Menu

Need $10 "Mexico" gift ideas

We have a white elephant exchange Christmas party to attend. The theme is "Mexico," and the price limit is $10. I need to bring three gifts.

Here are my ideas so far:

1. A $10 gift certificate to El Chicos.

2. A $10 box of those wonderful praline candies that you see at Mexican restaurants.

3. Wrap up and get rid of my BJUP Spanish 1 curriculum, which I abhor. Just kidding on the last one. No one would want it.

Can you help me with some more ideas?

It depends. If it's truly a "white elephant" gift, then it is something that once had value to the owner, but is now a burden. (look up the history of white elephant gifts) Your BJU Spanish text would fit in there, but the other two gifts would not. But if it's a gift exchange party, then the first two gifts qualify, but not the spanish text. So which kind of party is it? What kind of gifts are expected?

It depends. If it's truly a "white elephant" gift, then it is something that once had value to the owner, but is now a burden. (look up the history of white elephant gifts) Your BJU Spanish text would fit in there, but the other two gifts would not. But if it's a gift exchange party, then the first two gifts qualify, but not the spanish text. So which kind of party is it? What kind of gifts are expected?

Shes' right. I got carried away with the Mexican theme.

Shes' right. I got carried away with the Mexican theme.

Your idea would be great if it is a regular gift exchange. And many people mistakenly call a gift exchange a "white elephant" gift exchange, not really knowing what that means. If you call it that, and don't clarify what you mean, you'll get gifts of both types, and possibly some disappointed people.

We have a white elephant exchange Christmas party to attend. The theme is "Mexico," and the price limit is $10. I need to bring three gifts.

Here are my ideas so far:

1. A $10 gift certificate to El Chicos.

2. A $10 box of those wonderful praline candies that you see at Mexican restaurants.

3. Wrap up and get rid of my BJUP Spanish 1 curriculum, which I abhor. Just kidding on the last one. No one would want it.

Can you help me with some more ideas?

maracas?

Things I've seen in the Mexican section at Kroger:

Mexican hot chocolate and cookies

Jarritos soda

Coke (made with sugar not HFCS) in glass bottles

Ok, who mentioned El Chico's? I love that place! We used to go every week when I was pregnant with ds1 but haven't lived near one in over 10 years. :sad: Yes, I had some serious cravings. Good thing we lived in TX.

Cinder

A six pack of Dos Equis

Chips and Salsa (homemade salsa with recipe attached might be nice)

Book The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver

A selection of Mexican kids' books (Our local bookstore has a shelf of books in Spanish for kids. It might be difficult to figure out which ones were actually Mexican, though.)

I like the gift card to the Mexican restaurant. Gift cards usually go over well at these kids of things.

OK, technically, I'm sure you're right. But I don't like to give something the average receiver would consider junk. At this party one year, a guy wrapped up some old car parts. I would not want to receive that. (Besides, I don't have any "Mexico" junk around my house!) I think because it has a $10 limit, we're expected to go buy something.

And I really was just kidding about the BJUP curriculum. I'm the only homeschooler in this group. No one there (including me) would want to receive that. LOL!

I would love Tex Mex food or candy!

Book The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver

Love this idea, and love this author!

Edited by Cindyg

OK, technically, I'm sure you're right. But I don't like to give something the average receiver would consider junk. At this party one year, a guy wrapped up some old car parts. I would not want to receive that. (Besides, I don't have any "Mexico" junk around my house!) I think because it has a $10 limit, we're expected to go buy something.

And I really was just kidding about the BJUP curriculum. I'm the only homeschooler in this group. No one there (including me) would want to receive that. LOL!

See, if it were truly a white elephant gift exchange, then it would be mostly those type of gag gifts, and everyone would understand (and groan and laugh each time a gift is opened).

And if it's called a white elephant gift exchange, then that guy probably thought his gift was the type he was supposed to give.

OK, so far I got a 6 pack of Modelo (beer), and the $10 gift card to El Chicos. The idea to go to World Market was brilliant. Unfortunately, the didn't have much "Mexico" stuff. (??) Monday I'm either going to get the Kingsolver book or try a Mexican market for the Mexican vanilla or cocoa. Good ideas. Thanks everyone.