Menu

Time for a little introspection and honesty . . .

No secret here that mum is addicted to the internet. However, it is far more in balance than it used to be and I am not so worried about it.

I also dont miss it if I dont have access, such as on holidays. Although...I did take my ipad to Bali with me last week, and there was WiFi most places including the place we were staying...but really, probabyl a maximum of half an hour a day, including dh checking his emails.

FOr me...my kids work in our loungeroom and I am in here too. If I try and do too much, go out, do housework etc...they easiyl get distracted. Ds far more than dd. So...it really works best if I am sitting in the room with them, even though they dont need me so much any more. SO..I have my desk in here, I pay the bills, and, come here, and od Facebook etc.

And...it's all of us here, too. Since its all of us, its not such a big deal...and we honestly do have "lives" other than on the computer, so I am not too worried.

I don't think the computer itself is so much of a problem as much as...what is not being done- as in, a healthy social life, physical activity, creative activities, reading books, and getting the basics housework and cooking done. Not to mention time for hanging out and conversations, time for relationships to build and flourish.

But its certainly an issue we look at regularly and I am as bad an offender as the kids.

No secret here that mum is addicted to the internet. However, it is far more in balance than it used to be and I am not so worried about it.

I also dont miss it if I dont have access, such as on holidays. Although...I did take my ipad to Bali with me last week, and there was WiFi most places including the place we were staying...but really, probabyl a maximum of half an hour a day, including dh checking his emails.

FOr me...my kids work in our loungeroom and I am in here too. If I try and do too much, go out, do housework etc...they easiyl get distracted. Ds far more than dd. So...it really works best if I am sitting in the room with them, even though they dont need me so much any more. SO..I have my desk in here, I pay the bills, and, come here, and od Facebook etc.

And...it's all of us here, too. Since its all of us, its not such a big deal...and we honestly do have "lives" other than on the computer, so I am not too worried.

I don't think the computer itself is so much of a problem as much as...what is not being done- as in, a healthy social life, physical activity, creative activities, reading books, and getting the basics housework and cooking done. Not to mention time for hanging out and conversations, time for relationships to build and flourish.

But its certainly an issue we look at regularly and I am as bad an offender as the kids.

This is nicely put. Definitely how I would view my addiction as well. But my kids are younger and do not really use the internet yet. And unfortunately I was not in Bali :glare:

I live in an area with little to no intellectual or cultural stimulation. No museums, opera, theater, shopping mall, pro- or semi-pro sports, etc. Nothing to do but watch the snow turn to slush, cook something, clean something else, or fold another thing entirely. Believe me if could load up in the car and take dd anywhere other than Wal-mart we'd be there. In the mean time I'll hang around with the internet.

Wow, you must be my neighbor. :D

[quote name=Peela;2206854

FOr me...my kids work in our loungeroom and I am in here too. If I try and do too much' date=' go out, do housework etc...they easiyl get distracted. Ds far more than dd. So...it really works best if I am sitting in the room with them, even though they dont need me so much any more. SO..I have my desk in here, I pay the bills, and, come here, and od Facebook etc.

Now that I'm not home educating I have had to impose a little discipline so that I get other things done. I was used to spending all day on the internet.

Laura

Now that I'm not home educating I have had to impose a little discipline so that I get other things done. I was used to spending all day on the internet.

Laura

Yes...I am wondering about that too, Laura, as my homeschooling days are coming to an end. I dont really need a job but I am looking at what I can do- project, study, part time work, creative endeavours- otherwise it would be too easy to just spend the days on the computer even if the kids aren't acutally needing me and arent even home. I am sure something will turn up.

Yes...I am wondering about that too, Laura, as my homeschooling days are coming to an end. I don't really need a job but I am looking at what I can do- project, study, part time work, creative endeavours- otherwise it would be too easy to just spend the days on the computer even if the kids aren't acutally needing me and arent even home. I am sure something will turn up.

I think that I use the rest of my time more effectively because I work three mornings a week.

Laura

I don't consider myself addicted because it doesn't keep me from regular life functioning. However, I do rely on the internet on a daily basis as a source of information and entertainment. It is a convenient way to keep in touch with people I might not otherwise have the opportunity to be in touch with.

meanies need not post. ;)

Do you think it's possible you're addicted to the internet? I was listening to a guy on the radio a while back explain how email can b/c addicting . . . something to do with endorphin release. Recently I read an article about social sites and socializing and compulsive surfing et c.

While I'm not ready for in-patient rehab, I think I need rethink how much time I spend on the computer.

Anyone else?

Not surfing around or any website so much, but maybe email. I also have a BlackBerry and so my email is always there with me. I have to have it for work, but it's more than just work stuff. I think I might be addicted to the BB specifically. It's a real love/hate affair.

I've noticed a distinct correlation between my moods and how much time I am spending on the internet. If I am depressed (even if I'm not conscious of it) I am on the internet more than when things are going fine and my mood is more stable. Also, when I'm more lonely or sad, I'm on the internet more. So yes, I do think it can be very habit forming and I have to be very aware of myself and *why* I am on the internet and gently remind myself that there are people (both big and little) IRL who need me more than the internet does.

It's hard for me because I am home alone all day with very young kids and I struggle with the lack of adult interaction so I tend to get stuck in a rut of being on the internet, missing adult companionship, then missing out on time spent with kids and feeling guilty for that and round and round it goes. It's not something I was happy having to admit to myself but that's where I'm at.

No need for me to type anything else - it's all said above...

I don't think I'm addicted but I do want to spend less time on the computer. I just read about Freedom in the NY Times magazine yesterday (the Nora Ephron interview--she uses it.)

http://macfreedom.com/

(Also for Windows, despite the URL.)

It seems you enter the length of time you want to be off the Internet and it locks you out for that time for up to 8 hours. I could see people using this to lock themselves out until lunch or after instruction time or whatever. I'm thinking of downloading the trial.

HTH.