Menu

What can I do with extra Kalamata Olives?

Tap

DD4 loved Kalamata Olives (she had devoured handfuls off of olive carts in stores) so I bought a jar of them for our family night party last week. At Thanksgiving she had regular black olives at our family's home and now she says she doesn't like Kalamata Olives, but loves the plain black ones instead.

So, I have a jar of Kalamata Olives....all to myself. I like them, but I will get sick of them if I just go about, eating them out of the jar every day, so I would like to figure out something to do with them.

Ideas?

Tonight I had a bagel broiled with marinara, fresh spinach, fresh mozzarella and sliced olives.....mmmmmmm.

My family doesn't really care for them so ideas need to be single serving not family size (like a loaf of bread).

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

They last forever, so I would just keep them and eat when I felt like it.

One thing I do for lunch is to grill some veggies (I like butternut, pepper, aubergine/eggplant, courgette), and toss them with couscous, adding feta cheese and olives, and drizzling balsamic vinegar over. I prefer it as a cold salad.

Make a Mediterranean Pizza

Pizza crust (or in a pinch, use french bread)

Top with some basil pesto (no red pizza sauce, just the pesto)

Add feta cheese

Add some roasted minced garlic

Add sliced Kalamata olives

Add cooked, diced chicken (or don't, your choice)

Add diced tomatoes

Bake till done. Yummy!

I love to top a bagel or bread with cream cheese and olives.

Super easy.....Bread Recipe

• 1 packet dry yeast (or 2 1/2 tsp)

• 2 c. warm water

• 1 T. sugar

• 2 tsp sea salt regular is okay

• 4 c. flour

• Optional 1-2 tsp. fresh Rosemary plus more for topping OR Sliced Olives as much as you like. You can just top with salt or add something like cheese.

• Olive Oil, Corn meal, Melted butter and salt

Dissolve yeast in the warm water and sugar. (I like to buy yeast in a large package and then store it in a plastic container and keep in the freezer. It lasts forever. OR if you don’t make bread that often, just buy the yeast packets.) Add flour, salt, and 1-2 tsp Rosemary and stir until blended, do not Knead!! Cover and let rise for 1 hour or until double in size. Simply keep it in the mixer bowl and cover with a moist cloth to raise.

Remove dough. It will be sticky. I like to put olive oil or butter on my hands for taking out the dough and shaping it. I think it works better than flour hands. Place it in 2 rounds on a cookie sheet lightly coated in oil and sprinkled with corn meal. OR you can place it on your silicone baking mat with no oil. Cover with a towel or greased plastic wrap. Then let it rise another hour.

Brush each round with melted butter and lightly sprinkle with more (Rosemaryif you like) & sea salt

. Bake @ 425 for 10 minutes, then reduce temp to 375 for 15 minutes more.

Edited by Tammyla