Menu

The today show finance idiots

Martha, the fashion industry is worth billions of dollars. Let that be, because lord knows we need the jobs.

It'd be nice if the US still manufactured clothing and shoes and hand bags, true. But many people are employed by the industry.

And, like it or not, fashion can be art. Fashion is a lot about art.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm not in a blue state, but I do support Schumer's idea of raising taxes on those making over a million a year.

Honestly, when I read here how truly desperate many people's financial situations are (did you see the gal who mentioned perhaps not eating so her kids could have more of the food in the fridge?), I'm shocked there's any debate at all over raising taxes on people making more than a million a year.

Well, I'm not in a blue state, but I do support Schumer's idea of raising taxes on those making over a million a year.

Honestly, when I read here how truly desperate many people's financial situations are (did you see the gal who mentioned perhaps not eating so her kids could have more of the food in the fridge?), I'm shocked there's any debate at all over raising taxes on people making more than a million a year.

Oh, that's just class warfare, jld. Haven't you heard? :glare:

I personally wouldn't want to see that. I want out of this part of the conversation.

I don't want to see any more inequality than we already have in our country. But I think if the red states took a minute and thought about what the blue states bring to the Union, they might see them a little differently.

I think we need an honest, realistic conversation about money in our country. Someone once told me that government is our shared purse. Do we like how the money is being spent?

And I'm not sure what you mean about wanting out of this part of the conversation.

We all have different experiences, but I see you are outside DC not inside.

If I could afford one of the houses near the National Cathedral, then I would be living IN DC, LOL :) Alas, I can't b/c I choose to stay home with my child. But we have always said that we would LOVE to live in DC :) But your right, I wouldn't live in the ghetto any more than I would move back to the "boonies".

I don't have an issue with raising taxes on those who make more than a million a year.

I don't want to see any more inequality than we already have in our country. But I think if the red states took a minute and thought about what the blue states bring to the Union, they might see them a little differently.

I think we need an honest, realistic conversation about money in our country. Someone once told me that government is our shared purse. Do we like how the money is being spent?

Well, aren't we all just a bunch of godless communists who hate America and love abortion? :tongue_smilie:

Oh, that's just class warfare, jld. Haven't you heard? :glare:

Given that someone in NY who earns 200K plus per annum already pays the state 7.85%, someone who earns 1,000,000 pays $78,500 to the state (not including Federal taxes etc and yes I know that there are deductions I am giving a simplified example) and now people want even more...yes that is class warfare.

All you wealthy New Yorkers I am sure there are other states that will take far less of your money....oh I see many of you have already found them which is why many are leaving.

You're welcome. How would you like to see this change, justamouse? What would be a more fair, or more just way to divide up the money? Just let each state live with its own wealth, and not share with poorer states?

I have NO idea (rather, the solution is so vast and complex, I wouldn't know where to begin). I am not against helping out --I'm a pinko commie, believe me, ;) but our OWN schools need to be rebuilt, you know? And we need more of them. I also think that if we didn't subsidize them, no one would live there.

I guess the ultimate solution would be to provide/grow enough businesses/manufacturing that they wouldn't need the $. I DO think that will happen. It might be painful getting there, though. Green technology-I'd love to see the rail roads come back--but then companies would have to BE here, and pay living wages which would mean cost of end product would have to go up and what are people willing to pay? and universal healthcare would help with all of that because a small companies biggest expense is healthcare (which is why they ship out) and taxes upon taxes and the spectacular amount of stupid regulation (our state is a nightmare for business regulations) which makes DOING business even harder....where do you begin?

I need a drink. :D;)

I agree that you need good clothes if you are in (or hope to be in) a high end job. However, my brother manages to do it entirely through thrift stores, consignment shops, and ebay. He knows his brands well and hits the stores often. It only takes him a couple of minutes to look through a store to see what they have. He refuses to buy new.

That's great! I'm sure it's even harder for a man, because suits are usually altered to fit the original purchaser, but your brother is probably at a point where he can look at something and tell if it will fit him. Some people have a real gift for bargain shopping!

Cat

The median income in NYC itself varies by borough. None of them have a median income over that of the state as a whole. For mean income, only Staten Island and Manhatten are higher than NY state and only Manhatten's is significantly higher ($121,000.) This is household income, not individual. I imagine that why it seems different than that is the gulf between the have's and the have-not's in NYC is huge.

Most people in NYC do not have super-high incomes, but the ones you notice do.

Very well explained, Renee. So many people believe that everyone in NYC lives like a king, but that's not the case at all. There are a lot of very unpleasant (and unsafe) places where lots of great people live, because it's all they can afford.

Cat

I have NO idea (rather, the solution is so vast and complex, I wouldn't know where to begin). I am not against helping out --I'm a pinko commie, believe me, ;) but our OWN schools need to be rebuilt, you know? And we need more of them. I also think that if we didn't subsidize them, no one would live there.

I guess the ultimate solution would be to provide/grow enough businesses/manufacturing that they wouldn't need the $. I DO think that will happen. It might be painful getting there, though. Green technology-I'd love to see the rail roads come back--but then companies would have to BE here, and pay living wages which would mean cost of end product would have to go up and what are people willing to pay? and universal healthcare would help with all of that because a small companies biggest expense is healthcare (which is why they ship out) and taxes upon taxes and the spectacular amount of stupid regulation (our state is a nightmare for business regulations) which makes DOING business even harder....where do you begin?

I need a drink. :D;)

I think a green tech revolution is definitely the way to go, and I certainly support universal health care. I'd love to see free education, too, or at least more heavily subsidized higher education. And I think our nation desperately needs to embrace evidence-based science, and make reality-based financial decisions.

Very well explained, Renee. So many people believe that everyone in NYC lives like a king, but that's not the case at all. There are a lot of very unpleasant (and unsafe) places where lots of great people live, because it's all they can afford.

Cat

So true.

So many people believe that everyone in NYC lives like a king, but that's not the case at all. There are a lot of very unpleasant (and unsafe) places where lots of great people live, because it's all they can afford.

Cat

Or they live in CT like us, or in NJ like dh's brother, or out on Long Island like dh's sister and her husband, and they spend hours commuting.

Oh you crazy romantic fools! :D

What'll it be this year? Re-paving the driveway? (Or are you saving that one for Valentine's Day?) ;)

Cat

Oh, I had the driveway repaved last year for dh's birthday. We're getting a new sidewalk for Valentine's Day. :D

It's that way here in DC too. DH has to look nice, PLUS, he needs his shirts to have size 37 sleeves, so we order off the internet and spend $75-$100 per shirt and pants average about $150-$200. I don't even think that is the "high end" stuff, LOL, I'm sure there are people around here dressed better... but that's all we can spend on clothing right now. Don't even get me STARTED on suits!!! Atleast DH only has to wear those on "important" occasions...

ETA: DH doesn't work for the media or Fashion, just the government.

Crickey. I do understand some times a nice whatever is necessary to purchase. But how big a wardrobes does a person need? A few shirts, a few pants, a few blazers. Done. Maybe a new one for Christmas.

We recently had to go higher end than usual because of my tall and skinny teens. Literally nothing in his size pants under $75! So I put the word out and sure enough, Drysdales has nice pants for $30 and if they don't have his size in stock, tailored pick up in two days is only $4 more.

Shop, shop, shop around!!! Sometimes you'll just have to bite the bullet, but stock up when you strike gold.;)

The median income in NYC itself varies by borough. None of them have a median income over that of the state as a whole. For mean income, only Staten Island and Manhatten are higher than NY state and only Manhatten's is significantly higher ($121,000.) This is household income, not individual. I imagine that why it seems different than that is the gulf between the have's and the have-not's in NYC is huge.

Most people in NYC do not have super-high incomes, but the ones you notice do.

Yes. This is what I was getting at. The notion that $250k isn't enough to get by, just can't be realistic to the numbers. At least HALF the state citizens household income is no where near that. Yet one prays they have a decent home and clothes on their back.

Martha, the fashion industry is worth billions of dollars. Let that be, because lord knows we need the jobs.

It'd be nice if the US still manufactured clothing and shoes and hand bags, true. But many people are employed by the industry.

And, like it or not, fashion can be art. Fashion is a lot about art.

Hey. I have no issue with fashion. More power to them. This thread is not abut bashing anyone who makes a nice income, has a big fancy house, or wears name brand or designer clothes. Not at all. I certainly don't think less of them for any of that.

This thread is about a distortion of reality for what appear to be at least half or more of our country. The notion that living in that style is a reasonable, nay a bargain necessity, for the average middle class income. Is it really? Or does our nation have an inflated view of what they can afford? Or does a segment of our nation (media, higher income bracket, govt, or whatever) really have that little of a clue about the reality of half their fellow citizens?

I don't want to see any more inequality than we already have in our country. But I think if the red states took a minute and thought about what the blue states bring to the Union, they might see them a little

differently.

I think we need an honest, realistic conversation about money in our country. Someone once told me that government is our shared purse. Do we like how

the money is being spent?

And I'm not sure what you mean about wanting out of this part of the conversation.

I think she meant that corner of the kitchen is too hot for her.:)

Yes. I agree. That's why I mentioned the center of the country being a breadbasket. We may not have big moneymaking incomes as often here. But we have many resources that the rest of the nation absolutely benefits from as much as or more than we do. This was a huge argument when our nation was formed, pre, during, and post civil war as well. What can the bigger populations/cities/states have the right to expect smaller (populations, more rural, less industrial) to bring to the table and vice versa?

Sadly I feel part of the problem is that as a nation we have started to ignore what our fellow states can bring to the table and go straight to being a nation dependent on international trade to keep us afloat.

But that is all a whole other topic!:D

I can see over a million. But .. I have to tread very carefully here for personal reasons...

a couple making 250 in a metro area is not making a lot--but the media makes it out like they are living high on the hog and many aren't so I can see why the Bush era tax cuts are needed.

We make less than that BUT we own our building and the government says that because our company can pay the mortgage, it's income to us and we get PERSONALLY taxed on it.

That is $ that never hits my pocket and I get taxed on the ability to pay the building's mortgage. Meaning I am bumped up into a tax bracket that I don't LIVE in. So those Bush tax cuts mean a lot to us even though we don't actually bring home that $. I paid the government 16k last year (On TOP of my yearly deductions-I'm going to get sick just thinking about it). I pay the state 15k a year. You THINK I'm making a boat load of $ here, but I'm not. That's 30k that paid taxes and not even sales tax.

You are a gifted communicator.

Given that someone in NY who earns 200K plus per annum already pays the state 7.85%, someone who earns 1,000,000 pays $78,500 to the state (not including Federal taxes etc and yes I know that there are deductions I am giving a simplified example) and now people want even more...yes that is class warfare.

Cripes, I cannot believe I may agree with prq more than twice in my lifetime.

Cat

Very very true. You can't live in NYC and make 30k. You'd be living in poverty.

Edited by justamouse

Or they live in CT like us, or in NJ like dh's brother, or out on Long Island like dh's sister and her husband, and they spend hours commuting.

And *that* is why people move from cities. My dh works from home most of the time now, but when we were looking to buy, we realized we had to leave the city. We left when I was pregnant with our first child. Hs was not common back then, and we didn't want to be right in Boston, as the schools are dicey in the city. For an easy commute, take a place like Brookline...an absolutely wonderful community with many, many services, truly good schools, and an amazing high school. Yes, these are 1.4 & 1.6 million, and 3 million dollar *condos*. And the over -500k apartment.. does that look like a Park Avenue Penthouse? What would that cost in NYC?

www.trulia.com/MA/Brookline

All of those folks could leave...but then Brookline would not be the vibrant town that it is, have the serviciesit does, or be home to multiple world -class hospitals etc. However, many of us simply cannot manage this, so we have to settle living within 'communting' distance, which doesn't work for everyone.

Edited by LibraryLover

Ahhh but when you can find it you are one step closer to Paradise.

It is amazing how many people I know who have never seen the stars, I don't mean those paltry few one can see from the city or suburbia, but stars you can read by.

I'd rather drive an hour when I want to see the stars than have to drive an hour every day to get to work (or dh have to). It's a trade-off.

It is more than just a house one can get elsewhere. I used to live in an area where people never locked their doors, where neighbours would check in on one and other and where community still existed. I know that still is to be found in some places on the coasts but I dare say not in the city or suburbia.

I don't think anyone would argue that Northern NJ doesn't fall into the suburbia category and I live in a community where we have this. The town I live in has a crime rate of 1.2 per year (mostly domestic disputes). Our neighbors check up on each other, keep an eye on kids playing outside, we have Ladies Nights and Family nights where we all get together. I do know people who don't lock their doors. I know people living in places all around Northern NJ who have similar experiences.

I don't think anyone would argue that Northern NJ doesn't fall into the suburbia category and I live in a community where we have this. The town I live in has a crime rate of 1.2 per year (mostly domestic disputes). Our neighbors check up on each other, keep an eye on kids playing outside, we have Ladies Nights and Family nights where we all get together. I do know people who don't lock their doors. I know people living in places all around Northern NJ who have similar experiences.

Deem yourself very lucky.

Very very true. You can't live in NYC and make 30k. You'd be living in poverty.

But 18% of residents in NYC *are* in poverty. And I imagine quite a few more are above poverty level (which is $22K for a family of 4) but still below $30K.

Are wages for low-skill work higher there? Most unskilled work and low-skilled work pays $8-10 an hour here. It seemed to be about the same in NC. Anyone know what a grocery store cashier makes in NYC?

What are you defining as a "great" job? (Never minding that obviously the majority can't all have great jobs.)

I know people that make 6 figures. It's not like I live in the ghetto. I don't know anyone that feels that have to spend that kind of money on clothes, much less one item, to get or keep their great professional jobs.

Perhaps that has a lot to do with the mentality where you live compared with the norm in my area. Just as you don't know any CPAs, lawyers, (etc) who spend a lot of money on their clothing, I don't know more than a few who don't. They may not all spend $2,000 on a suit, but they're not spending $300 on it, either. I have no idea what they would get for $100.

Don't even get me started on what my dh paid for the last Giorgio Armani tuxedo he bought (or the shoes, or the accessories...) :glare: And I'm pretty sure it doesn't even fit him any more. :banghead:

And I don't know what's wrong with your Target or what you are doing to them. Either the clothes fit when they are purchased or not. There's the clothes aren't "lasting" a year in an office job, then there's something screwy going on. I've got dresses and skirts and tops and shoes I've had for many many years. I don't think I've ever spent more than $40 tops for an article of clothing in my life. Maybe a coat.

It's all about the quality of the clothing. There is a huge difference between a dress from Target and a dress by St. John or Armani. Go to Neiman Marcus and look at the women's (and men's) suits, and then go to a low-end store and compare for yourself. There is no comparison, and people know the difference. My mother would have had me shot if I wore acrylic instead of cashmere. (But I have to admit that Mom was a snob. She was the best mom in the world, though. We had the best times together!)

Not trying to pick a fight. I'm honestly not seeing that as an issue for most people I know. :confused: Though I do know a few who use that as their excuse to do it.:)

As I said earlier, I don't think it's anything to debate. I think it's a geographic thing. Target would be ok for very casual clothes, but even a "casual" office environment would require something that came from at least a store like Talbot's.

I'm not saying that no one around here wears clothes from Target or Walmart -- of course they do. I bought my favorite pajamas at Walmart a few years ago. I was wandering around while I was waiting for a prescription to be filled, and I came across them in 4 different colors. I wore them to death and I wish I still had them! I finally replaced them with some cute pjs I bought at Sam's Club, so I'm not a complete fashion snob by any means! I'm also addicted to the shoe department at Marshalls, since I found a pair of Uggs boots for $149 and a pair of Cole Haan boots for $199. I will buy jeans anywhere that they have my size and it looks like they might fit.

Most people around here aren't dressing up to go to the grocery store (although I'm pretty sure at least one of my neighbors does full hair and makeup before walking out to the mailbox... :glare:) But when they go to work or to a party, they're wearing expensive clothes and jewelry.

Cat

Edited by Catwoman

It is amazing how many people I know who have never seen the stars, I don't mean those paltry few one can see from the city or suburbia, but stars you can read by.

I grew up in and always lived in huge metro areas until I came here. I still gape in awe at an enormous sky full of stars. It truly is worth the extra miles to a store.

This thread is about a distortion of reality for what appear to be at least half or more of our country. The notion that living in that style is a reasonable, nay a bargain necessity, for the average middle class income. Is it really? Or does our nation have an inflated view of what they can afford? Or does a segment of our nation (media, higher income bracket, govt, or whatever) really have that little of a clue about the reality of half their fellow citizens?

But that statement, in and of itself, is derogatory to the blue states. If you lived here, you'd realize that it goes both ways.

I'd rather drive an hour when I want to see the stars than have to drive an hour every day to get to work (or dh have to). It's a trade-off.

Our neighborhood is the same. And I agree with the commuting, too.

:iagree:

There are super-safe places all over the NY metro area, in terms of both property crime and violent crime. Our town rates a 1 in both categories. It's a small town, but we have well over 50 policemen keeping an eye on things, and their response time is amazingly fast if anyone has a problem.

Cat

I grew up in and always lived in huge metro areas until I came here. I still gape in awe at an enormous sky full of stars. It truly is worth the extra miles to a store.

I would really love to see all of those beautiful stars all the time, but can't I have the stores, too? ;)

Cat

But 18% of residents in NYC *are* in poverty. And I imagine quite a few more are above poverty level (which is $22K for a family of 4) but still below $30K.

Are wages for low-skill work higher there? Most unskilled work and low-skilled work pays $8-10 an hour here. It seemed to be about the same in NC. Anyone know what a grocery store cashier makes in NYC?

I don't believe that #. meaning, if you make making 22k in NYC and a family of 4, you are slipping between the cracks. There's these grey areas that suck to live in, and that is one. You can afford to breathe air but you can't afford vegetables, you know? I hate that.

I don't believe that #. meaning, if you make making 22k in NYC and a family of 4, you are slipping between the cracks. There's these grey areas that suck to live in, and that is one. You can afford to breathe air but you can't afford vegetables, you know? I hate that.

It is terrible for those who live in it, trust me. And it is very, very hard to fight your way out of it, if you even can. We live on about $22K here, but I can't even imagine that anywhere with a HCOL like NYC. Can you even afford heat at that level?!?!?

It's all about the quality of the clothing. There is a huge difference between a dress from Target and a dress by St. John or Armani. Go to Neiman Marcus and look at the women's (and men's) suits, and then go to a low-end store and compare for yourself. There is no comparison, and people know the difference. My mother would have had me shot if I wore acrylic instead of cashmere. (But I have to admit that Mom was a snob. She was the best mom in the world, though. We had the best times together!)

As I said earlier, I don't think it's anything to debate. I think it's a geographic thing. Target would be ok for very casual clothes, but even a "casual" office environment would require something that came from at least a store like Talbot's.

Cat

Yes, there is a difference, and that's why, although we are broke by any definition, I don't buy clothes at Target. Many of my clothes are actually Talbot's, via the thrift store. They still look good even used, and they hold up well for me.

The commute from CT, LI, and NJ is a nightmare, even on the train. It's truly horrible if you drive in and out. So much time is wasted and the stress is off the charts! People from other places comment on the high salaries, but if you factor in the commuting time (dh's cousin commutes a total of 5 hours a day!) the "hourly wage" isn't as impressive as it first appears to be.

Cat

I would really love to see all of those beautiful stars all the time, but can't I have the stores, too? ;)

Cat

Well, in reality? No, you can't have both. Lots of stores means lots of light pollution which means no starry, starry nights.

Most things in life are a compromise. I have to drive at least an hour to find even a small mall, but I only have to step outside my door to see miles of gorgeous fields (okay, right now it's miles of fields of gorgeous snow). You might have to drive at least an hour for my kind of view, but you've got your pick of beaucoup retailers right at hand.

I think we both enjoy the benefits of what we've got, and realize that while the other is nice, we have to go a bit out of way to get to it. And, that's really okay. It's not like anyone banned me from the Galleria, nor anyone banned you from the great big countryside.

:001_smile:

Yes, there is a difference, and that's why, although we are broke by any definition, I don't buy clothes at Target. Many of my clothes are actually Talbot's, via the thrift store. They still look good even used, and they hold up well for me.

Talbot's clothing holds up so well -- especially the stuff from a few years ago. I've noticed that the quality doesn't look as good this year, and I wasn't overly impressed last year, either. My older sweaters and slacks still look like new, but the newer stuff isn't holding up as well.

I hate that.

Cat

I think we both enjoy the benefits of what we've got, and realize that while the other is nice, we have to go a bit out of way to get to it. And, that's really okay. It's not like anyone banned me from the Galleria, nor anyone banned you from the great big countryside.

:001_smile:

That is so true, Audrey! :)

Cat

It is terrible for those who live in it, trust me. And it is very, very hard to fight your way out of it, if you even can. We live on about $22K here, but I can't even imagine that anywhere with a HCOL like NYC. Can you even afford heat at that level?!?!?

I honestly can't see how. Not to mention, you DO NOT want your kids going to those schools.

This is what I hope to do as I start buying clothes for working. I'm going to find a couple of brands that fit me well and buy them as I find used.

Talbot's clothing holds up so well

Quality really is quality. I regularly have to take stuff in to be altered because I'm so short. Whenever I take in Ann Taylor pants the alterations lady says (while I am trying them on and she's measuring) "are these Ann Taylor? I love their pants."

:lol:

Okay Cat. I like you well enough and all.

But the minute you start saying people in your area have to buy Armani in order to get or keep their job appearance...

I hate to tell you this...

But your very nice reality....

Is pretty much not even on the horizon for over half the nation.

There is maybe two places in my STATE where you might be able to buy designer like that. It involves a trip to a Saks 5th Ave.

Honey, there isn't a Neiman Marcus in my state! Tho I've been through the one in Houston and my mil likes the one in Chicago. (Mostly bc she hopes to run into Oprah there.:D)

I know a few people who do dress that way, but they aren't the norm and they have to travel to do it.

I'm not doubting your opinion is valid in the sect you bump shoulders with.

Not at all.

Just saying ....

Not the reality of most people. The numbers speak for themselves. There is no way given the reported number for the median income of a household that at least half of even just of your state's households can live like that.

Talbot's clothing holds up so well -- especially the stuff from a few years ago. I've noticed that the quality doesn't look as good this year, and I wasn't overly impressed last year, either. My older sweaters and slacks still look like new, but the newer stuff isn't holding up as well.

I hate that.

Cat

I know. Money buys less and less.

This is what I hope to do as I start buying clothes for working. I'm going to find a couple of brands that fit me well and buy them as I find used.

I've seriously regretted the new things I bought! The $45 pants I bought at Lane Bryant pilled up immediately, and I shave them with a razor just to not be embarrassed to wear them. I only wear them casually now, even though I bought them because I needed work pants! :glare:

I have some really nice clothes (by my standards :)) and they're all from the thrift store.

It's all about the quality of the clothing. There is a huge difference between a dress from Target and a dress by St. John or Armani. Go to Neiman Marcus and look at the women's (and men's) suits, and then go to a low-end store and compare for yourself. There is no comparison, and people know the difference......

As I said earlier, I think it's a geographic thing. Target would be ok for very casual clothes, but even a "casual" office environment would require something that came from at least a store like Talbot's......

Most people around here aren't dressing up to go to the grocery store (although I'm pretty sure at least one of my neighbors does full hair and makeup before walking out to the mailbox... :glare:) But when they go to work or to a party, they're wearing expensive clothes and jewelry.

Cat

We are one-income and one-vehicle, my husband is NYPD, not a professional, we live in an apartment in an ethnic neighborhood with a large immigrant population. I shop at Sears as I am a sahm who would rather spend money on Disney World and my children's clothing. But when I needed a dress for a wedding (my husband's boss) I bought the the best brand from Macys that I could afford. It would not be good for my husband for me to be wearing a dress from Target.

But is this really geographic? I would think this would be true everywhere, but I guess I am wrong?

Thrift stores in larger cities are better, IME. You get a lot of professional people donating there and so the selection is better. When I do get the chance to go into the city, I always find a really good piece or two of exceptional quality. Check often, but be patient. It is so worth the effort. I've recently shed 70 pounds, and I could never have paid full price for some of the stuff I've got recently, but thanks to the city thrift store I can wear some very pricey labels and look pretty darn good for work!

All you wealthy New Yorkers I am sure there are other states that will take far less of your money....oh I see many of you have already found them which is why many are leaving.

People who are making a million a year can afford to pay 78k to the state. They are not in danger of not eating, like the mom giving up food so her kids can eat enough.

pqr, you and I probably just have different priorities. I am thinking about that mom and others like her, and how to move them above First World subsistence level. I am not thinking about how to save money on taxes for the already well-off.

pqr, you and I probably just have different priorities. I am thinking about that mom and others like her, and how to move them above First World subsistence level. I am not thinking about how to save money on taxes for the already well-off.

That is quite the assumption and wrong, I simply understand that if you constantly take from one group then there will be less jobs, less taxes, less industry and more mothers who are in dire straits.

This is the concept of the goose who laid the golden egg. I do not want to slaughter the goose (and this is before all the moral. legal and ethical issues that come out of treating someone differently simply because he has more)

Crickey. I do understand some times a nice whatever is necessary to purchase. But how big a wardrobes does a person need? A few shirts, a few pants, a few blazers. Done. Maybe a new one for Christmas.

We recently had to go higher end than usual because of my tall and skinny teens. Literally nothing in his size pants under $75! So I put the word out and sure enough, Drysdales has nice pants for $30 and if they don't have his size in stock, tailored pick up in two days is only $4 more.

Shop, shop, shop around!!! Sometimes you'll just have to bite the bullet, but stock up when you strike gold.;)

LOL, He doesn't need a HUGE wardrobe, but even when buying the nice stuff that lasts a while... he still has to wear his dress clothes 5 days a week, so they wear out and have to be replaced. I also make sure he has different sets of shirts for Spring/Summer and Fall/Winter. And, like I mentioned, it's harder to get things for a discount when you need a size that can only easily be found on the internet.... Last year we were able to take advantage of an awesome sale Jos. Banks was having.... Buy One Suit, Get one FREE, PLUS, get a Sport Jacket (Coat?) for FREE. It was still $1000 for a suit!!! We got another suit ($750) for Free and a Cashmere Sports Jacket ($550) for Free, but still!! If/when I ever hear men complain about the cost of women's clothes I want to smack them, LOL =)

People who are making a million a year can afford to pay 78k to the state. They are not in danger of not eating, like the mom giving up food so her kids can eat enough.

That is true.

Though the taxes ARE more, (granted, you never know until you get there) you really should not be struggling. But this is MAKING a million a year, not millionaires. A million as a yearly income is MUCH different than a person who is WORTH a million. Yeah, I'd have trouble shedding tears for those making that $ yearly.

:lol:

Okay Cat. I like you well enough and all.

I like you, too, Martha! :001_smile:

Not the reality of most people. The numbers speak for themselves. There is no way given the reported number for the median income of a household that at least half of even just of your state's households can live like that.

I agree completely. I didn't say that most people live that way, but the people who own successful professional practices or who have higher level management jobs do. And a lot of the people are very competitive about that sort of thing -- mostly the women, but some of the men, too. Of course, you can't always see the competitive look in their eyes, because they can't really move their faces from all of the botox and fillers, but believe me, it's there! ;)

Shopping is a way of life around here. Maybe the designer clothing is so prevalent because we have so many high-end stores. If the stores weren't here, people probably wouldn't care as much about having the clothes. I often wonder, if there were fewer cosmetic surgeons, would so many women be walking around with the same faces? (I just bumped into a friend from high school and she could. not. move. her. face. At first, I thought she was just surprised to see me, but then I realized that she must have had a lot of work done... :eek:)

(BTW, has your mil seen Oprah in Chicago yet? Maybe she can ask her about that set of plastic glasses... ;) )

Cat

Edited by Catwoman
I am the typo queen tonight!

That is quite the assumption and wrong, I simply understand that if you constantly take from one group then there will be less jobs, less taxes, less industry and more mothers who are in dire straits.

This is the concept of the goose who laid the golden egg. I do not want to slaughter the goose (and this is before all the moral. legal and ethical issues that come out of treating someone differently simply because he has more)

Haven't they proven that tax cuts to the very wealthy don't trickle down? I'm serious, I thought read that.