Menu

Downton Abbey on PBS

No, it was just MEAN to tease those of us who have to wait to see the next episode!!

Not trying to be mean; just wanting to whet your appetite for the next show. :D And, I did try really hard not to give anything away.....after all, O'Brien and Thomas are constantly doing something so terrible you can't imagine they could get any worse, but they continue to do so at an alarming rate.

Really, who knows what will happen with any character? O'Brien is such a hardened soul, it's possible she will justify her actions/attitudes (like she always does) and remain a Character of Contention......but I was hoping to see a change as I always like to see reform for the better in a person. Sometimes, people need to see themselves for what they are before they can change, or see that they don't want to be what they are......and I'm just hoping her latest misdeed will be that catalyst. One can always hope :001_smile:

There are just so many story lines and possibilities in all the characters. I really can't wait for the new series to come out!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DH and I finished it up on Friday night. We watched the original 7 episode version. I'm curious about the 4 episode version though. Is it maybe the same, just longer episodes (thus making fewer eps)? I can't see that they could cut anything out and have it still make sense.

It was sooooo good! They're going to start filming the second season next month! I'm so excited. I LOVE Maggie Smith (she stole every scene she was in IMO) and Brenden Coyle (Mr. Bates) is fantastic. Actually, I think the whole cast is excellent.

I find the whole situation for women during that time incredibly fascinating. I feel really sorry for Mary because she's in a weird place. She has no value as anything but a wife and who she marries is socially important. I know this went on for hundreds (well, thousands really) of years, but the fact that it was still the situation in the 1900's is amazing to me.

Until you watch the last episode, you don't realize how truly horrible O'Brien can be.....and I don't think even she knows until she does it......but I honestly think because of these circumstances, we will see a total change/turn-about in her character. At least, I really hope so. I predict she will become the most loyal and devoted servant to the family, never leaving them even if they can't pay her (because of the war or whatever), and carry her misdeed to her grave.

That wasn't too much of a spoiler, was it?? :D

YES! Dh and I were shocked when we saw the last ep! Darn, I wish it were over in the States so we could talk about it more!!!!

LOVING this series. I've been looking at Matthew's mother, trying to figure out where where I've seen her before. DH is on call this weekend, so I'm settled on the couch for some chocolate and Wives and Daughters, and lo and behold, there she is playing Mrs. Hamley :D

She is also the Prime Minister Harriet Jones on Dr. Who :D

I find the whole situation for women during that time incredibly fascinating. I feel really sorry for Mary because she's in a weird place. She has no value as anything but a wife and who she marries is socially important. I know this went on for hundreds (well, thousands really) of years, but the fact that it was still the situation in the 1900's is amazing to me.

Me too. I didn't realize this was still going on in 1913.

But Elizabeth McGovern is still so beautiful!

I think so too! It's just that if she is old enough to play the mother of grown children, then that means I must be old enough to be the mother of grown children. And I prefer to think of myself as far too young for that! ;)

I'm so excited for the last episode tonight.

So, I'm thinking they haven't really shortened it, they've just combined 6 1 hr episodes into 4 1-1/2 hrs episodes, right? I watched episode one streaming on PBS and it was soooo choppy, so I forked out the $2.99 to download episode one on iTunes--and it was shorter by about 30 minutes than the one shown on PBS, but they have six episodes available for sale.

I'm so excited for the last episode tonight.

So, I'm thinking they haven't really shortened it, they've just combined 6 1 hr episodes into 4 1-1/2 hrs episodes, right? I watched episode one streaming on PBS and it was soooo choppy, so I forked out the $2.99 to download episode one on iTunes--and it was shorter by about 30 minutes than the one shown on PBS, but they have six episodes available for sale.

I thought this had to be it. I just couldn't see what they could possibly cut out without losing so much of the story.

I'm so glad it's over in the States tonight so we can talk about it!

I love Mr. Carson's voice too. I think he sounds a little like James Earl Jones.

Wasn't that the same actor who played Captain Brown in Cranford? I watched Return to Cranford last night and there was Mary too! It's fun seeing these actors in such different roles. I think I watch more British drama than I do American TV, so I am constantly recognizing them.:)

Wasn't that the same actor who played Captain Brown in Cranford? I watched Return to Cranford last night and there was Mary too! It's fun seeing these actors in such different roles. I think I watch more British drama than I do American TV, so I am constantly recognizing them.:)

Me too, LOL! Continuing with my W&D marathon as I write this :D Yes, that's the same actor who played Captain Brown. I didn't recognize Mary as the same actress in Cranford though. I couldn't think who she played until I looked it up on IMDB.

Argh..all I can say is urggh. I hate unresolved things, I hate when characters I'm finally coming to like do something so stupid (Mary), and I don't like it when the bad guy isn't punished immediately! LOL

Now..not only do we have to wait for production to end, but then I have to wait for it to be shown in the States!

Well, I watched the PBS show tonight and was simply appalled at all that was left out. So many scenes were cut! Arrrrgh! I really feel for all of you that don't have the DVDs; this was just so....choppy. Hoping you can all get the DVDs and see what you missed. I'm so sorry they did that. :confused:

Well, I watched the PBS show tonight and was simply appalled at all that was left out. So many scenes were cut! Arrrrgh! I really feel for all of you that don't have the DVDs; this was just so....choppy. Hoping you can all get the DVDs and see what you missed. I'm so sorry they did that. :confused:

I did not find it choppy until the scene when they were all returning from London. Hello, we never knew they were going there!

I am wondering if they left out any Mary-Matthew scenes?

I was glad to see Edith get a little payback, I just know it's probably going to come back and bite Mary.

I really like Anna!

And Sybil will end up with the chauffeur before it's all over, I predict. Another shocking sign of the changing times...

DH and I were wondering about the London cutover scene, too. I had thought they weren't cutting anything out, but then THAT happened and, well, I felt gypped! I wonder what O'Brien is going to do now that she's got all that guilt on her head. I wouldn't be surprised to see her A) commit suicide or B) turn a new leaf and become a truly sweet woman. I'm sure the truth will come out somehow, though. I hope they continue to follow Thomas and the doctor because I want to see him get a real comeuppance, too. Resigning and running away doesn't cut it for me. I hope Matthew stays and he and Mary are able to work something out... plus if he and his mother leave, I don't know what I'd do. I can't imagine the show without the "put that in your pipe and smoke it" tiffs between the Lady Dowager and Mrs. Crawley. And of course poor Daisy HAS to end up with William. SO MANY STORY LINES!! They better get this one ready to air soon. I might die without it... and I'm definitely going to have to find the DVDs somewhere.

I think I am going to buy the DVDs. Amazon has the original UK edition for $16.99.

I saw this thread a few days ago, and just had to watch the first episode. And then, of course, I had to watch every available episode this weekend instead of the work I was supposed to do.:tongue_smilie:I loved the show, especially Dame Maggie Smith. She has the best lines!

I know Edith has done some truly nasty things...but I really felt badly for her (and that nice gentleman who wanted to propose to her). I truly dislike Mary and was so excited when I thought for a moment that Sybil and Matthew had connected...sigh. Matthew deserves better than her (Mary, that is).

NEXT FALL? Really?

It did seem choppy in places....did they show the London parties at all?

I was glad to see Edith get a little payback, I just know it's probably going to come back and bite Mary.

Earlier when I said I couldn't believe Mary did something so stupid, this is what I was talking about. Regardless of with Edith did, I found this reprehensible. Well, what Edith did was, too...

This is the one thing I'm having problems with in all the novels of this ilk..the constant scheming to effect other people's lives. It irritates me LOLOL Even Dh, who is NO fan of these kinds of shows (but did watch it with me so that I'd stay in the living room with him) was caught up in the scheming and mad at Mary for what she did.

I know Edith has done some truly nasty things...but I really felt badly for her (and that nice gentleman who wanted to propose to her). I truly dislike Mary and was so excited when I thought for a moment that Sybil and Matthew had connected...sigh. Matthew deserves better than her (Mary, that is).

NEXT FALL? Really?

Christmas 2011 is what ITV was reporting - and that's for the UK. It may be another 3-4 months before it shows here as that was about the delay from when it originally aired until we saw it.

No, on the DVDs they didn't show anything of the London season. They referred several times to Sybil's ball, but they didn't show anything of it. What a disappointment!

The only London scenes on the DVD were Mary's talk with Aunt Rosamund, Mary's talk with Evelyn, and of course Anna and Mrs. Patmore's medical trip.

Earlier when I said I couldn't believe Mary did something so stupid, this is what I was talking about. Regardless of with Edith did, I found this reprehensible. Well, what Edith did was, too...

This is the one thing I'm having problems with in all the novels of this ilk..the constant scheming to effect other people's lives. It irritates me LOLOL Even Dh, who is NO fan of these kinds of shows (but did watch it with me so that I'd stay in the living room with him) was caught up in the scheming and mad at Mary for what she did.

As I said earlier in this thread, I think Mary is an evolving character. I think we're going to see a lot more change in her, but change doesn't come easy for any of us, does it? It's kind of a bounce-and-jiggle between new and old until the new finally prevails, kwim?

I think the biggest reason she didn't say yes to Matthew right away is because she knows she has to tell him about the Turk. The fact that she didn't marry M quickly, without a confession, reveals a lot about her, that she is actually afraid to lose Matthew, and does have a sense of morality. If Matthew is the "Mr. Darcy" of this series (which I hope he remains, and doesn't flake out on us!), I expect that he'll be true through to the end, despite his current misgivings. That's just my pair o'pennies, restated.

I went to bed last night thinking that if Mary would've just married Matthew at the beginning of summer then Edith could've been happily married as well. The storyline would be a lot more boring, but a lot happier. :)

I worry that this isn't the last we've seen of Thomas. I really wish he'd get his comeuppance.

Yes, I worry about who else might go off to war and end up having to be treated (or euthanized!) by Thomas the Medic.

Well, just to see the London parties I will have to queue up for the DVDs at the library. Maybe each of the other 57 patrons ahead of me will sit down and watch the whole series at once and return them quickly! At that rate I may get to see the refresher course just before the start of Season 2.

Oh, and I forgot to say how much I loved that Lord Grantham cried about the baby. I would love for him to be my dad.

Was anyone reminded of another famous movie during the last few scenes of the last episode? Like, when Carson and Mary were standing with the sun to their backs and he was consoling her? And the fact that they were at a party and the news arrived about the war? How about during an earlier episode when Mary said to Cora, "You know how you always say things will look brighter in the morning?"

I was actually laughing because it seemed such a take-off of this other movie. And Mary is so much like the movie's heroine...she even looks a bit like her.

It's a movie that everyone has seen.

Was anyone reminded of another famous movie during the last few scenes of the last episode? Like, when Carson and Mary were standing with the sun to their backs and he was consoling her? And the fact that they were at a party and the news arrived about the war? How about during an earlier episode when Mary said to Cora, "You know how you always say things will look brighter in the morning?"

I was actually laughing because it seemed such a take-off of this other movie. And Mary is so much like the movie's heroine...she even looks a bit like her.

It's a movie that everyone has seen.

I know, I know :001_smile: Is it Gone With the Wind?

I think Thomas will be in the new shows. Wikipedia (which I know isn't always a reliable authority) says that the actor who plays Thomas has signed up for the new series.

Can't wait for Downton Abbey II!!

Mary

The last episode for the current series was last night. You can watch it on the PBS web site though. I believe it will be there until Feb. 22. There are four episodes at 1 1/2 hours each.

Mary

THANKS, MARY! BTW, what day/time was it on? Just for an idea. I'll check out their website until the new season begins. Wait...I don't understand 4 episodes. How does it work? Is it not from Sept to May, the traditional broadcast season for a show?

We watched the 7 episode series, but feel we missed something. Did they ever explain what happened with Mr. Pamuk (the Turk)? It was so out of nowhere that he died. There was no mention of any kind of affliction and he was a young man. Why did he die? James Bond was certain it was going to turn out that Mrs. Patmore had poisoned him by accident (maybe on tea tray she sent up) because they kept making a point of showing the poison in the kitchen and how she was using the wrong stuff. The version we watched had a big skip in it and we missed probably 15-20 minutes of ep. 5 (IIRC). Did they ever mention how he died or why?

I can't BELIEVE we have to wait so long for the next season. We're thinking about going to London this summer and I mentioned to James Bond that I'd like to take a trip out to Highclere Castle (where the show is filmed). It's about an hour outside of London. How much fun would that be? For those who may not know, it is the home of the Earl of Carnarvon. The current Earl is the 8th Earl of Carnarvon, and the 5th Earl funded Howard Carter's trip to Egypt and was there when the tomb of King Tut was opened. They apparently have a huge Egyptian exhibit at the castle. You can check out the castle website here. From their site re: DA II:

Downton Abbey, the major new drama series from ITV was filmed on location here at Highclere Castle. A second series of this very successful production is being filmed at Highclere Castle next year and will be screened in Autumn 2011

THANKS, MARY! BTW, what day/time was it on? Just for an idea. I'll check out their website until the new season begins. Wait...I don't understand 4 episodes. How does it work? Is it not from Sept to May, the traditional broadcast season for a show?

It is a British show and their seasons run differently than in the US. Lots of times they have only a few episodes of a show per season. It is on Masterpiece Theater on Sunday nights at 9.

I got caught up with the new Sherlock Holmes series the same way. I saw episodes 2 and 3 (which was a cliff-hanger) and then found out there were only 3 episodes. I have to wait for them to film the next few, show them in Britain and THEN make it to PBS : ( Now I have to wait for Downton Abbey too!

Mary

Mr. Pamuk died of a heart attack. Robert mentioned that the doctor had examined him and said that. If you missed that, you probably missed that Mary was in tears the whole next day (though she was trying hard to be brave) and she actually sat in his bedroom grieving. She and Mr. Carson had a talk about how she felt she had felt happiness for a moment and was now afraid she would never find it again.

There are places in the series where Mary is so vulnerable. She has moments of kindness. She's not perfect, but I can't despise her.

Edited by Rebecca VA

That link says it's the unedited UK version. I just ordered it. Can't wait until it's here!

Where does it say it is the UK version? I couldn't find it on the page. It says is is 368 min. long, which is the same length as the PBS version, so I'm confused. This same set is available at Costco right now for $15.99 I believe.

Mary

It is a British show and their seasons run differently than in the US. Lots of times they have only a few episodes of a show per season. It is on Masterpiece Theater on Sunday nights at 9.

I got caught up with the new Sherlock Holmes series the same way. I saw episodes 2 and 3 (which was a cliff-hanger) and then found out there were only 3 episodes. I have to wait for them to film the next few, show them in Britain and THEN make it to PBS : ( Now I have to wait for Downton Abbey too!

Mary

Thanks, Mary! I pm'd you!