Menu

Book(s) for 11yo strong reader for Christmas

I get my boys one or two books each Christmas. I need some suggestions.

He tends to be like me in that he reads by author. When he finds an author he enjoys, he immediately reads ALL of them.

Here are the authors/books he has enjoyed in the past. I am looking for something at about the same reading level as Lord of the Rings or at least no lower than Redwall.

He has read:

Everything by Rick Riordan (Percy Jackson, etc...)

Tolkien: Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit

All the Redwall books

Some Alex Rider books

All the Erigon books that are available.

All the 39 Clues books.

All of Narnia.

Any ideas? I'm leaning toward C.S. Lewis's Time Trilogy.

Thanks!

I get my boys one or two books each Christmas. I need some suggestions.

He tends to be like me in that he reads by author. When he finds an author he enjoys, he immediately reads ALL of them.

Here are the authors/books he has enjoyed in the past. I am looking for something at about the same reading level as Lord of the Rings or at least no lower than Redwall.

He has read:

Everything by Rick Riordan (Percy Jackson, etc...)

Tolkien: Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit

All the Redwall books

Some Alex Rider books

All the Erigon books that are available.

All the 39 Clues books.

All of Narnia.

Any ideas? I'm leaning toward C.S. Lewis's Time Trilogy.

Thanks!

Patricia McKillip, start with Riddlemaster of Hed and see how he likes those (buy all three books at once, it is cruel not to do so).

Ursula Le Guin, I would probably start with the Earthsea books at that age. You would need to pre-read some of the other series.

Dune

R is for Rocket and S is for Space are Ray Bradbury's books that are intended for young adults.

Neil Gaiman has a lot of books that are child and/or young adult appropriate.

Horatio Hornblower

Edited by Mrs Mungo

:lurk5: My dd10 has the same taste. My dh was so proud last year, as he bought her the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, and she didn't fly through it. It actually presented her a challenge. :D

We've been encouraging her to read some of the classics on our shelves... and I'm taking notes...

:iagree: Nathan and I love these too.

A few months ago, I read my children the 3-book series of "The Mysterious Benedict Society." I mentioned the books to a few other homeschool family friends of ours...and, their chidlren couldn't put them down!

Smiles!

~Holly

Has your ds read the Hunger Games trilogy? My ds (also 11) really loved it. I didn't really expect him to go for it since the main character is a girl, but he did...and how!

Right now ds is into steampunk and recently enjoyed Leviathan and Behemoth by Scott Westerfeld.

He's also liked the Stoneheart series by Charlie Fletcher.