Menu

Which Emma dvd?

The latest one from PBS (ETA Masterpiece Theater) (I think 2009?) is my favorite. I forgot who played Emma, and at times she sort of bugged me, but overall it was a wonderful production.

Second to that I like the one with Kate Beckinsale.

And of course I had to watch the one with Gwynneth Paltrow because, well, it's another Jane Austen!

Edited by AuntieM

The latest one from PBS (I think 2009?) is my favorite. I forgot who played Emma, and at times she sort of bugged me, but overall it was a wonderful production.

Second to that I like the one with Kate Beckinsale.

:iagree: ... if you're talking about the version with Romola Garai! I thought she was excellent in the role. Emma was supposed to be somewhat irritating to the reader - Jane Austen said that she was "creating a heroine who no-one but myself will very much like".

I also liked the version with Kate Beckinsale, but I don't think it's as close to the book as the more recent one.

Gwyneth Paltrow hands down. BBC's was boring and the new one that was just released had me HATING Mr. Knightly. All he did was yell at Emma and be hateful to her.

Wow, I had the opposite impression. Seems to me that in the others Mr. Knightly was so stoic that it came as a surprise that he even liked Emma at the end. I think in this latest one we see his conflicted feelings throughout, even though Emma doesn't. JMO, of course.

Wow, I had the opposite impression. Seems to me that in the others Mr. Knightly was so stoic that it came as a surprise that he even liked Emma at the end. I think in this latest one we see his conflicted feelings throughout, even though Emma doesn't. JMO, of course.

Really? I thought Jeremy Northam was great as Mr. Knightly. Stoic, yes, but his attraction to Emma came through loud and clear.

Really? I thought Jeremy Northam was great as Mr. Knightly. Stoic, yes, but his attraction to Emma came through loud and clear.

I think that this version struck me as the harshest reproach of Emma for her snide comment about the chatterbox... maybe that's why he's not my favorite.

I think, by the end, I actually like *all* the Mr. Knightlys. :001_wub::001_wub::001_wub: I just like that 2009 production the best.

:iagree: ... if you're talking about the version with Romola Garai! I thought she was excellent in the role. Emma was supposed to be somewhat irritating to the reader - Jane Austen said that she was "creating a heroine who no-one but myself will very much like".

I also liked the version with Kate Beckinsale, but I don't think it's as close to the book as the more recent one.

:iagree:

:iagree::001_wub:

Whereas I found the newest Mr. Knightly kind of a jerk. I didn't see where he cared about Emma. I saw where he wanted her for his wife and was angry when she didn't measure up to his expectations. I kind of found him a jerk in the book too though:blush:

Maybe we should have an Emma book/movie club. We could all read it over the break and watch all the movies and have discussions over the book's depiction

Cause, you know, we have all this time on our hands with nothing better to do:lol:

Whereas I found the newest Mr. Knightly kind of a jerk. I didn't see where he cared about Emma. I saw where he wanted her for his wife and was angry when she didn't measure up to his expectations. I kind of found him a jerk in the book too though:blush:

Whaaaaa??? Are we talking about the same production of Emma (2009)? Cuz I saw none of those things. :confused:

The one with Gwyneth Paltrow!!!!!

Melissa and Dorinda - isn't it funny how two people can watch the same thing and come away with totally opposing views on it?

I like the one with Romola Garai, but I think it just moved too slowly. There really isn't enough story there for 4 episodes. I'm actually watching it now with my 15yo; we both prefer the Gwyneth one. Mr. Knightly (Jeremy Northam) is way more dreamier in that version, too!

Whaaaaa??? Are we talking about the same production of Emma (2009)? Cuz I saw none of those things. :confused:

:lol: Yup!

The one with Gwyneth Paltrow!!!!!

Melissa and Dorinda - isn't it funny how two people can watch the same thing and come away with totally opposing views on it?

That's totally what I was thinking. I also think that because I like Gwyneth Paltrow's so much, it probably colored my opinion of the new one. I did enjoy everyone else in the 2009 version. :D

I started a new thread about Sense and Sensibility because of the discussion on this one. Dive in if you dare!:lol:

Me too, me too! I really enjoyed the one with Romola Garai. I loved the look of it as well as the performances.

If you don't want to wait for Emma then watch Sense and Sensibility on instant play. This was our situation this weekend when dd 10 wanted to watch Emma and it wasn't available on instant. She LOVED Sense and Sensibility.

We have already done that! It just made dds want to see more!