Menu

In the spirit of ancient RC/EO practices (Protestants, too), may I suggest LOTH?

You guys may know this already but I thought I would bring up the Liturgy of the Hours. A couple of threads have discussions on how to live fully as RC/EO and some Protestants have similar views on the subject. Also, it ties in with monastic living where people pray in communion several times a day (7). You order your day around prayer. So instead of working your schedule around your homeschool subjects, you work your homeschool in the times around prayer. My family started this and it has helped in a lot of mysterious ways. (Ahem, when we follow it). Despite all my faults and failures in trying to raise religious Catholics, the LOTH gives me some comfort knowing that I am at least practicing make God the center of the day, not just a 1 hour weekly duty for Sunday.

http://divineoffice.org/

Protestants (I don't know which kind) ALSO have this tradition of LOTH.

Hah! I got the app for my iTouch. I was too cheap to get the set of books.

I have a book of Shorter Christian Prayer and it was difficult to learn how to use. I love the app. I turn it on and it has the day's readings and prayers all ready to do. And it was FREE!

Yeah, us with our cool apps!

I have a book of Shorter Christian Prayer and it was difficult to learn how to use. I love the app. I turn it on and it has the day's readings and prayers all ready to do. And it was FREE!

Yeah, us with our cool apps!

Yeah, the books are hard. It took us about a year to follow the LOTH and we wouldn't have done it without the website. Just click and go! The app is the icing on the cake. The kids argue about who gets to use the iTouch.

You know what I loved learning/realizing recently? When I was protestant, "concerts of prayer" were sort of a big thing -- people signing up to pray around the clock for "breakthrough" in the church. Well, now I realize that the monastics specifically and the Church generally is a constant "concert of prayer" (with the praying of The Hours) -- the practice is quite ancient. I thought that was cool.

At the Evlogia blog, Katherine has a booklet of The Hours for moms to pray throughout the day. There's also a bit of a longer version here.

Thank you so much for posting this. I just added it to my phone and look forward to making use of it. My prayer life definitely needs a kick in the pants.

Mine does too. I don't want to leave the impression that I am all goodie two shoes about being Catholic. I am getting back to LOTH. Toddler boy came into my bed yesterday morning and asked, "Are we not doing prayers anymore?" Yikes!

What's the iPod app? Thanks!

The app is the same thing as what is on the website. It downloads all the prayers and hymns to your device so that you can pray wherever. If you download in the morning, you can still pray with your device if you are in a place with no wifi.

If you are Protestant (like me) but still want the prayers through the day (like me) there is a new book out that is AWESOME.

It is called Common Prayer: A Liturgy for Ordinary Radicals

I first saw this book mentioned on Ann Voskamp's blog, A Holy Experience.

I have used the Divine Office and I've used Phyllis Tickle's books in the past - and love them as well - but there are sometimes a few things in it that confuse me or I don't get. (Just b/c I'm not Catholic, I think.)

But, what is neat about this book, Common Prayer, is at the beginning there are lots of explanations for people like me who weren't raised in a liturgical setting. I really, really like it!!

HTH!

Can you explain a bit more? On the website (divineoffice.org) it says this: " The Liturgy of the Hours is the prayer of the whole People of God." and then goes on with more beautiful terms and yet not really explaining HOW to do this. Read it all out loud? What does "ant." stand for? The prayers are readings from the Psalms and what else?

I just need a little clarity in concrete terms. :) Thanks!

Can you explain a bit more? On the website (divineoffice.org) it says this: " The Liturgy of the Hours is the prayer of the whole People of God." and then goes on with more beautiful terms and yet not really explaining HOW to do this. Read it all out loud? What does "ant." stand for? The prayers are readings from the Psalms and what else?

I just need a little clarity in concrete terms. :) Thanks!

Gladly, and if somebody else wants to jump in where I have erred, please do so.

There are several prayers: Office of the Reading, Morning, Midday, Evening, and Nightime. These sets of prayers contain portions mostly from the Psalms, some other parts of scripture, and writings of the Church Fathers (oh yeah, hymns as well).

Ant. means antiphon and you say it in communion (all together now!). It is basically a refrain.

The invitatory is said before every prayer set. So in the morning, you click on the invitatory tab. You can say the whole thing or simply repeat the parts that are in red. Then you would click the Morning Prayer tab and go through that. Sometime between 10am and 2pm, you do the Invitatory tab and the Midday tab. Late afternoon to early evening, you do the Invitatory tab and the Evening tab. Right before bed, do the Invitatory tab and the Nighttime tab.

Office of the Readings tab can be done at anytime of the day or even the night before.

Divineorg has audio files so you can click on those and you will hear people reciting the prayers and singing the hymns. All you have to do is follow along. The text at the top of each tab's page contain where to look in the Liturgy of the Hours books in case people want to look in them instead of on the computer screen.

If you are Protestant (like me) but still want the prayers through the day (like me) there is a new book out that is AWESOME.

I first saw this book mentioned on Ann Voskamp's blog, A Holy Experience.

I have used the Divine Office and I've used Phyllis Tickle's books in the past - and love them as well - but there are sometimes a few things in it that confuse me or I don't get. (Just b/c I'm not Catholic, I think.)

But, what is neat about this book, Common Prayer, is at the beginning there are lots of explanations for people like me who weren't raised in a liturgical setting. I really, really like it!!

HTH!

Thanks Candace. I think my dh and I will enjoy reading it. :)

Thank you so much for posting this link.

I followed it and the book sounds good, I will probably add it to my wishlist. What was awesome however was the section Customers who bought this also bouht... listed a book I purchased a couple of months ago that I was very excited about and then forgot. :rolleyes: I am off to find it now.

Thanks for the reminder.

I get the magazine Magnificat, which has morning prayer, the Mass readings, and evening prayer for each day. I love it! There's no figuring anything out, just open it to the page for the day and pray!

http://www.magnificat.com/

I enjoyed the 6-month subscription that I had. But it was too expensive to renew so often. I do wish it were less expensive. I don't know how it could be cheaper unless the publisher takes on advertising.

I enjoyed the 6-month subscription that I had. But it was too expensive to renew so often. I do wish it were less expensive. I don't know how it could be cheaper unless the publisher takes on advertising.

It is expensive. I pay for it out of my birthday and Mothers' Day money. But it has been so worth it for me!

I started praying the LOTH earlier in the year, and I was reading them from the http://divineoffice.org/. Then I bought the Christian Prayer so that I wouldn't need a computer to say the LOTH. I don't have a smartphone (at least not yet). I found it difficult to use, so I bought Divine Office for Dodos :lol: It took several days before I got the hang of it.

Most days I do the Morning Prayer, but the Evening and Night Prayers have been harder to get into my day.

The days when I get in most of the LOTH seem to go so much better because my hear and mind are always brought back to God.

I can't find the free app you are talking about. The ones I see are paid apps. :confused:

I do have the Magnificat app. It is free and then it is $1.99 a month for the content -- much cheaper than a paper subscription.

Also, I set the alarm on my ITouch for the church bells to ring in the morning, afternoon and at night to remind me to pray. Now I just need to get better at stopping and doing it instead of ignoring the alarm. :glare:

I can't find the free app you are talking about. The ones I see are paid apps. :confused:

I do have the Magnificat app. It is free and then it is $1.99 a month for the content -- much cheaper than a paper subscription.

Also, I set the alarm on my ITouch for the church bells to ring in the morning, afternoon and at night to remind me to pray. Now I just need to get better at stopping and doing it instead of ignoring the alarm. :glare:

No, the apps aren't free. It's just cheaper to pay $10-$15 dollars for the app than $140 for the books.

Hey, I would LOVE an app for church bells. Post the link.

Shoot! I couldn't find a Magnificat app at the Android Market.

I would really, really like to do this BUT reading this makes my head dizzy. It seems complicated and I don't learn very well by reading as it is. On the podcasts do you just listen to them or what? Do you have to have a book to go with this? With the Magnificat online subscription will it have everything in one place? I need this to be simple or I won't do this but my brain is a little frazzled trying to figure it out. HELP- Pretty please!

Gladly, and if somebody else wants to jump in where I have erred, please do so.

There are several prayers: Office of the Reading, Morning, Midday, Evening, and Nightime. These sets of prayers contain portions mostly from the Psalms, some other parts of scripture, and writings of the Church Fathers (oh yeah, hymns as well).

Ant. means antiphon and you say it in communion (all together now!). It is basically a refrain.

The invitatory is said before every prayer set. So in the morning, you click on the invitatory tab. You can say the whole thing or simply repeat the parts that are in red. Then you would click the Morning Prayer tab and go through that. Sometime between 10am and 2pm, you do the Invitatory tab and the Midday tab. Late afternoon to early evening, you do the Invitatory tab and the Evening tab. Right before bed, do the Invitatory tab and the Nighttime tab.

Office of the Readings tab can be done at anytime of the day or even the night before.

Divineorg has audio files so you can click on those and you will hear people reciting the prayers and singing the hymns. All you have to do is follow along. The text at the top of each tab's page contain where to look in the Liturgy of the Hours books in case people want to look in them instead of on the computer screen.

Ok, speed reading got to me, I see this post now and I *think* I understand it better.

I get the magazine Magnificat, which has morning prayer, the Mass readings, and evening prayer for each day. I love it! There's no figuring anything out, just open it to the page for the day and pray!

http://www.magnificat.com/

I was checking this out but one of the reviews on Amazon states that it is not the actual LOTH-?

I was checking this out but one of the reviews on Amazon states that it is not the actual LOTH-?

• Beautiful prayers for both morning and evening, drawn from the treasures of the Liturgy of the Hours,

• The official texts of the daily Mass,

• Meditations written by the renowned Fathers of the Church, and a great variety of spiritual writings,

• Essays on the lives of the saints of today and the past.

• In each Magnificat, you will also find an article giving valuable spiritual insight, into a masterpiece of sacred art.

This is what the website says. I needed something that was a no-brainer, just open and pray, and I got a sample issue in the mail out of the blue. You could probably request a sample to see if it's what you want.

I went ahead and ordered half a year of Magnificat to try out and the new Ignatious Study Bible as well. I like the idea of the LOTH but I need to keep it simple - I would rather start something that I know I can keep up, maybe someday I can work up with that after I build up the habit. So, I am doing the Magnificat online now waiting to receive my first subscription.

I went ahead and ordered half a year of Magnificat to try out and the new Ignatious Study Bible as well. I like the idea of the LOTH but I need to keep it simple - I would rather start something that I know I can keep up, maybe someday I can work up with that after I build up the habit. So, I am doing the Magnificat online now waiting to receive my first subscription.

It took us a YEAR to get to the LOTH. It started with us gathering in my bed first thing in the morning for the daily reading and reflection. Then we started going to daily mass. Then I replaced mass with LOTH. We didn't do all the prayers. On a good day, we managed three. What does LOTH look like in our house? All the kids gathered around my laptop on my bed.