Menu

Bathing in bleach??

Too funny that I ran across this post today! We recently went swimming and found out that it cleared up my son's skin condition, which I had always been told was eczema. I took him to the doctor to ask if he could actually have a fungus since it responded to chlorine, and she told me that if it helped him to just add 1 T. of bleach to his bath water. Since he is so small and his water is shallower, I imagine a 1/2 cup for an adult would not be too much. It would be the same as a dip in pool water. BTW, I do have an appointment at a pediatric dermatologist to see what is up with this!!:001_unsure:

Just come bathe in my city water. Whenever I fill the bathtub it smells like a swimming pool :eek:

I hate it because my skin is very sensitive, and dries easily. I don't even use soap on my face anymore. I just rinse in the hot chlorine solution straight from the faucet.

And we're supposed to drink this stuff??? I am so glad there is a spring in my town for fresh non-chemically treated water.

But you didn't ask about the water quality in my town did you?? :tongue_smilie:

No, taking a bath in additional bleach solution would be out of the question for me.

I blogged this in January:

"My dear sister, in her unending battle with soap scum hosed down the bathtub with Tilex with Bleach Sunday night. Well, I assumed she had showered yesterday morning before she went to work so when dd asked for a bath, I didn't even check. When she got out she had big blistery welts all over her back and neck and shoulders. Well, I treated them with benydrl thinking she had a reaction to the residue. And the welts did go away. But she was kind of miserable all day. It was only last night when my dear twin got home and said that she had not showered that I realized that my daughter had bathed in at least half a bottle! And that it was more along the lines of a chemical burn than a reaction!! I threw her back in the shower to remove the rest of the residue. Then spent the rest of the night til bedtime slathering her in aloe."

In conclusion, I certainly wouldn't bath in bleach on purpose but it doesn't seem to cause lasting damage. :tongue_smilie:

I blogged this in January:

"My dear sister, in her unending battle with soap scum hosed down the bathtub with Tilex with Bleach Sunday night. Well, I assumed she had showered yesterday morning before she went to work so when dd asked for a bath, I didn't even check. When she got out she had big blistery welts all over her back and neck and shoulders. Well, I treated them with benydrl thinking she had a reaction to the residue. And the welts did go away. But she was kind of miserable all day. It was only last night when my dear twin got home and said that she had not showered that I realized that my daughter had bathed in at least half a bottle! And that it was more along the lines of a chemical burn than a reaction!! I threw her back in the shower to remove the rest of the residue. Then spent the rest of the night til bedtime slathering her in aloe."

In conclusion, I certainly wouldn't bath in bleach on purpose but it doesn't seem to cause lasting damage. :tongue_smilie:

The poor girl, that must have been awful!

I was just thinking since the person to whom this advice was given has already covered her skin with a chemical dye, fixing it with bleach probably won't seem too horrifying :D

half a cup in a whole tub of water? that's almost safe enough to drink :-)

bleach is used for a myriad of purposes w/ little danger if you use it properly.

There's probably a higher concentration of chemicals in a pool than in a tub of water w/ half a cup of bleach.

I had written my cell phone number in permanent ink on ds' arm when we went to Six Flags. It was gone w/in a few hours.

a couple interesting tidbits:

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/fsdisas.html

"If you can’t boil water, you can disinfect it using household bleach. Bleach will kill some, but not all, types of disease-causing organisms that may be in the water. If the water is cloudy, filter it through clean cloths or allow it to settle, and draw off the clear water for disinfection. Add 1/8 teaspoon (or 8 drops) of regular, unscented, liquid household bleach for each gallon of water, stir it well and let it stand for 30 minutes before you use it. Store disinfected water in clean containers with covers."

http://www.med.cornell.edu/ehs/faq/biological_safety.htm

I think it *sounds* crazy cuz so many people focus on how strong bleach is w/o thinking about how it's s'posed to be used properly.

Some people with ichthyosis have to bathe in a mild bleach solution. From F.I.R.S.T.

Body odor can be a problem for people with ichthyosis. Regular bathing is helpful. Adding two teaspoons of bleach or vinegar to one gallon of bath water may help. The problem seems to come from bacteria trapped in the dead layers of skin.

Bacterial infections can be a problem for some people with ichthyosis. Some individuals suggest adding two TEASPOONS of Clorox to one gallon of bath water. Carefully measure each gallon of water as you fill your tub and then mark the tub so that you can always fill with the same amount. For example, add 30 teaspoons of Clorox to 15 gallons of water.

My boys haven't had to deal with this yet, but as they get older it might become an issue.

Too funny that I ran across this post today! We recently went swimming and found out that it cleared up my son's skin condition, which I had always been told was eczema. I took him to the doctor to ask if he could actually have a fungus since it responded to chlorine, and she told me that if it helped him to just add 1 T. of bleach to his bath water. Since he is so small and his water is shallower, I imagine a 1/2 cup for an adult would not be too much. It would be the same as a dip in pool water. BTW, I do have an appointment at a pediatric dermatologist to see what is up with this!!:001_unsure:

That's interesting. Now that you mention it.. my sons acne clears up every summer after he has been in the pool too. Interesting!

Her son has a spot of MRSA, the drug-resistant staph infection, and bathing in a mild bleach solution is part of the treatment protocol.

Interesting. Learn something new everyday. I'm glad to know it is not dangerous and could even be helpful in some situations.

The poor girl, that must have been awful!

I was just thinking since the person to whom this advice was given has already covered her skin with a chemical dye, fixing it with bleach probably won't seem too horrifying :D

You got a point there! ;)

I would imagine that it would be terribly dangerous. Your skin takes in a lot of moisture, even when showering. So between what your body takes in, and the droplets that you inhale, even a shower isn't so safe. And bleach isn't all that fun to breathe anyway. I've just about banned all non-green cleaners from my house anyway.

I bought an Aquasana filter for my shower, (and I don't even have chlorinated city water).

conditions that clear up when people are out swimming in the pools during the summer may be clearing up because of the sun. That is what happens with me, anyway. A short few sessions in a tanning bed would have me right back to smooth arms.