Menu

Really Frusturated with The Core and CC

Dolphin

I got the core and read it. I really liked it, not as much as WTM, but it is the first guide I have read that I found more than one thing I would like to try on my own with the kids.

However, I had a few frustrations right from the start.

1.) It didn't give all the information needed. You HAVE to buy some things from them in order to know what they are talking about. The history chapter in particular.

2.) When I looked into it, it is really not meant for people to read and pick and choose what they want, it is a sale of CC

Now, I still like enough of it that I bought the foundations curriculum guide.

3.) I found these to be more evident when I went to the public library of the CC community that is listed on page 225 of the core to get the maps that they say are there. They aren't there. So I wrote to them, twice. They told me that they only way to get the map outlines that they say are public in their book, is to get a paid subscription to the Foundations program. Is it just me, or is that total misrepresentation. Anyone else who has the book let me know.

The curriculum guide also says they have printable maps available on page 110.

Just the whole marketing of The Core as something to use at home. This is a exact copy of the e-mail I got today. from Shelley Johnson. Is it just me, or is this dishonest?

Nicole, I did refer to the previous ticket and see where Michelle Walters, our foundations program director did reply to you referring to the Classical Conversations resource. The connected community to which you refer is an on-line subscription that anyone can subscribe to that wishes, however it is greatly discounted to those participating in a licensed CC group. The Classical Conversations program is designed to be used in a community. Although it can be and is done individually in some cases, it does not work best that way.

Thank you for listening to my vent, I just get really frustrated when people are not as ethical as I would be with them.

Nicole

Edited by Northwest_Mama

I'm in the middle of it. The moment I realized it was connected to CC, I was frustrated.

I knew there would be many things that I liked, but I don't like to do a bunch of different groups and my plate is full.

The book has mysteriously sprouted legs and walked off :001_huh: and I haven't been in a huge hurry to find it :D.

To find the maps that go exactly with the Foundations Geography without having to look them up yourself, yes, you definitely have to subscribe to the CC Connected or be in a community. However, any blackline map will do. You'll just have to go through the Guide and figure out which maps you need for the cycle you're doing and either find them online, in an atlas (like Compact Atlas) or on a cd (like Uncle Josh's Blackline maps). I know others on this forum have linked to free, printable maps online. The student CC maps aren't anything special. They're just unlabeled blackline maps. The location keys in full color are in the back of the Guide.

I'm sorry you felt the advertising for the Guide misrepresented what was inside. Leigh Bortins seems to be a polarizing figure on this forum.

What were your questions in particular about the history section of The Core?

Just as someone else said, look at the cycle, see what's covered and then use the maps that you would use for other things. Seriously, if you aren't doing CC in a group... there are things you'll tweak anyway. I think that the "how" of how to do the Geography is great. Then, the map for Europe and part of Asia... can be from anywhere... for this cycle. (For example)

Edited by NayfiesMama

i'll be honest with you--i think CC's maps stink. I only use them because my ds9 is planning to make memory master this year with CC and he will need to be able to identify the locations on that miserable map. I can't tell what is what...so I use a wide variety of different maps so he can tell a good map from a poor one as well as identify his memory work on any map, not just the one they use. I wish they would use Uncle Josh's blackline maps or something like that.

I got the core and read it. I really liked it, not as much as WTM, but it is the first guide I have read that I found more than one thing I would like to try on my own with the kids.

However, I had a few frustrations right from the start.

1.) It didn't give all the information needed. You HAVE to buy some things from them in order to know what they are talking about. The history chapter in particular.

I think that Bortins does not do a good job of explaining this concept. You certainly do not HAVE to buy her stuff in order to memorize a timeline, make up some history sentences, etc. i don't think it is a ploy to get you to buy her stuff, but if it is, is that unethical? I mean, she does have a tool that she invented and is actively marketing. I took a year off from CC and didn't really think I would be going back, but based on what I learned while in CC, I had planned to do exactly what she described...make up my own history sentences a la CC style and have my kids memorize them. On the other hand, i found that it was much easier and more effective to use CC's materials and work within that community, so we went back. The accountability it offered was something that I needed to make the Core principles work.

2.) When I looked into it, it is really not meant for people to read and pick and choose what they want, it is a sale of CC

3.) I found these to be more evident when I went to the public library of the CC community that is listed on page 225 of the core to get the maps that they say are there. They aren't there. So I wrote to them, twice. They told me that they only way to get the map outlines that they say are public in their book, is to get a paid subscription to the Foundations program. Is it just me, or is that total misrepresentation. Anyone else who has the book let me know.

I think it is pretty clear from the info that they have maps to memorize on the CC community. It is also clear that there is a public library section on the CC community. It does not state that there are printable maps available to anyone who comes to the site. It does not seem deceptive to me.

For that you have to subscribe to the CC community. This is not indicated in the Curriculum guide, but usually, people who are working with CC already know this, so again, i don't think it is an attempt to be deceptive. Leigh Bortins, in essence explains the principles of how to educate classically in the way that CC does. I don't think she is trying to put you in a box which requires you to buy her stuff in order to be able to work it out. I do think she fairly represents CC, and the bottom line is that if you want to use her stuff, you have to pay for it. I don't think that is necessarily unethical.

Just the whole marketing of The Core as something to use at home. This is a exact copy of the e-mail I got today. from Shelley Johnson. Is it just me, or is this dishonest?

Nicole, I did refer to the previous ticket and see where Michelle Walters, our foundations program director did reply to you referring to the Classical Conversations resource. The connected community to which you refer is an on-line subscription that anyone can subscribe to that wishes, however it is greatly discounted to those participating in a licensed CC group. The Classical Conversations program is designed to be used in a community. Although it can be and is done individually in some cases, it does not work best that way. Thank you for listening to my vent, I just get really frustrated when people are not as ethical as I would be with them.

Nicole

my responses are in green within your quotes.

i'll be honest with you--i think CC's maps stink. I only use them because my ds9 is planning to make memory master this year with CC and he will need to be able to identify the locations on that miserable map. I can't tell what is what...so I use a wide variety of different maps so he can tell a good map from a poor one as well as identify his memory work on any map, not just the one they use. I wish they would use Uncle Josh's blackline maps or something like that.

I was thinking the same thing. Half of the people I know in CC don't want to use their maps, so I can't imagine paying for them if you don't have to use them. I had many complaints from parents about the maps when I was a Director. :glare:

OP, the best thing you can do for your dc is to teach them to trace their own maps out of the atlas. They will quickly learn to draw the shapes of the continents and countries. We have Uncle Josh's, and we use it for making maps of products, population, etc., but for memorizing and learning to draw the world, we use an atlas, blank paper, and a pencil. My two oldest can draw the world free hand and label all of the countries and the states of the U.S. and provinces of Canada, plus over half of the capitals. They did it by tracing out maps from the atlas. My little guy has just about mastered Africa and South America the same way. :)

Edited by angela in ohio

I will look up Uncle Josh's Maps. I do really like the concept of the Geography, I was just really disappointed that in both of the 2 books, it really sounded like the maps were available to print on those pages. Also, I was surprised how all or nothing they were. That either you join a community, or good luck. If their customer service was better, I might have ordered a few things with them and used certain parts. Yes, I wouldn't spend as much as if I was in a community, but I would have bought a few more things.

Oh well, live and learn. There are more resources out there. I will take the geography and be happy I read that.

Thank you for reading my vent. I was just so irritated that I had to get it off my chest. I guess I am just really more of a SWB fan.

We have Uncle Josh's, and we use it for making maps of products, population, etc., but for memorizing and learning to draw the world, we use an atlas, blank paper, and a pencil. My two oldest can draw the world free hand and label all of the countries and the states of the U.S. and provinces of Canada, plus over half of the capitals. They did it by tracing out maps from the atlas. My little guy has just about mastered Africa and South America the same way. :)

So they put the paper over the atlas and trace it? Is it special tracing paper that they can see through? Thanks!

I think whether you need tracing paper or not depends. We've use both plain computer paper and tracing paper, depending on the map and how detailed we want it to be. You just have to try it out. For my young kids, we tape the paper over the map (on an edge or two) so it doesn't wiggle.

So they put the paper over the atlas and trace it? Is it special tracing paper that they can see through? Thanks!

The best thing to use is really cheap copier paper. Second best is tracing paper. The tracing paper can be hard, because you can ruin it quickly while erasing. Some of my students made beautiful maps on tracing paper, though.

As the founder of Classical Conversations, I completely expected Ms. Bortins to refer to her programs in her book.

I'm not sure why the title of the timeline materials are not mentioned in the history section or in the resource section of the book. FYI-- CC uses Veritas Press history cards for their timeline. CC participants purchase all 160 history cards and memorize them (and the presidents, too!). You could easily do the same thing without joining a CC group. Perhaps LB did not mention the specific resource CC uses for timeline in order to communicate that ANY timeline will do! You could use a timeline from an encyclopedia or any other resource.

I think she clearly explains how to do history. LB lists 4 things that Classical Conversations students do to study history. Then, she elaborates on each "thing", providing examples and sharing "how-to" techniques.

I respectfully disagree. I did't see it as a sell of CC, but as a sell of educating clasically at home. More than anything, I think Ms. Bortins wants homeschooling parents to believe that they CAN provide an excellent education for their kids--one that does not have to be difficult or expensive.

The resouce list doesn't state that the CC Connected Community is free, but I can see how someone may assume that it is. Note that Ms. Bortins does list two other map resources -- both of which are very inexpensive (National Geographic website and a DK Atlas). FYI-- Middle School students who participate in the Challenge Program (through CC) are encouraged to use ANY map resource of their choosing--an atlas lying around the house, online printable maps, etc.

Tracing, copying, and drawing maps is emphasized. Place tracing paper over a map you're studying and learn to draw and label the countries and capitals. Do this by tracing it, drawing it on your own as you look at it, and then finally by trying to draw it by memory.

If you are able, I'd like to encourage you to go visit a nearby CC group. That would give you a better idea of "how" they do various components of the program. CC is doable at home, but most people who participate in CC attend because they appreciate the accountability and community atmosphere that the groups provide.

Leigh Bortins does recommend some of the resources that are part of her program. I think thats fine! SWB recommends the resources that she wrote and no one seems to mind. Both authors take time to recommend lots of other resources from other authors/publishers/providers because they realize that one size does not fit all.

I hope you're able to glean plenty of great info from "The Core" that you can use at home. Sorry it has frustrated you! I do understand what you're saying, but I don't at all believe that Leigh Bortins is trying to deceive or mislead a single person. She is a homeschool mom like the rest of us and just sharing methods and resources (including CC "stuff") that have helped so many.

Nicole

--

Angela,

I am fine with LB promoting her own things within her own book, in fact I expect it. Have you looked at the public library on the classical community site? There are free resources on in that you do not have to subscribe to. Here is a link for anyone that wants to see it

http://www.classicalconversations.com/registered/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=70&Itemid=198'>http://www.classicalconversations.com/registered/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=70&Itemid=198

What I have a problem with is this

Direct quote from page 225 in the geography resources section

"Classical Conversations Connected Community also has a lot of maps to memorize, along with history facts and stories, multiplication tables, and much more. The public library can be accessed at http://www.classicalconversations.com/registered/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=70&Itemid=198

IMO I found that misleading.

I was surprised that when I wrote to their customer service that it was a hard sell for a community.

That said, after exchanging a few e-mails with them, I was frustrated and I needed to vent.

Thank you for the words of support, and I am sorry if my frustration offended some people.

I am going to take the good pieces I can and piece meal them into my own system. Take the good and leave the rest.

Thanks for all the suggestions on how to implement the geography program. We are really excited to start that in January.

Cheers,

Nicole

Oh good, I am so glad. I am one of those people that tries to rise above, let it slide etc... Problem with being that way is sometimes it just boils over. I am so glad to have this community that is so understanding, and great at problem solving.

Yes, my new guide has the maps, and you are right they are horrible. What I am wanting is even more simple, I have no artistic or computer skills. I was hoping for a printable with just the 5 great circles, like what is on page 125 of the core. Most map outlines I see have the world or something else with it. I want just the lines so I can blow it up and photocopy and start doing the continent blobs. I am going to try and convince my husband to make it for me over Christmas. Then I am going to work on the map drawing with my kids. I think they are both going to do better than me.

Yes, my new guide has the maps, and you are right they are horrible. What I am wanting is even more simple, I have no artistic or computer skills. I was hoping for a printable with just the 5 great circles, like what is on page 125 of the core. Most map outlines I see have the world or something else with it. I want just the lines so I can blow it up and photocopy and start doing the continent blobs. I am going to try and convince my husband to make it for me over Christmas. Then I am going to work on the map drawing with my kids. I think they are both going to do better than me.

A couple of the Draw Write Now books show how to draw the world. Book 7 is the most helpful (pages 48 - 49 and pg. 61) though some of the other books work on individual continents as well. Book 7 starts with "continent blobs" (pages 48-49) and you can work up to more detail.

A couple of the Draw Write Now books show how to draw the world. Book 7 is the most helpful (pages 48 - 49 and pg. 61) though some of the other books work on individual continents as well. Book 7 starts with "continent blobs" (pages 48-49) and you can work up to more detail.

If you hit Amazon & login, you can see pg 48 in the page preview.

http://www.amazon.com/reader/096393077X?_encoding=UTF8&query=flat%20map

Search for "continent" and click on page 48. Very similar to what LB talks about with her continent blobs.

Thank you for pointing that out. I found this particular book at the thrift store (it had been colored in, but was very usable). I didn't realize this was even covered in the book.

I think the problem here is that The Core is a book advocating certain methods and types of education. You can see it as a large marketing piece for CC or just a book about education, homeschooling and afterschooling.

The curriculum guide however is intended for use as part of the CC program. A guide to the weekly group meetings and with the assumption you have access to all those materials. I'm not sure it was intended for home use without a group.

I've never been to CC, no groups near us, but I do like some of their materials. The above is the sense I have of the resources based on reading The Core and looking at their catalog/website.

ETA: For map tracing you could always try fine point sharpies and transparency film (the type you could run through a printer). If you have very dark maps cheap copy paper is great. Tracing paper is rather delicate.

So, an update. I never heard back from CC. I guess there customer service just really does not care about the customer service side of things.

Now for the good news. Draw write now book 7 has arrived (I love amazon prime) It is EXACTLY what I needed to start maps. I am so excited, my son is so excited, and his best friend who is going to do this with us is so excited. We are going to start Wednesday. So my new geography plan is to start with the Draw write now, and then progress on to Uncle Josh's maps when we start needing more detail.

Thank you all so much for the support and the ideas. I needed this boost to get excited again. This is my first year homeschooling, and I have come across so many stumbling blocks, holes in his previous education etc.... I am really glad that I did not quit in November. I am ready to keep going and am happy about my choice again!

Cheers,

Nicole

So, an update. I never heard back from CC. I guess there customer service just really does not care about the customer service side of things.

Nicole

Not true. It's Christmas. I'm sure they are with their families.

I'm sorry you are frustrated with CC. I have only experienced exceptional service from them -- and a thoroughly delightful experience at CC every week.

Not true. It's Christmas. I'm sure they are with their families.

I'm sorry you are frustrated with CC. I have only experienced exceptional service from them -- and a thoroughly delightful experience at CC every week.

:iagree:

I've always experienced great customer service from CC as well.

We've been using their materials for over 5 years, without any problems.

this whole map discussion is interesting. I just saw someone's map last week and I thought....ahhh, I want our maps to be more like that(with all the markings)! but I could do it. I just have to do it. But reading how many dislike their maps will make me rethink doing CC next year.

:bigear:

You are choosing -- or not choosing -- to join CC because of the maps? :confused:

My family has made great use of the CC maps. I fail to see the fuss over these maps. We laminated the colored maps off the CC Connected. They. Are. Just. Fine.

Seriously, why are so many folks so negative about CC, Leigh Bortins & The Core? Most of the complaints I read here about CC are from folks who have never stepped foot in a CC group. Many only pass on negative mis-information.

Some have truly legitimate concerns and first-hand experience with CC and have chosen to part ways with CC for valid reasons. I respect all those opinions.

But a lot of folks trash-talk CC. No publisher/organization is perfect. C'mon, people. Show some grace.

You are choosing -- or not choosing -- to join CC because of the maps? :confused:

My family has made great use of the CC maps. I fail to see the fuss over these maps. We laminated the colored maps off the CC Connected. They. Are. Just. Fine.

Seriously, why are so many folks so negative about CC, Leigh Bortins & The Core? Most of the complaints I read here about CC are from folks who have never stepped foot in a CC group. Many only pass on negative mis-information.

Some have truly legitimate concerns and first-hand experience with CC and have chosen to part ways with CC for valid reasons. I respect all those opinions.

But a lot of folks trash-talk CC. No publisher/organization is perfect. C'mon, people. Show some grace.

I'm afraid that many popular curriculum providers get the bash around here. If a popular curriculum doesn't meet someone's individual needs the board tends to lend towards bashing rather than saying it didn't work for me because of x, y, or z. This bashing is particularly unhelpful. But, perhaps it is part of the greater trend toward selfcenteredness. All things provided must suit my personal needs. There seems to be much venom reserved for companies that don't bend-particularly companies in the homeschool industry.

And I agree-I wouldn't expect much customer service from homeschool specific companies between Christmas and New Year. They are undoubtedly on vacation and with their families.

I'm afraid that many popular curriculum providers get the bash around here. If a popular curriculum doesn't meet someone's individual needs the board tends to lend towards bashing rather than saying it didn't work for me because of x, y, or z. This bashing is particularly unhelpful. But, perhaps it is part of the greater trend toward selfcenteredness. All things provided must suit my personal needs. There seems to be much venom reserved for companies that don't bend-particularly companies in the homeschool industry.

And I agree-I wouldn't expect much customer service from homeschool specific companies between Christmas and New Year. They are undoubtedly on vacation and with their families.

I think it's great that there's a place for people to share more information about a curriculum, even if it's just whether it worked for them (not sure what else you would share? :confused:) Especially for expensive programs, it is helpful to hear possible downsides before handing over hard-earned money, expecially in so many one-income homeschool families. If you want to hear all the positive apsects, you can always contact the company or read their websites, too.

I see no venom, trash-talking, or mis-information in this thread. :confused:

I do think CC is unique in that many who share positively about the program and materials are making a profit from it. If anything, I think that gives CC an advantage on homeschool boards.

I think the point is that the maps are not so wonderful that it is worth joining the connected community or CC just for them. If that is the only draw, there are more financially reasonable ways to get maps.

The customer service getting back to me was from the 20th. They were in that day as I did receive one e-mail, just none after my last response. I am glad some of you have had good experiences with them, I have had some not so great interactions. Have you read through the whole thread or are you just responding to my most recent post? This has been going on for awhile, not just this time. Of course people are taking time off for Christmas.

I first wrote to them on November 4th, they wrote back to me on the 5th. Then I replied on the 7th, and the responded on the 8th (great so far). I then wrote to them again on the 10th of November, twice on the 12th of November (as I had not heard back) they wrote back on the 5th of December. I took a deep breath and wrote back on the 19th and they responded on the 20th, I wrote back right away and I have not heard anything.

I do not know what a group would be like. I am sure that they are great for people. It is an interesting concept, and I did look to see if there was a group near me when I was first interested. There are none near me. I have no idea what the groups are like. What I was frustrated by was how difficult it is to implement part of their program on your own at home if you do not have a group near you. If I thought their program was horrible, this would not bother me in the least. The whole reason for my frustration is that I think they have a lot of good ideas that I would like to incorporate into my own homeschooling experience. I had hoped that with the aid of the Core and the foundations curriculum guide I would be able to see away forward with that. They just kept telling me that as there was no group in my area I should start one. I am a first year home school mom and I told them repeatedly that was not an option this year.

That aside. I probably should not have written so much. I was posting an update so that they people who had offered me help would know how much I appreciated it. That I listened to their advice and that I was feeling good about the path we were taking with our geography program.

In summary:

I am the original poster.

I was frustrated with the Core and CC, and I had a vent.

I think as with most things out there it has good and bad sides to it, I just had to vent as I had come across some of their not so good areas.

I thank everyone to had helpful advice,

I apologize to anyone I offended.

I am very happy with how we have decided to move forward and grateful for the support I received here.

I do think CC is unique in that many who share positively about the program and materials are making a profit from it. If anything, I think that gives CC an advantage on homeschool boards.

I don't profit from it. Who, on these boards, is financially benefitting from CC?

We all know CC is a controversial topic here. I don't understand why. Some of my dearest friends have devoted countless hours to our new CC group. My girls adore CC and have learned a ton.

I don't profit from it. Who, on these boards, is financially benefitting from CC?

We all know CC is a controversial topic here. I don't understand why. Some of my dearest friends have devoted countless hours to our new CC group. My girls adore CC and have learned a ton.

There are several CC Directors (and tutors) on the boards.

I don't think CC is controversial here. I think, like anything else, it works for some people and not for others. Sharing what works or doesn't work about CC for each person isn't 'controversy.' :001_smile:

There are several CC Directors (and tutors) on the boards.

I don't think CC is controversial here. I think, like anything else, it works for some people and not for others. Sharing what works or doesn't work about CC for each person isn't 'controversy.' :001_smile:

How do the CC directors or tutors on this forum financially benefit?

Angela, please show me another publisher/program where the founder/owner is accused of what Leigh is accused of. I just did a quick search and found a plethora of threads here which I consider an excellent example of CC controversy -- many in which you will recall, as you offered your perspective as a former Director.

Leigh has been accused of being an evil capitalist who is out to exploit innocent consumers in the homeschool market, anti-Catholic, anti-liberal/progressive, and -- gasp! -- not a pure classical educator with her emphasis on 'needless rote' memory work. CC communities are criticized for not being this or that -- or being too this or that.

Not to mention her horrible customer service as outlined above.

Edited by Beth in SW WA
Typo

How do the CC directors or tutors on this forum financially benefit?

Angela, please show me another publisher/program where the founder/owner is accused of what Leigh is accused of. I just did a quick search and found a plethora of threads here which I consider an excellent example of CC controversy -- many in which you will recall, as you offered your perspective as a former Director.

Leigh has been accused of being an evil capitalist who is out to exploit innocent consumers in the homeschool market, anti-Catholic, anti-liberal/progressive, and -- gasp! -- not a pure classical educator with her emphasis on 'needless rote' memory work. CC communities are criticized for not being this or that -- or being too this or that.

Not to mention her horrible customer service as outlined above.

I guess it's all in your perspective. I've not seen her called those things here. I have seen threads that discussed whether CC's statement of faith was compatible with Catholic beliefs, whether CC costs too much and where the money goes (which is an unusual question about a business, imho, but not as much considering many people mistakenly think that CC is either a non-profit or a co-operative,) whether the material CC uses is compatible with certain people's political beliefs or expresses certain political beliefs, etc. These are all valid questions before a person enrolls their child in CC or purchases materials from them. The same questions are asked about other programs. That's not controversy; that's discussion about the merits and drawbacks of the program and materials.

Any program or author who markets to the homeschool community is discussed here. If you want to talk about people being controversial, we'll talk about Jay Wile or Doug Wilson. :D

CC Tutors and Directors profit when people enroll in CC. That is the structure of the program; the more people who sign up, the more you make (more so for Directors than Tutors.) A Director may never directly profit from the person they interact with on this board, but the overall reputation of CC will impact their bottom line. I'm not making a statement one way or the other about that, but I can't think of any other curriculum have that many financially interested parties on message boards. It's definitely an advantage. If anything, that should mean that CC gets a slightly better rep here.

Anyway, none of these are reasons I parted with CC. I'm just a fan of free discussion.

Edited by angela in ohio

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Isabelledelouisiane

Thank you so much for sharing your experience--I felt slightly betrayed, as well, after spending the money on the Foundations guide and the memory work cd, and then not having the maps included in toto in either resource. It was very discouraging to spend all of that money(nearly $90) and lack some of the basic maps necessary to start the year. It doesn't seem like someone selling such a resource, and especially one so dedicated to home education done excellently, should have knowingly put a "resource" or "guide" out there which is lacking some essential basics.

I will get the atlas out and attack what we need this way! Doing the community is not an option for us, as the nearest one is over 100 miles away. I don't consider myself inept, as I was a teacher in a classical Christian school before having children of my own. I do see the value of the community--if you have the money and are fortunate to live near enough to participate in that community. Maybe one day....

Thank you all for answering this question--it was great to find so many answers to my own frustration with the guide! :) My husband will be happy he doesn't have to draft something for me, as well, and happy that we haven't invested our money foolishly. It's a great memory work guide.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience--I felt slightly betrayed, as well, after spending the money on the Foundations guide and the memory work cd, and then not having the maps included in toto in either resource. It was very discouraging to spend all of that money(nearly $90) and lack some of the basic maps necessary to start the year. It doesn't seem like someone selling such a resource, and especially one so dedicated to home education done excellently, should have knowingly put a "resource" or "guide" out there which is lacking some essential basics.

My husband is a professional geographer and has been teaching Geography to our children from The Core. Here is our blog where I have been following the lessons. We just did another lesson that I don't yet have up but will get it there soon.