Menu

Eating fish - and they all seem to be frozen Products of China!

GRRR. We love fish of all types. At one time my dh and I ate fish several times a week. We slacked off while trying to stretch our food bill. After all the weird food scares from China I began noticing that many food products are from China - such as the the juice concentrate in some frozen juices. A month or so ago when I was ready to buy fish again (frozen) and noticed that nearly every package in our grocery store and Sams says 'Product of China'. It doesn't matter what kind of fish it is or where it was caught. I assume that means the fish is caught, then taken to China for processing, then shipped to the US.

The only fish I can find that comes from the USA is catfish. I can buy whiting from another country. Some of the plastic wrapped 'fresh' fish comes from Latin America but after the meat dept man told me the fish arrives frozen, then is thawed, I am completely turned off.

My dh isn't a fisherman, and honestly doesn't have time to be one. We don't have a fish market or anything similar. Are there brands that I can look for that are not Products of China? Any ideas?

It's a little pricey, but Full Circle does organic fish. I purchase salmon. In order to be organic, it's obviously farm raised which isn't ideal but at least not likely to be too mercury and lead enhanced.

Oh, and I buy it at Meijers here in the Midwest.

Faith

Edited by FaithManor
missing information

Thanks for the suggestions. I will look for Trident at Sams when I go back. It may have been there and I overlooked it. Unfortunately we don't have a Trader Joes in our state, or a Meijers. Sigh. Finding good reputable food shouldn't be this hard.

You might also check around your area to see if there are any local fish farms. I know where we are there are several tilapia farms. Farm raised isn't my first choice, but at least I know where it came from.

Thank you. I had not thought of that.

Have you thought about purchasing fresh fish from a US market and having it shipped to your home next-day delivery?

We did this with a salmon from Pike Place Fish Market in Seattle, Washington. They caught it fresh, cut it into 1-pound servings, and shipped it to our home in the Midwest. This one fish will last us approx. a year and I think the total cost was $250. We ordered scallops as well.

Now that we know we can do this, and that the fish is amazingly fresh, we will do it more often with other types of fish. There is no reason to buy from China when we have perfectly good fish markets here in the US that will ship directly to your house.

Have you thought about purchasing fresh fish from a US market and having it shipped to your home next-day delivery?

We did this with a salmon from Pike Place Fish Market in Seattle, Washington. They caught it fresh, cut it into 1-pound servings, and shipped it to our home in the Midwest. This one fish will last us approx. a year and I think the total cost was $250. We ordered scallops as well.

Now that we know we can do this, and that the fish is amazingly fresh, we will do it more often with other types of fish. There is no reason to buy from China when we have perfectly good fish markets here in the US that will ship directly to your house.

I like this idea a lot. Just curious, how did you decide to go this route? Did they prepare the fish as you wanted - say fillets instead of steaks? Was the fish market recommended to you? Are you using this market for your other fish purchases?

I like this idea a lot. Just curious, how did you decide to go this route? Did they prepare the fish as you wanted - say fillets instead of steaks? Was the fish market recommended to you? Are you using this market for your other fish purchases?

My dh went there on a business trip in November and I went along. The guy from work that was 'hosting' us (he was dh's boss-for-the-trip) took us to the Fish Market, but he, living in the Midwest as well, bought fish from there all the time and so knew you could.

We had a good time looking at all the fish, and then dh inquired about their catching and shipping to us, and they worked it all out. We asked that the salmon be cut into steaks. They will do whatever you ask. We could have picked out our fresh fish right there, but we weren't going to be home for a week, so we just placed an order for them to catch a fish on a specific date and have it shipped that same day. They are happy to do that when you ask/order.

I'm glad we found out about this place and we'll definitely be ordering from them again. Their prices are good, the shipping is outrageous but that is what next-day shipping costs, but the quality of the fish is outstanding....plus I know that it was caught and processed in the US and is helping/directly impacting our economy and our workers.

:drool:

Do you live in the Midwest somewhere? We live in NJ and eat fish at least once a week. DH is a fisherman but the only thing we eat that he catches is flounder and that's obviously seasonal. I have never seen fish from China in our local (small chain) supermarket. I'm wondering if the difference is that we are not far from coastal areas.

Katia, I see the market is closed until February so I'll ask you instead. They list where some of their seafood is from ( such as shrimp from the Gulf of Mexico) but don't list where tilapia is from. They do say much of the fish is previously frozen, which I don't mind, but I don't want to pay $65 to ship the same fish I can buy at Walmart. Do you know if they normally disclose where their stuff is from?

Katia, I see the market is closed until February so I'll ask you instead. They list where some of their seafood is from ( such as shrimp from the Gulf of Mexico) but don't list where tilapia is from. They do say much of the fish is previously frozen, which I don't mind, but I don't want to pay $65 to ship the same fish I can buy at Walmart. Do you know if they normally disclose where their stuff is from?

They were very open and honest with us, so I am suspecting that all you would have to do is ask. They will tell you what they catch fresh and what they don't; at least that was our experience with them in person.

I think it is also important to go write to the store and tell them your concerns.

I don't have trader Joe's or Costco but we do have Wegmans. They also sell salmon from china. The tilapia is from Argentina. I don't understand how fish can be raised, slaughtered, processed into individula fillets and shipped frozen in big refridgerated airplanes and driven across the country in freezer trucks and STILL be cheaper than fish from this country. That scares me a little.

When the Olympics took place in Bejing there was a very interesting story in the NYT about the person in charge of food for the US olympians. She ended up bringing all most ALL the food needed by the US athletes because of her worries about chineese food. The meat was so full of hormones it would have triggered a positive steriod test for a US athlete. This was food from the markets that is sold to the citizens. That made me sad.

Pike Place Fish Market is very well known in these parts. It's a tourist stop but fun for locals too. My understanding is that it is a good place to work; they treat their employees well, and many of them have been there for many years. It's a fun place to go because they chant and throw the fish back and forth. They have an angler fish (I think) that they set out which is rigged so they can pull a string and make it jump at unsuspecting visitors. They got me with it once.

Their website gives information on the employees, their business philosophy, and shipping info. I would definitely trust anything coming from there.

ETA: If you search for them on you tube, you can find videos of them in action, especially if you add "fish throwing" to your search.