Menu

Zero Tolerance Policy

pqr

Ewww boy.

I can kinda see...what if it was a student that had been dealing drugs, and her dad said it was his lunch? Would anyone believe it?

They're going with 'one size fits all', and it simply doesn't...but I can also see some parents screaming if their darling was punished more severely than a classmate...even if their darling had a criminal record, etc.

Ewww boy.

They're going with 'one size fits all', and it simply doesn't...but I can also see some parents screaming if their darling was punished more severely than a classmate...even if their darling had a criminal record, etc.

So what if parents got upset? The courts, which are also an arm of the government, like the schools, take into account mitigating and aggravating factors. Judges are empowered to dismiss cases when the evidence doesn't make sense. And yet schools aren't allowed to because some parents might get their knickers in a bunch. I know some people think these regulations make us all equal, but what's the point when that equal is clearly so misguided.

If the Father was willing to take the criminal conviction for it I might believe him.

What, because he shouldn't take a paring knife to work? Why should *anyone* have a criminal record over this?

What, because he shouldn't take a paring knife to work? Why should *anyone* have a criminal record over this?

You misunderstand I was refering to the post that gave a scenario where drugs were found and the child stated that they were not hers. If drugs had been found and the father said they were his I might believe him.

In this case I also believe the Father, the school is displaying textbook stupidity.

Same think happened to a middle schooler in my town a few years back. She actually told her teacher that she accidently brought her mom's lunch. There was a paring knife in the lunchbox, and the child was kicked out of school due to ZERO TOLLERANCE. So the child was punished for doing the exact right thing.

As for the girl in the linked story, she should get the case thrown out of court. A paring knife is not a deadly weapon. What a crock.

As for the girl in the linked story, she should get the case thrown out of court. A paring knife is not a deadly weapon. What a crock.

I agree, but what type of moron actually takes it to that point rather than simply putting the paring knife in a drawer till the end of the day (given that it is such a deadly weapon).....Oh wait the same people who run the public schools.

Reason #4,567 that we homeschool.

If the Father was willing to take the criminal conviction for it I might believe him.

Completely unrealistic. You cannot arrest the person that wasn't even on school grounds, let alone convict them.

I get that it was a screw up. Honest. I also get that unless all students face the same consequences, there's going to be screaming going on when one student receives a stiffer penalty than another, regardless of the actual reason behind it.

Its as dumb as the victim getting punished along with the bully. No argument from me on it.

I've just seen some parents in action, whose kid WAS the bully, and them crying their kid was being targeted by staff, etc. So I do have a certain amt of empathy for the staff involved.

Completely unrealistic. You cannot arrest the person that wasn't even on school grounds, let alone convict them.

You most certainly can arrest someone if drugs are found (anywhere) and they claim ownership. This is your scenario about drugs in a lunchbox.

Actually, I *wasn't* suggesting drugs in the lunch box. I'm saying the exact same scenario w/paring knife but its a kid that isn't on the honour roll, and has been known to deal drugs.

If that child was treated differently than the honour roll kid, I could see a lawsuit happening.

People are so immersed in the 'not my darling' that its sickening.

For the record, I think hammering down on this student is ridiculous.

But I also wonder why she was part of a selected group for a drug check. Sounds like a set up to me. Something more to the story that we're not getting.

Actually, I *wasn't* suggesting drugs in the lunch box. I'm saying the exact same scenario w/paring knife but its a kid that isn't on the honour roll, and has been known to deal drugs.

In that case I see your argument, but think that common sense still has to apply. In this case they have gone nuts.

In that case I see your argument, but think that common sense still has to apply. In this case they have gone nuts.

I agree with you.

I'm just wondering if this policy has been used before, and therefore they felt anything less would be viewed as 'favouritism', if there's background about the girl herself that brought about the harsh punishment (being on the honour roll doesn't mean that you can't be a bully too)...

I just get the feeling something is missing in this story.

A similar incident happened to a friend of mine in high school. She brought a knife with which to cut a cake as part of a school club function for the teachers in the teacher's lounge. THe knife stayed with the cake, she took it straight to the lounge, and when it was discovered she was in class.

But she got three days' suspension, not over half a year. I thought it was stupid overreaction at the time, and still do. Things have only gotten more ridiculous as time has gone one.

I just get the feeling something is missing in this story.

...and that is possible, but we have seen such a spate of this stupidity that it can not be the "missing piece" in every case.

A few months back we discussed a boy being forced to remove the American flag from his bike. There was no missing piece, but apologists for the school (including some on this board) started screaming allegations of racism etc.

There was the case of the boy removed from school for having green army men who, horror of horrors, had guns in their hands (never mind the fact that the soldiers were 2 inches tall). There was the case of the child removed from school for drawing a soldier (her family member with a rifle).

The point is that while our schools seem incapable of providing an education they revel in this type of stupidity. Supposedly one of the things children should learn in school is common sense, but the administration seems to have none.

I understand the argument about "treating children differently" but that must be faced not run away from.

Edited by pqr

Problem is, ppl are sue happy. If their kid is treated differently, there is a line of lawyers happy to take their case.

School board has to be aware of that. By affixing the same punishment to every kid, they can't be accused of doing wrong.

I agree that common sense should rule. Unfortunately, common sense isn't, and too many ppl are playing CYA when it comes to potential lawsuits.

Too many times, the judges are morons, and actually agree with the plaintiff, costing the other side $$$$

I find it VERY odd that the school is posting information about a student/disciplinary issue on their website (even if it has already been reported in the media).

It is unusual. Usually the school is gagged by the need to protect the student's privacy and rights. I wondered myself how that got by their lawyer.

I always wish we could hear from the school/employer/agency in cases like this, instead of just getting one side from the media. It helps round out the story.

Edited by angela in ohio

It is unusual. Usually the school is gagged by the need to protect the student's privacy and rights. I wondered myself how that got by their lawyer.

I always wish we could hear from the school/employer/agency in cases like this, instead of just getting one side from the media. It helps round out the story.

The article has been updated on WRAL. The school board is having an emergency meeting to discuss the issue. Based on documents that apparently the reporter saw the girl was in fact suspended and ordered to finish two classes online and was not allowed on campus. The school is saying they found the knife in her purse not her lunchbox. Perhaps she realized they would have a cow if they found it and hid it?

Based on my experience with 'no tolerance' the story sounds plausible to me. Too many administrators use that excuse to not have to make a decision on their own - IME - obviously not all do this.

The article has been updated on WRAL. The school board is having an emergency meeting to discuss the issue. Based on documents that apparently the reporter saw the girl was in fact suspended and ordered to finish two classes online and was not allowed on campus. The school is saying they found the knife in her purse not her lunchbox. Perhaps she realized they would have a cow if they found it and hid it?

Based on my experience with 'no tolerance' the story sounds plausible to me. Too many administrators use that excuse to not have to make a decision on their own - IME - obviously not all do this.

What happens if it turns out the school lied on their site? I mean, if the suspension info they gave was false, then (imo) the odds are the knife being in her purse was bunk too. So, what then? Isn't that libel?