Menu

Hubby doesn't like our kids playing with Nerf gununs!!

Well I purchased a Nerf maverick gun for my hubby and almost 8yr old son. I purchased the Star war clone Nerf blaster for my 6.5 yr old son. We were all having fun and the kids think they are a big hit but dad just informed me that he is not thrilled with the kids having a toy that look so real. I may have to take them back for Nerf footballs or something else by Nerf!

I'm sorry... I've always been the one to not want "my kids" playing with guns. However, when they began forming them out of sticks, toy tools, etc., I knew it was a hopeless cause. I caved and bought ds a Nerf gun for his birthday. That lead to a couple more, so now I'm usually trying to avoid the crossfire of darts as I go from one room to another! The in-laws bought the boys marshmallow shooters this year, so now I have flying marshmallows to contend with too!

Well I purchased a Nerf maverick gun for my hubby and almost 8yr old son. I purchased the Star war clone Nerf blaster for my 6.5 yr old son. We were all having fun and the kids think they are a big hit but dad just informed me that he is not thrilled with the kids having a toy that look so real. I may have to take them back for Nerf footballs or something else by Nerf!

Plastic, purple, green, red, oversized, this

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2298569&CAWELAID=107529451 looks nothing like a real gun.

If the issue is boys playing with toy guns then that is a seperate issue but (I am assuming that your husband is not a gun guy) there is no similarity between the Maverick or blaster and any real gun.

I agree, Nerf is good about not making guns that look real. My hubby has real guns, and even my 5 year old knows the difference so at 6.5 and 8 they should get it. I hope it gets worked out so the kids are not disappointed, but in the end it is just a toy and something else can be just as cool (though it may be more expensive lol).

Hubby just stated he doesn't like the implication of them. I knew we talked when the boys were babies that we didn't want them playing with toy guns but I thought because they were Nerf guns they would be fun! These are the kids first time with any type of toy gun and they really think they are fun. My hubby also stated that one of his brothers became in love with guns and got in lots of trouble with the law. Maybe this is the issue and not Nerfs!

We have a whole nerf gun arsenal!!! We buy new ones for our kids for christmas and birthdays and we all get into the fray! :D My two rules are that everyone playing has to wear the safety glasses and no intentionally shooting someone in the face. Other than that...game on! I never thought I would have so much fun with a toy. Here's hoping he reconsiders as they are a BLAST.

I'm sorry... I've always been the one to not want "my kids" playing with guns. However, when they began forming them out of sticks, toy tools, etc., I knew it was a hopeless cause. I caved and bought ds a Nerf gun for his birthday. That lead to a couple more, so now I'm usually trying to avoid the crossfire of darts as I go from one room to another! The in-laws bought the boys marshmallow shooters this year, so now I have flying marshmallows to contend with too!

:lol::lol::lol: I remember when my first was born and I was determined to be a "no toy gun" mom too. He once chewed his grilled cheese sandwhich into the shape of gun. :tongue_smilie: It is just one of those things you can't fight.

My parents were very anti-gun growing up. No squirt guns, etc.

Then 3 of us went to service academies - 1 Ranger... 1 pilot... 1 combat engineer. Lots of gun. Marching with guns. Firing guns. (Though I will say I was TERRIBLE on the range!)

They relented when it paid for college. LOL!!!!!!:lol::lol:

What are you looking for in terms of discussion? Do you want a discussion about boys, kids, weapon play? Or how to deal when your spouse has an opinion on child rearing that differs from your own?

Were you "just" venting?

This is really important to know. Please ignore the following if it's not the sort of discussion you are looking for.

My hubby also stated that one of his brothers became in love with guns and got in lots of trouble with the law. Maybe this is the issue and not Nerfs!

People who have lots of trouble with the law may also be more inclined to fall in love with guns but the reverse does not hold true. Plenty of people fall in love with guns and do not have trouble with the law.

Playing with oversized, plastic, colorful Nerf darts does not seem to implicate a very menacing future.

I should have put just venting in my title. Well I have good news, hubby decided to let everyone keep their guns. They are not to aim at the face or try to hurt one another. He also made a target and placed it on the wall and everyone including hubby had a great time target shooting. I'm very to say the least!

They stick well to windows, too! We had a bunch sticking to our skylight yesterday!

Hubby just stated he doesn't like the implication of them. I knew we talked when the boys were babies that we didn't want them playing with toy guns but I thought because they were Nerf guns they would be fun! These are the kids first time with any type of toy gun and they really think they are fun. My hubby also stated that one of his brothers became in love with guns and got in lots of trouble with the law. Maybe this is the issue and not Nerfs!

Um, even if he relented, and you never intended to upset him, I think you owe dh an apology. Anything that starts with "I know we talked..." and ends with "but I thought...." is not good.

IMO because you did discuss the issue of toy guns you should have been more sensitive and respectful of dh and run it by him before buying any toy gun. I know things change or we forget after a while, but I'd still apologize. You did unintentionally go against something you and dh had decided as a parenting team. It sounds like dh has some issues with any toy guns and you kinda stomped all over that...for a toy.

There are a number of things dh and I discussed when dc#1 was born and some we've changed our minds on, many are more of a big deal to one that the other, but we don't cross those without discussing them first. When we disagree we have the rules to deciding "who wins": (1) whomever is more on the side of safety, and (2) whomever it matters more.

I'm glad it worked out for you, but maybe this is an opportunity to sit down with dh and discuss what rules and principles to use going forward. Might refresh both of your memories, provide some amusement over the things that changed, and make sure you are on the same page going forward. Never a bad thing. ;)