Menu

Diaper Rash

My favorite OTC product is Flander's Buttocks Ointment. At some pharmacies, you have to ask at the counter, at others it's on the shelf. Also, you may want to call your pediatrician. My youngest had a bad diaper rash that wouldn't clear up, and it turns out it was eczema related. A prescription cream cleared it up in under 24 hours, and the poor little guy stopped suffering.

HTH!

Shelly

Extra virgin coconut oil works well - it gets absorbed into the skin, but it also protects well. I have a good friend that swears by it, and she also said it healed eczema rash sores on one of her dc.

Some people swear by Bag Balm (I couldn't handle the smell, so I never tried it).

Zinc oxide ointment works well for some people.

I hope you find something that will help your little guy!

I have used Desitin and other stuff on him and it doesn't seem to be working..

What else can I use to help him out.. His little booty is raw~poor guy

If it's really red and oozing, Maalox can help heal it quickly by counteracting the acid that's causing it. Especially good if it was caused by diarrhea to begin with. Then the butt paste will keep it from recurring.

Barb

the best thing for my kids was to make sure that you dry out their bottom everytime you change them. clean it really well with a warm washcloth or wipe and then fan it with a diaper or even a blowdryer on a cool setting until relaly really dry. then put any cream on to seal out the moisture. good luck.

We used Crisco :-)

During the day, I let the babies go bare as much as possible, then put the Crisco on at night with the diaper.

I also found out that my first baby was allergic (or lactose intolerant...whatever) to dairy, and as long as she didn't consume any milk or cheese, she was rash-free.

Okie dokie...you first have to rule out yeast infection.

My ds has put me through the ringer on this diaper rash thing and I have used it all, girlfriend.

Of course, air time is the best but what you can do in the meantime is use medicated baby powder and Burt's Bee diaper ointment. Boudreaux Butt paste smells weird. The key thing is the Johnson and Johnson medicated baby powder. Pour some on and rub it in gently. Smear on diaper cream. I would also use Huggies Sensitive Wipes or Shea Butter. The Costco brand is murderous on tushies.

My Dad is a pharmacist. When we were born be began asking is older customers what worked best for diaper rash. My sister and I apparently had very sensitive bottoms. My poor parents. Anyway, he heard great reviews about stuff called Resinol. It does the trick and whenever I am asked about diaper rash I sing its praises..Good luck:) PS...I use it on all skin irritations...even blemishes!

When it's time to change a diaper I would always run some warm water in the sink and gently wash the baby instead of using wipes.

I can't remember if I used soap but if I did it was probably just a tiny squirt of Baby Magic or other mild soap into the water. If I used soap at all I would run a little more warm water to rinse off.

Then if you can, get the baby very dry (leave the diaper off for a little while) before you put the cream on. We always used Vaseline and it was never irritating.

It's a lot of work to do it this way but I would always see much improvement within a day.

Good luck

(((Hugs)))

On a nice, warm, sunny day, you could take him outside and put him (butt side up) on a soft comforter -- just for a little while, in the shade. My mom used to do this with my sister (also born on March 21st! -- 43 years ago). Back then most mothers used cloth diapers, but no matter how much my mom did with Big Sis, that little girl's bottom was raw. So... my mom put Big Sis out on a big blanket at the park. NO clothes. And the sunshine and air did the trick. I do hope this helps.

It is probably a skin infection at this point.

I only use cloth diapers and most diaper creams you can't use as they have fish oil in them. Yuck! Anyway, sposies are designed (if you use sposies) to draw moisture out, so the sposie is making the problem even worse.

I buy the Burt's Bees diaper cream and it does a fantastic job.

FOUR WAYS TO TREAT DIAPER RASH FLARE-UPS

No matter how diligent you are with the above measures, your baby will still have a rash from time to time. Here are some tips to treating those rough spots:

Wash off bottom with water - don't wipe the sore areas. Instead, use a bulb syringe to gently wash baby's diaper area.

Gently dab or pat away any remaining stool. Blot baby's bottom dry.

Let it air out - leave the diaper off for a while, with no diaper cream on. Lay baby on a towel (with a waterproof pad underneath to catch accidents) with her bottom up. Do this as often as you can. This will help dry out the rash, which is important for the healing process.

Diaper cream - when you do put the diaper back on, use generous amounts of cream. Here are some suggestions:

Zinc oxide - for the moderate rash.

Acid mantle - this is a brand name sold in stores. It is outstanding for moderate diaper rashes. Can be used with zinc oxide over it.

Butt paste or Triple paste - there are a variety of creams that a pharmacist can mix up for you that contain a variety of ingredients. These are good for severe rashes. One brand that is already mixed is called Triple Paste. Ask your pharmacist for some. It is non-prescription.

Clotrimazole anti-fungal cream - for stubborn rashes, yeast may be involved (see below). You can add this over-the-counter cream to help.

Hydrocortisone 1% cream - you can put this over-the-counter cream on twice a day beneath any of the other creams to help with severe rashes. It will help with the inflammation. Don't use this for more than several days at a time as long-term use can damage the sensitive skin in the diaper area.

Soothe and heal by Lansinoh. This pure lanolin ointment is excellent for soothing sore bottoms.

Mix your own - if you can't get a prescription, try mixing these together in the palm of your hand, then apply to baby's bottom:

Zinc oxide

White petroleum ointment

Acid mantle

Aluminum acetate (Burrow's solution)

If you cant find Acid Mantle, then use Lansinoh (a lanolin ointment). It is available in the diaper cream section of drug stores.

IDENTIFYING SPECIFIC DIAPER RASHES

Here are a few diaper rashes that can be more than just irritation from the stool, urine, and diaper. They usually require more specific therapy:

Contact diaper rash - this is simply the regular rash as discussed above.

Appearance - flat, red, irritated skin. When severe, skin will peel or blister and slough off.

Treatment - as described above.

Intertrigo - this is a specific rash that occurs within the skin folds and creases around the diaper area where the skin rubs together.

Appearance - Heat and moisture mixed with urine cause a red, burn-like appearance.

Treatment - regular white petroleum diaper ointment.

Yeast rash - when the skin is damaged, yeast from the intestines can invade the skin. This especially occurs with antibiotic use or prolonged rash.

Appearance - it is a red, raised, patchy rash with sharp borders, mostly over the genitalia but with satellite spots sprinkled around the diaper area. Click here to view a picture of a yeast diaper rash.

Treatment - in addition to the above measures, there are two commonly used anti-fungal creams:

Clotrimazole - over-the-counter. Apply 2 - 3 times a days beneath the other creams.

Nystatin - prescription. Not necessarily better, just different.

Acidophilus - this is a natural bacterial powder that fights off yeast. Click on it to learn more.

Impetigo - this occurs when bacteria invade the damaged skin.

Appearance - coin-sized blisters or red raised patches that ooze a honey-colored crust.

Treatment - prescription antibiotic ointment as well as the above general measures.

Seborrhea - an inflammatory condition that can affect different parts of the body, but can be especially severe in the diaper area.

Appearance - a big, red, sharply demarcated patch over the groin, genitalia, and lower abdomen. It can be more raised, rough, thick, and greasy than the other rashes.

Treatment - hydrocortisone 1% cream (over-the-counter) 2 - 3 times a day. Don't use more than a week unless directed by your doctor.

Allergy ring - a variety of foods can irritate baby's bottom, especially acidic foods such as citrus and tomato-based sauces.

Appearance - a red ring around baby's anus.

Treatment - discontinue suspected foods. Breastfeeding moms may need to eliminate foods from their diet.

My favorites for dd18mo is Triple Paste. I buy it at Target but I am sure it is available in other locations. I also like the Aveno brand diaper ointment, but the Triple paste is the best at clearing up a problem area.