Menu

I think I'm getting shingles!

Dawn,

I hope you don't have them. Can you call a pharmacist or health food person to find a temporary treatment.

I found this for you....while shingles can't be "cured", it is treatable to a point. Check out this link.

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/shingles/shingles-treatment-overview

Keep us posted. Will pray for you! Sheryl <><

Call your doctor or go to one of those urgent care places.

"An episode of shingles usually heals on its own within a few weeks, but prompt treatment can ease pain, speed healing and reduce your risk of complications.

Antiviral drugs

For best results, start these medications within 72 hours of the first sign of the shingles rash. Oral antiviral medications include:

* Acyclovir (Zovirax)

* Valacyclovir (Valtrex)

* Famciclovir (Famvir)

Drugs for the pain

Shingles can cause severe pain, so you may need prescription medications for treatment. They may include:

* Narcotics, such as oxycodone

* Tricyclic antidepressants, such as amitriptyline

* Anticonvulsants, such as gabapentin (Neurontin)

* Numbing agents, such as lidocaine, delivered via a cream, gel, spray or skin patch"

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/shingles/DS00098/DSECTION=treatments-and-drugs

Hugs and prayers.

RC

Call your doctor or go to one of those urgent care places.

"An episode of shingles usually heals on its own within a few weeks, but prompt treatment can ease pain, speed healing and reduce your risk of complications.

Antiviral drugs

For best results, start these medications within 72 hours of the first sign of the shingles rash. Oral antiviral medications include:

* Acyclovir (Zovirax)

* Valacyclovir (Valtrex)

* Famciclovir (Famvir)

Drugs for the pain

Shingles can cause severe pain, so you may need prescription medications for treatment. They may include:

* Narcotics, such as oxycodone

* Tricyclic antidepressants, such as amitriptyline

* Anticonvulsants, such as gabapentin (Neurontin)

* Numbing agents, such as lidocaine, delivered via a cream, gel, spray or skin patch"

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/shingles/DS00098/DSECTION=treatments-and-drugs

Hugs and prayers.

RC

Get checked out and treated ASAP! My mom has struggled with this for the better part of a year. Early treatment is key! Also, of course, rest and lowering stress (not easy, I know).

Seriously - call the doc today - don't wait until Monday.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

Get treatment started NOW!!!! It only gets worse and can last a long time. Shingles in the eye can result in blindness.

I had shingles on my face last spring. For me they started with a weird stinging tingle then broke into what looked like cold sores. The pain traveled up my face and to into my scalp all over one side of my head. It was getting worse day by day and only got better once I started on the antivirals. I still have numbness/nerve damage around my temple which is where the worst cluster was. I also have dark areas from the lesions that I hope won't result in permanent scars.

WHEN you go to the doctor make sure to ask him about shingles as a possibility and if he says it is something else consider a second opinion. The first doctor I saw misdiagnosed it as a skin infection, I was certain it wasn't what he said and saw a second doctor the next day because I was fairly certain it was shingles. The second doctor said it was classic shingles and didn't know what the first doctor was thinking.

Please go ASAP!

Dawn, did you go to the doctor? OH I'm praying you did! My dh had it on his face and it went into his eye. He lost his eyesight and needed a corneal transplant. He could've had the anti-viral on our first trip to the ER but the doc there missed it and called it something else. We didn't find out for another week. PLEASE PLEASE GO TO THE DOCTOR!!! :grouphug:

It is taught that if the tip of the nose is involved, the eye is or is about to be. FYI.

I was sooooo very lucky I started the meds when I did. I had 3-4 lesions on my lower eyelid under the eyelashes when I started the meds. The second doctor used a special dye and eye lens-type-tool (I have no idea what it was called) to make sure they hadn't spread to the inside of my eye. I was fortunate and they hadn't. If they had, he was going to prescribe an antiviral eye drop.

Dawn, I really hope if they get close to your eye, that they do this test for you too. I don't know how accurate it is, but for it was.

(The antiviral eyedrops have their own risks, so they don't like for patients to use them unless you have to.)

I just had shingles in October. Yuck! I was told I had a boil but two days later it was shingles.

Here is what I found out. I had a lot of pain but the worst pain was the day when our brand new bathroom sprung a leak in the basement. I knew that shingles could come because of stress but I didn't know that stress would make the pain worse.

I got medicine pretty early so I was only down for about a week. I had some lingering pain for another 2 weeks or so. Sometimes if I'm really hot or stressed I still feel some pain where I had them.

I feel for you :grouphug:

Kelly

I just had shingles in October. Yuck! I was told I had a boil but two days later it was shingles.

Here is what I found out. I had a lot of pain but the worst pain was the day when our brand new bathroom sprung a leak in the basement. I knew that shingles could come because of stress but I didn't know that stress would make the pain worse.

I got medicine pretty early so I was only down for about a week. I had some lingering pain for another 2 weeks or so. Sometimes if I'm really hot or stressed I still feel some pain where I had them.

I feel for you :grouphug:

Kelly

I had shingles when I was pregnant with dd9. I still have residual pain when stressed out. My doc said that it could continue like that for the rest of my life.

I am very glad it was just a stye. I wouldn't wish shingles on anyone.

Okay, I'm really thinking this isn't a stye, but I have no rash. My face stings to touch on my lower cheek, and my eye still stings. I guess I'll make an appt with my primary care physician. ugh

Do you have any bumps in the stinging area at all? I wouldn't call what I had with shingles a rash. It was more like tiny blisters.