Menu

Do you assign Hemingway? If so, which?

I remember reading The Sun Also Rises, but after looking at Wikipedia's plot synopsis there was obviously a lot I didn't pick up on. :001_huh:

I don't remember The Old Man and the Sea, or For Whom the Bell Tolls, but they both sound familiar.

Anyway, just wondering. Hemingway's not listed on the WTM List, and after reading Wikipedia it seems he isn't the undisputed all-American author my AP English teacher made him out to be. :lol:

Although I am a Hemingway fan, I realize that not everyone enjoys his sparse style.

Instead of assigning any of Hemingway's novels, I chose to have my son read the story Big Two-Hearted River. Many of the Nick Adams stories are set in the woods of Northern Michigan and relate coming of age or WWI experiences. It goes without saying that some parents may wish to pre-read.

My son also read the story Hills Like White Elephants in a composition course that he took at the CC. This is an example of assigned reading that may be out of some parent's comfort zones for younger dual enrollment students as the subject of the story is abortion.

Calvin read For Whom the Bell Tolls. I would have assigned The Old Man and the Sea, but he decided on the other. He didn't enjoy it very much (and I hated the small part that I read aloud to him while his brother buried him in sand at the beach) but struggled through to the end.

Laura

Honestly, I don't like Hemingway, but I found The Old Man and the Sea to be quite a good choice as I do think one should read at least one Hemingway's work and this one is somehow the most tolerable for me to go through and teach. I assign it in upper middle school, though. In high school I might even go with For Whom The Bell Tolls. But if it's the choice of only one, definitely the former.

A Farewell to Arms is a favorite for me. My mother decided to name me Catherine after reading it : )

It's a powerful book because I think he captures intimacy (emotional and other kinds) beautifully in words. But few high school students are capable of appreciating or understanding this. I read it as a high schooler, and certainly I understood the basic plot, but the deeper themes escaped me. So I probbly wouldn't assign A Farewell to Arms, and I'm not as familiar with his other works.

Ugh! I just read The Old Man and the Sea last night and upon finishing, I sat there a little dumbfounded, thinking. . .geez, what a complete waste of my time!

This was my first Hemingway book and I was very disappointed that I invested even that short amount of time on this one. :glare:

I'm glad to see there are some other Hemingway recommendations.

So we could fit in more American authors for our American Lit. last year, we opted for Hemingway's novella, Old Man and the Sea. It went over pretty well here, from the plot standpoint of our two teen boys (old man, big fish, epic 3 day battle to bring it in). And it was fast -- took 1 week. We used the Progeny Press guide and the free online Sparknotes to springboard conversation, though mostly we were discussing worldview ideas on our own. BEST of luck, whatever you decide! Warmly, Lori D.

I really like Hemingway myself. I like his spare style. I read The Old Man and the Sea recently and enjoyed it and I really like Moveable Feast. As to assigning it for reading, my kids are too young now but I'd like them to read some - not sure what age though.

I'll be the odd man out and say that I assign A Farewell to Arms for high school. It is one of my dh's favorite books, and therefore one he can take over discussions on. So, more to give me a little break than because I think it is a better choice than Hemingway's other books. :001_smile:

My 17yo son finished it about a month ago. He liked the writing style, and had some great discussions with his dad, but is too much of a lover-of-life to appreciate the darkness of the story.