Menu

Time for a little introspection and honesty . . .

meanies need not post. ;)

Do you think it's possible you're addicted to the internet? I was listening to a guy on the radio a while back explain how email can b/c addicting . . . something to do with endorphin release. Recently I read an article about social sites and socializing and compulsive surfing et c.

While I'm not ready for in-patient rehab, I think I need rethink how much time I spend on the computer.

Anyone else?

I've noticed a distinct correlation between my moods and how much time I am spending on the internet. If I am depressed (even if I'm not conscious of it) I am on the internet more than when things are going fine and my mood is more stable. Also, when I'm more lonely or sad, I'm on the internet more. So yes, I do think it can be very habit forming and I have to be very aware of myself and *why* I am on the internet and gently remind myself that there are people (both big and little) IRL who need me more than the internet does.

It's hard for me because I am home alone all day with very young kids and I struggle with the lack of adult interaction so I tend to get stuck in a rut of being on the internet, missing adult companionship, then missing out on time spent with kids and feeling guilty for that and round and round it goes. It's not something I was happy having to admit to myself but that's where I'm at. I struggle with SAD this time of year and the reality is, that yes, I'm on the internet more this time of year than I am in say spring, or summer.

Edited by plain jane

Addicted? Probably. Do I care? Not today. My family and I are very techie, we've had internet since you could have internet. We don't watch a lot of TV, now we watch shows online. Like everything we go in spurts, sometimes a lot, sometimes a little.

The TV used to be our time water, chill out time. Now it's the internet, but I can chose where to go and what to do. I've learned more about the world and others by being online. My world has expanded and gotten smaller at the same time. Most TV is mindless entertainment.

Do I try to watch my useless time online? Sometimes, not this week though. Will I be here while my family is eating Thanksgiving dinner? No way.

Sortof. I have thought about this and it's very depressing. It's not the internet that I'm addicted to, but I am addicted to needing a constant stream of stimuli to my brain. I have to be reading, listening, or watching something all the time. Because I don't want to be alone with my thoughts. Books, magazines, radio and TV also serve this purpose.

Yes. I meet the criteria.

Staying online longer than intended.

Not getting as much done during the day because I've sat at this computer.

Trying repeatedly and unsuccessfully to cut back on internet time.

Snapping at others when online time is interrupted.

Feeling depressed, anxious, or irritated more often when NOT online (usually because I feel guilty about my online time).

Living real life thinking about what you are going to post to FB, your blog, etc.

So yeah, I need to kick the habit.

No. At the point where I was using the computer for entertainment instead of doing something else I should be doing, I would consider that addiction and take steps to fix the situation. At his point, though, my recreational internet use does not impede my ability to go to college, be an effective mother, help dh all the time, take care of our home, prepare meals, volunteer and be involved outside the home in various capacities, read, self-educate, etc.

I do get addicted to TV, which is why we usually don't watch it. We used to sit in front of the TV for hours when I was growing up, and it was a hard habit to break.

I do get the email thing. It is just like the feeling you get checking things off of a list. It feels good to get through all the email and have the box cleaned out. I get the same feeling from returning all the library books, filling up and vacuuming and washing the car, or cleaning out the pantry.

Can people be addicted? Sure.

Am I addicted? No. And I say this as the person with the most posts on this board. This board meets a legitimate need in my life and does not in any way interfere with other legitimate responsibilities or the needs of others in my life.

I think that is the way to decide, not based on how much time you spend here.

Feeling depressed, anxious, or irritated more often when NOT online (usually because I feel guilty about my online time).

Living real life thinking about what you are going to post to FB, your blog, etc.

That sounds like me:001_huh:.

I don't know if I'm addicted so much as I have a tendency to go off on rabbit-trails and lose track of time. If someone here talks about something interesting, I'll start googling it. That will lead to something else and, before you know it, I've been online for two hours. At that point, I'll think "I need a life," and close the computer and walk away. The fact that I can walk away means I'm not addicted, right? Right??? :001_smile:

meanies need not post. ;)

Do you think it's possible you're addicted to the internet? I was listening to a guy on the radio a while back explain how email can b/c addicting . . . something to do with endorphin release. Recently I read an article about social sites and socializing and compulsive surfing et c.

While I'm not ready for in-patient rehab, I think I need rethink how much time I spend on the computer.

Anyone else?

Yes, I do. I'm not really "in to" the social forums anywhere. At one point a couple of years ago I requested to be removed from this site b/c it was trying to take over. Well, I'm glad they did not fulfill that request...there is alot of good with this and other sites.

But, it's very time consuming. I've thought about it some and it's meeting needs in all of us....social, psychological, etc etc. I've gained a wealth of info on the s.n. board...as I'm the mom to a s.n. dd.

For me personally, I'm not addicted to my mobile phone (it's merely for convenience and/or mostly for a safety precaution). I'm not.at.all interested in bing, zing, wing or whatever it is, facebook, twitter, twit or flutter. :lol: I really don't think tv has much redeeming value to it. I know that makes me weird, but so be it. I prefer one on one, face to face social interaction. BUT, I've thoroughly enjoyed getting to know the Moms/Dads on this site. And, that's how most of us will "meet" one another on this site. I met one wtm mom irl and Nakia is close and we've extended a get together with one another. That would be great. Actually, one other Mom and dd went bowling with my dd and me from this site.

I guess it's like most things...do it in moderation! HTH. Sheryl <><

I have to be careful with it. My day-to-day life doesn't involve a lot of interaction with adults, and even when it does it's not necessarily very intellectually stimulating.

It's the info and thinking and learning and connecting with people who are interested in things that sucks me in.

I agree. I also find that while I'm reading something educational, either for my own knowledge or to use for the kids, I find ANOTHER interesting thing, and move on to read that, which leads to ANOTHER interesting thing, and before you know it, I've spent hours online educating myself.

I've noticed a distinct correlation between my moods and how much time I am spending on the internet. If I am depressed (even if I'm not conscious of it) I am on the internet more than when things are going fine and my mood is more stable. Also, when I'm more lonely or sad, I'm on the internet more. So yes, I do think it can be very habit forming and I have to be very aware of myself and *why* I am on the internet and gently remind myself that there are people (both big and little) IRL who need me more than the internet does.

It's hard for me because I am home alone all day with very young kids and I struggle with the lack of adult interaction so I tend to get stuck in a rut of being on the internet, missing adult companionship, then missing out on time spent with kids and feeling guilty for that and round and round it goes. It's not something I was happy having to admit to myself but that's where I'm at. I struggle with SAD this time of year and the reality is, that yes, I'm on the internet more this time of year than I am in say spring, or summer.

You've said everything I was going to say. Thanks.

K

Yep I'm an addict. I'm always checking my emails, and reading this board, and researching stuff. I spend a lot of time taking notes and printing recipes to try. I'm a nerd and an addict! :) I'd be so lost without the net!

I really need a life! lol

The internet is still fairly young so I like to think of us as pioneers in a great new land ;)

That said, I absolutely spend way too much time online. It's a great escape for me but it's also therapeutic and informational as well. It's finding the right balance that is difficult.

Anyone else?

I haven't read the other replies, but I have some thoughts I'd like to share and think you are of a similar frame of mind.

I usually give up the internet except for a once-a-day email check during Lent. I am thinking of doing the same this year for Advent, a time of special preparation for the coming of our Lord and an opportunity to get my spiritual house in order. When He comes, will I be one of those who will be up waiting at the door, torch in hand? Or, will I be online?

When wondering if my life is ordered as it should be, I recently decided that I should not go online unless I give some time to our Lord in prayer first. So, instead of having a cup of tea in front of the computer, my favorite thing to do to relax before the kids get up, I at least pray a chaplet of Divine Mercy for the souls that will need it that day. It's not a lot, but, for me, it's a step in the right direction. I pray more with my kids when they get up but it's a little time for me alone to put first things first.

I agree. I also find that while I'm reading something educational, either for my own knowledge or to use for the kids, I find ANOTHER interesting thing, and move on to read that, which leads to ANOTHER interesting thing, and before you know it, I've spent hours online educating myself.

That's me too, but then again I used to be like that before Internet with my parent's encyclopedia... Is that an addiction? And if so, is it an Internet addiction, an encyclopedia addiction or what?

I have to be careful with it. My day-to-day life doesn't involve a lot of interaction with adults, and even when it does it's not necessarily very intellectually stimulating.

It's the info and thinking and learning and connecting with people who are interested in things that sucks me in.

:iagree:

I'm mostly on this forum, or email, or researching for school (way more than I really NEED to). I took 3 days off last week and was surprised at how much I accomplished in that free time. Yet here I am, back again :glare:

Am I addicted? No. And I say this as the person with the most posts on this board. This board meets a legitimate need in my life and does not in any way interfere with other legitimate responsibilities or the needs of others in my life.

I'm with Jean on this one. (I don't have near the posts she does though.) I am not addicted to the internet. Neither am I addicted to cooking, cleaning and doing laundry all day every day. Should my dd be flipping through Netfilx right now? Probably not. Do I want to play imagination games with her? No. There is only so much of that a 40-something woman wants to do.

I live in an area with little to no intellectual or cultural stimulation. No museums, opera, theater, shopping mall, pro- or semi-pro sports, etc. Nothing to do but watch the snow turn to slush, cook something, clean something else, or fold another thing entirely. Believe me if could load up in the car and take dd anywhere other than Wal-mart we'd be there. In the mean time I'll hang around with the internet.

I am and I have never thought otherwise. Although my level of addicition is probably a lot less than some. I can go most of the day without being on. But I consider myself addicted because I think about it often. I have a smartphone but I do not check it constantly while I am out either.

I think my addiction is not so much a horrible thing. I use it for reference all the time, also as a map, phone book etc... I do feel I would be lost without it.

Going by this...

Yes, I do stay on longer then I think I will. Sometimes it's like homeschooling where I will want to research a topic more, like the TSA issue. Or just being a busy mom, I forgot "Oh yeah, I meant to see how much that book was..."

I don't always get everything done I hope too, but I blame that more on being a night owl. The only time I have to watch my shows, are after the kids go to bed. Sometimes the kids and I will stay up till 1 or so trying to get caught up... LOL Plus my pre-diabetes and allergies wipes me out. So I end up starting out my day late, feeling rushed, and snappy. The things I either need to do on the internet or my "down time" just suck more of the little time I have left....

Yes, and no. Saturdays I lay in bed and my kids come and visit me and lay and chat. I love the laid backness of it all, and I relish my Saturday's. There is no rush to check my e-mail or do anything else, pc related and I LOVE that!! On the Saturday's hubby is home, he comes in and rubs my feet or back while we chat and figure out what we are going to do with our day :001_wub: Also on Sunday, we are really trying to work on Sabbath day appropriate activities. So it's limited pc time is really limited to Family Home Evening planning, or the kids playing games in the KidsClub at Scriptures4Kids.

I tend to only get snappy with the the kids after a particularly trying day, and I declare myself some "down time" which usually means internet reading. I have noticed I tend to get more agitated, and I have tried to watch this and tone it down, either by limiting myself, watching my mood, or staying away.

I don't experience the 5th. I have actually been on some sort of Fall-cleaning kick, and loving it!! LOL I feel more anxious or irritated when I can't get that done or get interrupted :lol:

I DO think about what I might put on my FB status. Not obsessively so, but something will happen and I'll think "oh, I gotta put that as my next status" :) I don't think that makes me addicted...

I do think I go through bouts of feeling, or being addicted though. When things get excessively hard, I tend to want to hide, escape, etc... so I'll spend a lot of time on the computer. I know it though, I am trying to work on it. But for me it is a way to deal with extreme stress, I suppose there could be worse things I could do... like drink the stress away... LOL

I may be, although I've gone for long stretches without needing to check in because I'm so busy otherwise. Still, when I finally get a free minute I feel compelled to check in. Part of my problem is that my pt job requires me to check my email and get online. I proofread an email newsletter and that necessitates me getting on the internet. While I'm working I often skip here and there and everywhere just to check FB, WTM, local and national news, and a dozen or so others. I also keep tabs on dd18's FB, blog and Twitter accounts for safety reasons. It's hard for me not to want to check on other things once I've opened up the browser.

As far as this forum goes, I blame SWB.:D If I hadn't needed to have 50 posts to sell on the FS board, I might have skipped the other message boards and just gone to the Sale and Swap board all the time.

Absolutely. I'm thinking about limiting myself during Advent. I've done that during Lent, and after the first week, it's really not so hard. By the time Lent is over I have to almost tell myself to go check how things are going on the a couple boards I visit. Then the cycle starts all over again.

I am absolutely addicted to my email. I keep it open all the time and it is the first thing I do when I get home. I justify it by saying it is because I have no cell phone right now so it is really the only way a lot of my friends can get in touch with me. I'm going to try yet again to break the habit when I get my phone back in a few weeks but it isn't likely.

Re. e-mail addiction - I have my e-mail on a separate open tab on my computer. If I happen to be at my computer, all I have to do is to look up at my tab and I can see if I have a new message. I will click on the tab, delete it if it is junk, read it if it is personal or save it to read later if it is something like a newsletter that I don't have time to read at the moment. I don't feel a need to check it if I'm busy and away from the computer but if I'm here anyway then I can take care of it in seconds and it keeps from becoming what for me would be a hassle to wade through a whole bunch of messages.

Have you been watching me? I have been trying to kill that fly on my wall for awhile. :)

As far as this forum goes, I blame SWB.:D If I hadn't needed to have 50 posts to sell on the FS board, I might have skipped the other message boards and just gone to the Sale and Swap board all the time.

I'm so glad you checked out the rest of the board and stayed around.

Yup, I am. And not just the internet, but stupid computer games. I limit the time the guys spend on the computer, just not mine. The problem is that some of the time is legitimate research, not just mindless stuff. How do you time that? I'm not on when we're away, or I have something better going on.

FWIW I just deleted the worst game I have because I thought it was taking too much of my time. The guys were starting to notice.

I am not addicted to the Internet right now. Then again, I can only access the Internet at places like Starbucks or at my college campus. ;) When I have free and easy access to the Internet at home, I tend to spend more time on it than I would like, because I get interested in what I'm doing. It's not necessarily negative, but it is *very* easy to lose track of time. Also, when I have more access to the Internet my Internet time tends to be spent less constructively (e.g. computer games).

I have noticed that usually I've done everything I can possibly want to do on the Internet in about two hours, and I get off at that point. So that's a good sign, I think?

I agree with a previous poster - I'm addicted to reading. But that isn't a bad thing. :)

:iagree:

I'm not addicted, although I can easily see how that could happen if I let myself. I'm mainly on the internet to check my email, work on business-related items, and get information (related to homeschooling, etc.).

I come here to relax and because I get great perspectives/ideas from the posts - but I make sure it doesn't interfere with my real-life responsibilities. This is the only message board I hang out on - and sometimes I go for several days (or even a week or two) without checking in here when life's too full.

:iagree: Although my little smiley should be frowning instead of happy about it, but this is often what I find happening to me. There are times that it has really been a problem here at home. If it weren't for work (I tutor online), I'd really be tempted to disconnect for longer periods to try to kick the habit.

No. I'm not addicted, but I do need to be wiser with my time. I haven't been here as much since we've taken off from school. Usually I'm on during school hours where I have to stay present with/for my girls, but I have time to do nothing while they do their work.

That said, I do need to practice better self control. :D

Honestly, I really don't feel guilty. The only times I do is when I'm typing something long or important and my girls are waiting for me to finish up so they can move along.

Yes to this:

Sometimes:

No to these:

I think I'm safe for now.......:001_smile:

At times, yes. I tend to do that with anything...TV, books, sewing, computer. I feel I'm always having to limit myself with things. I get better each year at becoming a bit more disciplined with myself.

With computer I go in spurts- I use it for mostly educational purposes...I just found this board again and have been on quite a bit in the past 2 days...it's great for rekindling the home school spark, gaining fresh insight and new ideas. So long as you take that away from your time online I feel that it's a great benefit. I like the sewing board I am on as well...I'd have given up that beloved hobby long ago if I hadn't found that site- the ideas and support are great and I've learned so much.

If you're on the same sites waiting around for new posts just for the heck of it then it might be time to x-out and find something more constructive to do :)

I realized the other day that I don't really do anything for just "me". It is by choice, because I love to be with my family. But, I don't go to an exercise class, or go running(:lol::lol:) to a bible study, etc.... Nothing where I am actually not here. All.of.the.time. So, I figured out that my "addiction" is really the only thing that I do for me. Other than staying up waaaay too late reading at night. Neither of which are good for me.

So, maybe I need to get a hobby or something. In which case, you will be seeing less of me.

My workday involves computer and internet 100% of the time. I am on constantly - but I don't waste my time - I am highly productive. There are days when I tend to slack off and goof around on forums, Facebook, or whatever - but it does not interfere with my work - most of the time it is my work.

Sometimes when I have to travel for work I stay at hotels and since I don't have a laptop anymore I don't bother with the internet. It's pretty nice. :D

I do feel I spend too much time on the internet - but it is not personal time so if I am addicted, it is to working on the internet and not playing.

:iagree: I am so there with you, Daisy!!!!