Menu

What would you do with leftover roast?

Depending on how much meat there was, I would probably separate it and freeze it in recipe-size portions and some would make its way into beef stroganoff, some into soup, some into fried rice or onto a salad or in a sandwich. My kids like beef pieces (or chicken or turkey) mixed in gravy and served over rice or mashed potatoes or noodles.

Can I come to your house for supper? :)

Enchiladas-make a pan to freeze. Just the tortillas and meat. Add sauce/toppings when putting in the oven.

Put the roast in the crockpot with some powdered au jus and water. Cook all day and serve on toasted rolls.

Fry corn tortillas and use it for the filling. Add a can of rotel when heating.

Depending on how much meat there was, I would probably separate it and freeze it in recipe-size portions and some would make its way into beef stroganoff, some into soup, some into fried rice or onto a salad or in a sandwich. My kids like beef pieces (or chicken or turkey) mixed in gravy and served over rice or mashed potatoes or noodles.

Can I come to your house for supper? :)

Dinner tonight can be beef stroganoff - easy and equal to stew in the "comfort food" factor. The remainder would get frozen for future use in all the ways mentioned above.

Oh, and my very first response to your question was to suggest you bring it to MY house! :D

:iagree: with everyone else! They all took my ideas!

One thing about stew though. You could make it with pre-prepared beef stock (not broth) and frozen veggies and it would only take about 20 minutes. If you simmer it all for about 20 min. all the flavors will blend and it will be great.

Wow, you all have some yummy ideas!

I do have to ask... I keep seeing Beef Stroganoff mentioned. The only experience I have with Beef Stroganoff is the hamburger helper variety from when was growing up. I couldn't eat it... even seeing the name nearly turns my stomach.

Y'all must be making it much differently... anyone have a good recipe or tips to share? Maybe my kids would like it... maybe *I* would like it, if it was done right?

Here's one:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/102134

Another:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Beef-Stroganoff-III/Detail.aspx

And finally:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_26902,00.html

The last time I made stroganoff, I did it wheat and dairy free, which was an interesting experiment -- one that turned out rather well, I might add. I generally take a sampling of recipes like the ones above and modify them per my own tastes and what ingredients I have in my house that moment. So, for example, on the above recipes:

• I might add red or white wine rather than sherry or cognac, because that's what I have on hand.
  • I would likely substitute the beef consomme with bouillon cubes or even chicken stock, because I'm not much of a fan of canned soupy things. But, to each her own.
  • No way in the flip side of Heaven would I put cornichons in my stroganoff, because the idea disgusts me.

You get the idea.

HTH!!

I usually go with something Mexican. I heat the shredded beef with a little oil, mix in some taco/fajita-type seasonings (little of this, dash of that ;)), a can of diced green chiles, a can or two of black beans depending on how much meat I had. Then we use flour tortillas and make burritos with a little cheese and sour cream. Sometimes I do rice, I've been meaning to try it with cilantro, since that's what Chipotle does.

Not as healthy, but tasty. I've also mixed the meat with seasonings and refried beans and made the burritos and then FRIED them as chimichangas. That's been pretty rare though, but soooo good.

Wow, you all have some yummy ideas!

I do have to ask... I keep seeing Beef Stroganoff mentioned. The only experience I have with Beef Stroganoff is the hamburger helper variety from when was growing up. I couldn't eat it... even seeing the name nearly turns my stomach.

Y'all must be making it much differently... anyone have a good recipe or tips to share? Maybe my kids would like it... maybe *I* would like it, if it was done right?

Here's what I do:

1. I start with a rue (in a saucepan, melt 2tbsp butter with 2 tbsp flour and whisk continuously until bubbly)

When rue is bubbly I add about 1 1/2 cup beef stock (not broth)

Whisk until it thickens slightly, then add about 1/4 cup milk.

2. Cook some egg noodles partially, just past crunchy, but not done yet

3. Mix the above 2 with your leftover meat and put in the oven (350) for about 20-30 minutes.

Sometimes I add some frozen peas.

Sometimes I top with breadcrumbs mixed with parm/reg cheese and dotted with butter.

I'm popping off to bed, but here's a stroganoff-esque recipe my 11yo dd made awhile ago. She substituted pork, but the original recipe calls for beef. It was soooooo good. It's called Mushroom Steak 'n' Linguine. Yum. Oh! I just remembered that I bought some sell-by date steaks the other day... I'll have to get some fresh spinach and ask Primo to cook this up again.

Guest Virginia Dawn

Ropa vieja. shred the meat and simmer it in stewed tomatoes, with chopped onion, minced garlic, a chopped jalapeno, some chopped green pepper, a Tablespoon of vinegar, a few shakes of cinnamon and cloves, and salt to taste. Cook till all ingredients are soft and tender. serve over rice.

I made two roasts at the same time, thinking I might make stew with the second roast. Tonight, I don't feel like making stew, but I need to use the meat.

It's fall-apart tender, delicious, and there's a lot of meat.

Any suggestions?

I had other ideas, but I see them all listed above. :D So, "yeah, those too!"