Menu

I do use some Waldorf inspired things... we do a lot of arts and crafts, seasonal stories, a nature table, a lot of fairy tales and mythology. I'm very loosely using Oak Meadow with my second grader, and my own version for my 4th grader. We're primarily Charlotte Mason homeschoolers, but Waldorf has its place in our home too!

We use Oak Meadow but for 3rd we are adding in a lot of stuff from Marsha's list as well as using ALGF stories for math.

We use Rod and Staff math & SWR but I add in Waldorf touches to make them more multi-sensory. I've also done some posts on my blogs on my thoughts on some of Steiner's lectures. We've been playing with Waldorf off and on since my oldest was in preschool but it is only the last year that we really found our groove with it.

:001_smile:

I focus on waldorf methods more while the kids are younger. My ds5 is using a combination of Live Ed 1 and OM K. Dd7 participates in the fairy tale portions. Both kids will do much of Live Ed 2 (focused on Aesop and other fables) next year. My older two are more classical now although we used Live Ed as our primary curriculum for several years when they were little.

I do use some Waldorf inspired things... we do a lot of arts and crafts, seasonal stories, a nature table, a lot of fairy tales and mythology. I'm very loosely using Oak Meadow with my second grader, and my own version for my 4th grader. We're primarily Charlotte Mason homeschoolers, but Waldorf has its place in our home too!

I like the same things that you like and I'm wanting to start using them a lot more. I have never had a nature table, but would love to one soon. We already do a lot of imaginative play and fairy tale type things. I love the art aspect! I love the handwork, but I haven't done any of that yet. I also like the playstands, silks, dolls etc...but I don't have any of that (yet!)

I don't use it to school my older two children, but I think I want to use some of it for the early years for my toddler. I plan on purchasing Seasons of Joy soon.

Our playthings are Waldorf or Waldorf inspired - wooden playstands, playsilks, cotton & wool food, wooden dishes, waldorf dolls...except for the Star Wars figures!

We use a good number of Waldorf books and LOTS of the art supplies. My dd 7 is thrilled to start knitting. Lots of fairies around here and myths as well.

Honestly...I think I am at a place where I am going to follow Waldorf more closely. I have always loved playsilks, wool, simple toys (tell my mom that!), delayed academics for littles, etc.

We are using Charlotte Mason/Classical, but I am feeling SO disconnected right now. I really like the heart connection with Waldorf. The art, music, and spiritual connection is giving me a different lense to see CM/Classical with.

So now I am trying to figure out "how" to do this for my family.

I still can't quite wrap my head around creating main lessons. I have read just about everything people have suggested and I still can't quite grasp how to cover different subjects in one topic. I may be making it harder than it really is. Lol

Guest Cindie2dds

Angel, since you have quite a few children, I would look at ALGF's blog for ideas. All her products are inexpensive how tos no matter what Waldorf-type curriculum you ultimately choose. She reAlly helped me to understand form drawing, chalk drawing, etc. Click around there if you haven't already.

http://www.waldorfessentials.com products

http://www.alittlegardenflower.com blog

We have been Waldorf inspired since we started homeschooling...My oldest son did first grade at a Waldorf school, and has been home since...He was also home before first grade...We have been heavily involved in Waldorf education for the past 6 years...I even took the beginning courses to become a Waldorf teacher, so I learned alot of Anthroposophy, which some here may have never heard of...

Within the last two months we have been moving away from a Waldorf style of education, as I see that I favor the classical method now that I have actually read it...I would never read it before as I thought it would just contradict what I already believed and I didn't want that...I equated wanting a Waldorf type of lifestyle with needing to do everything Waldorf, although being a Christian there are many things about Anthroposophy that I disagree with...

This was probably way more info on this topic than you wanted, but my quicker answer is that we definitely are influenced by Waldorf when it comes to our lifestyle choices - my children don't watch television or use the computer yet...They also don't play video games at all...They have never been to the movies...Their toys are all made from natural materials and we have a nature table in our home and another one in our school room...This won't change...But we are going to follow WTM suggestions as far as the actual schooling goes...

I still can't quite wrap my head around creating main lessons. I have read just about everything people have suggested and I still can't quite grasp how to cover different subjects in one topic. I may be making it harder than it really is. Lol

It may help to see how someone else has done this.

Lesson Blocks Grade One

Lesson Blocks Grade Two

Lesson Blocks Grade Three

Lesson Blocks Grade Four

Lesson Blocks Grade Five

Lesson Blocks Grade Six

Lesson Blocks Grade Seven

Lesson Blocks Grade Eight

on Youtube by Melisa of A Little Garden Flower

Outline of Waldorf Curriculum, Grades 1-8

HTH-

Mandy

Angel, since you have quite a few children, I would look at ALGF's blog for ideas. All her products are inexpensive how tos no matter what Waldorf-type curriculum you ultimately choose. She reAlly helped me to understand form drawing, chalk drawing, etc. Click around there if you haven't already.

www.waldorfessentials.com products

www.alittlegardenflower.com blog

Thanks. I have actually been talking with her to come up with a plan. :)

We are definitely waldorf influenced. Particularly in the area of play things, but I've also used a lot of other waldorf resources on and off. I suppose it comes and goes with us. I would never completely go over to Waldorf methods but of all the influences out there its one thats always there.

Throughout my children's lives, I've been inspired by Waldorf through delaying academics, no tv, natural playthings, fairy tales, etc.

I even made the leap and purchased the Enki curriculum for K-1. However, I've never been able to wrap my head around it. It's so much information, I go into overload. I probably need to get rid of it since it's taking up lots of shelf space.

For academics, we follow CM principles. I've never really "done" Waldorf in the home, but in my ideal world, we would do Waldorf for the younger years, then transition to Charlotte Mason. I haven't figured out how to do that, because, like you, I can't figure out how to do main lessons. I will be checking out those links, though.

We also have a local, brand new Waldorf homeschool co-op, which is great for Waldorf social/community events. Over the summer, we participated a few times in a sweet little toddler/pre-k Waldorf playgroup. Nature walks, singing, making bread as a group. It was lovely.

Amy....mama to 3 precious boys. Boy #4 coming early Spring.

ALGF gives you day by day lessons. They are awesome and not overwhelming. You can get a lot done and still have time for the other kids or family learning.

We are trying out Oak Meadow 2 this year. It is much different. Each Lesson is a week's worth. You plan that out how you choose. It does include most stories. I chose it because we use a VA and it is Waldorf inspired in the younger years while still hitting "the standards" that my VA seems to like to see;)

I am not sure what I like better. I do get overwhelmed easily. ALGF seems easier to me. You just have to start and pray and not be hard on yourself. If I had to pay for things myself (and in turn did no weekly/monthly reporting), I would choose ALGF hands down.

I am looking at the Simply Charlotte Mason History Guides for our next go round in history. I think they would mesh well with ALGF for the younger years.

I found ALGF yahoo list to be really helpful. I have run into some Waldorf purists on different discuss groups. I found that particular list to be pretty caring and not stuck in dogma.

I heard Eugene Schwartz speak twice. He was AMAZING and was what first influenced me towards Waldorf. My son attended a Waldorf early childhood program for three years. We pulled him out for a variety of reasons (not the least of which was the cost).

Since then I have been inspired by a variety of approaches. I tried teaching both boys to read using the Waldorf approach and they both rebelled! What's wrong with them I thought?:lol: We have done a bit of OM, but it just felt too low key and disjointed for me. Perhaps it is just I have not fully embraced Waldorf to make it work. It does feel a bit like a foreign language to me and math beyond the first grade I definitely can't wrap my brain around.

All that being said, I feel that I am basically a CM homeschooler with touches of Waldorf. In many ways I do not directly do anything Waldorf, but use the resources inspirationally. I own way too many of these. At the top of my list is Live Education. I find for myself that it is the most clear, direct information without actually saying "on Monday--you do X."

I am currently using a Waldorf approach (in bits and pieces) for math, reading, handicrafts, and time outdoors.

We do not have a nature table at present, but a seasonal shelf. I will be adding a nature shelf below this in the near future.

:)