Menu

If you don't expose your children to "false gods" early

In another thread, someone commented that she didn't like to do ancient history with elementary-age children, because she felt they should have a stronger foundation in the Christian faith before being exposed to "false gods."

I come from a different religious background, so I don't understand why learning about the gods of antiquity would be problematic for young Christians. How is this different from learning that your next-door neighbor is an adherent of the Hindu faith?

If you feel this way, I'd be very interested to learn more about your viewpoint!

Well, I have exposed my older two to false gods early, but I'm leaning away from it now for my youngest. I think it's better to teach them the answers before you give them a plethora of questions.

In other words, I would not try to give my children a subtraction problem like this: 5-25, before I had shown them the number line including negative numbers. It would frustrate them, for one, and make them doubt themselves, for a strong two. I don't give them questions they cannot answer for those reasons and I question having exposed them to things that ran contrary to God before I had taught them about God.

I said somewhere else that I see 'spare the rod spoil the child' in a new light now. The rod, as used by shepherds, was not used to beat the sheep, it was used to scare off predators. In that context, for me anyway :p, it seems that verse implies that it's imperative to keep predators at bay, else, I risk spoiling my children. We don't have tv anymore, I'm much more careful with movies, we're scaling back on video games &tc, because I don't think those things jive with the gospel or a Godly parenting scheme. False gods are going out the door with them (many may argue that the television/movies/games/characters were false gods to begin with).

Well, I mulled the question over in my mind a long time...we are Christians, but my 7yo is currently reading ancient myths from all the cultures we could find at the library.;)

The reasoning that I've come across is that it might plant doubt in a child's mind (What *is* the difference between Zues and The One True God?) OR they might become enamored with the false gods and willingly rebel.

I think knowing about what people believed years ago can enhance their understanding. A good example is the beliefs of the Ancient Egyptians and the Exodus/Plagues.

hmmm...to avoid this topic would mean one would have to avoid almost the whole of the Old Testament in the Bible.

I agree--and some in the NT.

I chose not to do myths or fairy tales with my children until late elementary school. My reasons had nothing to do with religion, per se, but with the general "darkness" of them. Years later, I am really comfortable with my earlier decision. I grew up with fears of the dark, nightmares, etc. about witches from the fairy tales I was fed from a young age, and when I first sat down to read fairy tales to oldest ds when he was little, I thought, "Why on earth am I reading this to him?" I decided to bag "tradition" at that point. Likewise, we were going to do the myths and as I read them, there was so much that was generally dark. I didn't let my kids watch soap operas either and a lot of myths are like soap operas for super heroes. By late elementary school, they could read them on their own and it was fine. Like I said, I remain very happy with that decision.

My 6 yr old has easily managed it as "People believed all sorts of things, but once Jesus came, he helped us see the true way". She has a harder time with the idea that people still believe in different Gods, because, after all, there's ONE GOD, and even though the Ancient Greeks and Romans may not have known that, we do!

In many ways, I think she has an easier time and questions less now than she would if she were hitting this first in the logic stage.

My 6 yr old has easily managed it as "People believed all sorts of things, but once Jesus came, he helped us see the true way". She has a harder time with the idea that people still believe in different Gods, because, after all, there's ONE GOD, and even though the Ancient Greeks and Romans may not have known that, we do!

In many ways, I think she has an easier time and questions less now than she would if she were hitting this first in the logic stage.

one thing my kids have marvelled over is that the "false gods" are mostly like powerful humans in their behavior and attitude; they totally get it that our true God is always fair. always righteous, always just, always merciful....

hmmm...to avoid this topic would mean one would have to avoid almost the whole of the Old Testament in the Bible.

one thing my kids have marvelled over is that the "false gods" are mostly like powerful humans in their behavior and attitude; they totally get it that our true God is always fair. always righteous, always just, always merciful....

Yep. Very well put. :iagree:

My children seem to have a firm grasp of the difference between their Christian faith and the anceint gods of old (range in age from almost 2 to 11.5). The older three really enjoy the stories of the myths. We talked a lot about why these gods were "made up" -- as a way to explain the things they saw. They *knew* there had to be something "bigger than themselves" (insert various Bible verses... heavens declare, etc), and this is how they tried to explain the things they saw (dinosaur skeletons became parts of the myths as well...). They just didn't know the "name" of the God... which is why they also had an alter to "The Unknown God" they were afraid they'd missed someone (insert Paul and his ministry to the Greeks).

This seems to have worked... and I also know I was never confused by the two, either. Now, I'm not certain how "young" is "young" -- but my childre are usually in the 2nd grade (7-ish) before mythology is started (Egyptians), and the littles (younger) have been getting regular doses of Bible since babyhood...My 4yo isn't running around trying to pray to Zeus ;)

Good point.

I have not withheld learning about false gods from my children, but I am comfortable with doing apologetics (defense of the Faith) and maybe others may not be? Maybe they want to wait till they can give a satisfactory and biblical answer to their child(ren)?

This seems to have worked... and I also know I was never confused by the two, either. Now, I'm not certain how "young" is "young" -- but my childre are usually in the 2nd grade (7-ish) before mythology is started (Egyptians), and the littles (younger) have been getting regular doses of Bible since babyhood...My 4yo isn't running around trying to pray to Zeus ;)

When I think about waiting to expose my kids to the false gods (other than in a biblical context) -- I am talking about 3rd grade. so just about the time you are saying.

Not waiting for high school or anything.

That's exactly what I was thinking. How does the 1st commandment even make sense without knowledge of false gods. Immerse your children in the Old Testament. False gods are shown to be what they truly are...Dagon falling before the Ark, Elijah and the prophets of Baal just to name a couple. One of the Psalms states that the idols of the nations are silver and gold, made by the hands of men. They have eyes but cannot see, ears but they cannot hear, and (something else...tongues but they cannot speak? I've forgotten) nor is their breath in their mouth. Those who make them will be like them and so will all who trust in them.

For my kids it was a no-brainer when faced with a choice between the One True God and false gods which one was Creator, Sustainer, and Savior. Which one is alive and to be worshipped. In fact, the falseness of wooden idols or the sinfulness of Greek gods helps to magnify the righteousness and truth of God. To show what he is NOT is helpful for myself and my children as well.

The hard part is in finding those 21st century idols that we have set up in our own high places and tearing those down. If only it was as easy as cutting down an Asherah pole.:001_smile: But we can find great encouragement in those, like Josiah and Hezekiah? (hope I"m getting them right) who tore down the high places and can heed the warnings from examples of those like Solomon who let idolatry hang out side by side with the worship of Jehovah.

I think it could be falsely reassuring to think that because your dc are free from knowledge of false gods that they will have less temptation to succumb to idolatry. But we can look at Adam & Eve and see that those elements are not necessary. Conversely, it can also be falsely reassuring to think that since we don't worship Baal that we have no idols to worry about.

Imo, it is not the knowledge or lack of knowledge of Greek myths and false gods, etc. that is the problem. The problem already is. I think knowledge of false gods do a good job illustrating our fundamental problem and by God's grace we will turn toward the Solution.

That's exactly what I was thinking. How does the 1st commandment even make sense without knowledge of false gods. Immerse your children in the Old Testament. False gods are shown to be what they truly are...Dagon falling before the Ark, Elijah and the prophets of Baal just to name a couple. One of the Psalms states that the idols of the nations are silver and gold, made by the hands of men. They have eyes but cannot see, ears but they cannot hear, and (something else...tongues but they cannot speak? I've forgotten) nor is their breath in their mouth. Those who make them will be like them and so will all who trust in them.

For my kids it was a no-brainer when faced with a choice between the One True God and false gods which one was Creator, Sustainer, and Savior. Which one is alive and to be worshipped. In fact, the falseness of wooden idols or the sinfulness of Greek gods helps to magnify the righteousness and truth of God. To show what he is NOT is helpful for myself and my children as well.

The hard part is in finding those 21st century idols that we have set up in our own high places and tearing those down. If only it was as easy as cutting down an Asherah pole.:001_smile: But we can find great encouragement in those, like Josiah and Hezekiah? (hope I"m getting them right) who tore down the high places and can heed the warnings from examples of those like Solomon who let idolatry hang out side by side with the worship of Jehovah.

I think it could be falsely reassuring to think that because your dc are free from knowledge of false gods that they will have less temptation to succumb to idolatry. But we can look at Adam & Eve and see that those elements are not necessary. Conversely, it can also be falsely reassuring to think that since we don't worship Baal that we have no idols to worry about.

Imo, it is not the knowledge or lack of knowledge of Greek myths and false gods, etc. that is the problem. The problem already is. I think knowledge of false gods do a good job illustrating our fundamental problem and by God's grace we will turn toward the Solution.

excellent post...

I've been coming face to face with the knowledge of how I (who attempts to read the Bible everyday, pray, do what is right, etc) am SO susceptible to idolatry. It is in human nature to set things up in our own hearts to replace God.

One of the modern roots of this belife came from some teaching I heard years ago. It had to do with people who are trained to spot counterfiet money. THey don't spend their time studying the false bills, but study the real money. That way when something that is "false" is set before them they are so well versed in the "real" that they will immediately recognize it as "false."

That was then presented as the way in which to teach our kids. Constantly expose and have them study the "true" God....and whenever they come across the false they will immediately see that it isn't real.

Personally, I feel this logic false apart really quickly. Especially, since I know some people in counterfietting and they were quick to debunk that myth!!!

None was this was never an issue with my ds. When we learned about the different gods, I just said that was what the people believed in at the time, but we believe differently.

We also use BJU DVDs, and we don't agree with some of their "Christian beliefs," either, so ds is used to hearing that different people believe different things.

It's no big deal at our house.

Cat

But don't you want her to be questioning? I truly don't mean this to be snarky (I know tone is difficult to "hear" on message boards), but I was wondering why we think that questioning of our faith is to be avoided - especially by young children. If we are confident in our beliefs, and confident in our abilities to teach those beliefs to our children - why would it matter what questions they ask or doubts they expressed?

I understand not wanting to steep them in things that are not righteous, but I don't think that reading about other beliefs and then educating our children as to why we don't believe them is detrimental to their faith. Instead, I think it teaches them from the very beginning to think critically about what they are hearing and to think through things.

Again, I'm not criticizing, just interested.

:iagree:

I teach all of it and my kids have no problem differentiating.

Well, I have exposed my older two to false gods early, but I'm leaning away from it now for my youngest. I think it's better to teach them the answers before you give them a plethora of questions.

[...]

I said somewhere else that I see 'spare the rod spoil the child' in a new light now. The rod, as used by shepherds, was not used to beat the sheep, it was used to scare off predators. In that context, for me anyway :p, it seems that verse implies that it's imperative to keep predators at bay, else, I risk spoiling my children..

One of the modern roots of this belife came from some teaching I heard years ago. It had to do with people who are trained to spot counterfiet money. THey don't spend their time studying the false bills, but study the real money. That way when something that is "false" is set before them they are so well versed in the "real" that they will immediately recognize it as "false."

That was then presented as the way in which to teach our kids. Constantly expose and have them study the "true" God....and whenever they come across the false they will immediately see that it isn't real.

Thanks to you both, these perspectives are very interesting.

(And to everyone else -- what you've had to say was also interesting!)

Well from a different POV, I'm not Christian and I don't go out of my way to teach my kids about Christianity but they do learn a lot simply from living here in America. We can't go down some roads without passing at least 5 or 6 churches and most friends and neighbors are of the Christian background.

He attends a Christian co-op once a week and they've put on christmas programs, he's made artwork depicting baby Jesus, sing christmas carols etc. This doesn't cause him to question his own faith. I did the same sort of thing growing up, heck I even went to VBS every summer for a few years.

Learning about different faiths didn't shake my own, it just made me very tolerant toward others. My parents worldview of tolerance and acceptance towards others of a different faiths strengthened my faith.

My boys and I have discussed plenty of times that there are many religions in this world and have talked about all of them. We have Christian/Catholic friends, Muslim friends, Sikh friends, Pagan friends and atheist friends and have always discussed their festivities and traditions together.

It's never been an issue for us really. The only time there has ever been is when ds6 said he wanted to be Christian because he wanted a bunch of gifts on Christmas.

For us the timing decision was more based on each individual child's develpment and emotional makeup.

When dd was 7, we were deep into Greek mythology. DD was very sensitive to anything slightly scary. DD developmentally could easily distinguish between real world and fantasy and had been since age 3.

Decision: She and I read D'aulaire's (sp?) Greek myths on the sofa together in small batches. She asked many questions but was comfortable discussing the different viewpoints. I did put the Gilgamesh picture books away because the visual would be too much at that time.

ds is now 7 and wants to see and know everything. He still gets scared at times if alone. Developmentally he's been able to distinguish real from fantasy since about age 5.

Decision: I'll probably read the Gilgamesh picture books aloud with him.

Most of the Bible stories we've been able to read. However if we were looking at the emotionally hard stories in a picture book or movie, I would have to weigh them the same way. A good example would be "The Ten Commandments" with Charleton Heston. There is a scene with the ark and the tablets that would still be too much emotionally for my crew.

I think it depends on the child. My older son has read all of the Percy Jackson books and loved Egyptian and Greek history. He doesn't have an issue with understanding what we believe vs. what they believed. He also knows that others still believe things that we do not.

My younger son is not ready for that just yet. He is not strong in his faith and understanding of it all just yet and I feel like he needs more time to understand what HE believes before I attempt to introduce him to what others believe/believed. He does, however, know that Native Americans worshipped *many* gods and they did not (historically) worship the same God as the early settlers. We have only began to study early American History. Thus far, he is understanding this well and will likely be more than ready to learn about Egyptian and Greek history when we get to the gods/goddesses.

Great thread.

We are very serious Christians, and I have started HSing this year, DS is 6 and in 1st grade. I began with WTM's plan of mythology this year. Some of the myths did give me pause, but overall I think it is a good plan.

I think the reason that many Christians do not think it is a good idea is that they do not want to hear their kids making statements like "I think Jesus is a fake god too." Which my son said.

I was a little taken aback by this, and no doubt some Christians on this board would say I was nuts to pursue the WTM plan. I think some Christians might be really thrown for a loop by this. I mean, you expect doubt/rebellion/questioning in the teen years, not age 6! I just said, Hmm that is interesting, why do you think so?

But I do believe that it turned out OK (as far as our family's Christian faith goes) because DS was testing out this idea, and as we read and studied more: Bible, Church, Mythology, and everything, he came to the conclusion in his little mind & heart that there IS a difference between Jesus and the false gods. I found him explaining this to DD4 one day.

I think that it really did him good to have this struggle now, with Mommy at his side, teaching but never forcing, rather than shelter him til he is older. It seems to have cleared the air for a while. I am under no illusions that this will be his/our last struggle with faith, though. But I think it is a good foundation for future learning.

And, I also think DS became LESS fearful overall since we studied mythology-- he is much less nervous and anxious than he used to be... it is as if he needed to see and name evil in stories... to see that not every story has a happy ending... as I said above, with Mommy at his side, so that the darkness is seen in context with the rest of life, not like a child alone & fearful in dark.

What a long post! Hope this helps answer the question.

This definitely isn't a problem in our house, though we're a family that believes all paths lead to the divine, so we're coming at this from a different viewpoint than most here. But I also want my dd to question things when she's older. I don't want her to believe something just because I do, or just because dh does. I want her to figure out what she believes in her own heart and work from there.