I have too many kids to have everyone doing thier own thing. There's just not enough wine for that.

If you have a kindle, AO could pretty much be free.

I just purchased the Intellego K-2 Civics package when it was half off and I am REALLY excited about it. It includes the basics about gov't in one of the three downloads, but the two I'm really excited about cover a few leaders in America (and not just presidents!) and national symbols. I'm pretty excited about it all. I'm also excited about the Economics package. :)

Whaaah!?!?! When was it half off? :(

I switched to AO this year and love it. I have to say though, I wasn't blah with TWTM, but my reasoning was that Dd 16 needed more time to go through the list-she's such a deep reader and I have too many kids to have everyone doing thier own thing. There's just not enough wine for that.

:iagree:I have almost 600 books on my Kindle from AO, OFE, and other sources. I have spent only 95.00! :)

:iagree:I have almost 600 books on my Kindle from AO, OFE, and other sources. I have spent only 95.00! :)

Man...maybe I DO need a Kindle. :glare: I've been fighting it, big time. I just really love books, ya know? But this is tempting me...

And I am :lol: about there not being enough wine for that....I hear you. :lol:

Edited by blakereese

This is a good time of year to stop for a while (or more) and do a unit study. Just find something you really want to do and do it for a week. Last year I did a mystery week using a workbook, but it's a fuzz on the old side for your kids. You're coming up on Valentine's, so that would be an idea. You could read about Valentine's, craft valentine's, do all your math about valentines or with red pencils, etc. One year, when dd was closer to the ages of yours, I came across a link (maybe at Hallmark's site?) that had a holiday generator for every day of the year. And it was nutty stuff like National Oreo Cookie Day and that sort of thing. We spent a whole month with that, celebrating a different "holiday" each day. It pepped us to get through our regular stuff, knowing something fun was coming! Or you could take a whole week and do fieldtrips. Or take a week to take up a new hobby (tennis, rollerblading, ice skating, woodcrafting or whittling, etc.). One year we spent a week celebrating Groundhog Day. I had groundhog day math pages, craft pages, writing, etc. The booklets of pages were of course covered in brown construction paper made to look like a groundhog. Gotta keep things spicy! :)

Man...maybe I DO need a Kindle. :glare: I've been fighting it, big time. I just really love books, ya know? But this is tempting me...

And I am :lol: about there not being enough wine for that....I hear you. :lol:

I totally understand-really. I am a person that takes massive pride in our personal library.

I didn't 'get' it until I got the kindle for Christmas. And then I downloaded 170 free books...all classics.

To be honest there are some that I WILL buy eventually because I am not just investing in the books for MY Children, but for my grandchildren, so that if they homeschool...

A girl can dream...

But there's still not a day that goes buy where I don't look through the free kindle books available. :D:D

Go take a look yourself...