Menu

Help! About the stray cat who is visiting....I have questions...

We have noticed a kitty recently hanging around our lane, our property, never coming near. Tonight when we got home, dh called to her, she came to us. She is still young, skinny skinny, and wanted to come inside.

We have noticed that a home in the neighborhood is for sale just this week, the people were moving out the past couple of days...maybe they left her?

Having never had a cat, we have no cat supplies. I asked dh if he would go get some cat food, he said to give her a can of tuna. I gave her half a can. She devoured it.

He said we can keep her (he is usually allergic to cats but thinks since this looks like part Siamese he's not so allergic to them), but right now we can't afford a vet bill (spay, declaw, etc.). When I picked her up, her tummy felt loose, very saggy, and I could feel her teats. Does that mean she has recently birthed?

We have left her outside since we don't "know" her, have no litter box, etc.

Since we've pretty much decided to keep her if she stays, will she stick around if we keep feeding her?

Seriously, I can't afford to get her to the vet yet.

What food do any cat lovers recommend?

Should I put a litter box out for her? We have a covered patio. I put a box out there for her, but of course she wasn't interested in that.

Thanks.:001_smile:

Sounds like you have a new pet! ;)

Don't feed her anymore tuna. It is not good for cats. It can lead to b1 deficiency and that causes big problems. Here is some more info on it:

http://www.connollyac.com/showpracfaq.cfm?FAQID=168&Private=0

My kitties only eat canned Fancy Feast. The vet was very specific. It cannot be any of the 'gravy' or 'grilled' varieties (vet said no gravy at all) and it cannot be any of the 'fish' varieties (linked to crystal probs). We get the 'classic' style and stick with beef, liver, turkey or chicken. I also add about a half can of water and mix. The added fluids are good for my cats that had UTD (urinary tract disorder). We've had problems with UTD and since adhering to these food rules there haven't been anymore probs (or huge vet bills or sad cats).

Whatever you choose, rule of thumb for canned brands: Go for higher meat and less by product and grain.

Avoid dry food if at all possible. Dry food was source of many problems with our cats. We avoid it like the plague now. Canned is more expensive than a bag of dry but believe me, I'd take the expense of canned any day over the whopper vet bill I had over urine crystals in two of our furbabies.

About her belly, she could be pregnant. Females can have babies quite young and if they are stray the odds are pretty good. You might consider taking her to the local humane society to have her checked out. The prices are better and they can also scan her to see if she is microchipped. They can give her any shots she needs and do a worm check (this is very important too).

I'm glad you have taken her in are are caring for her. I bet she will make a great addition to the family. :grouphug:

Just fyi... If she was owned previously, then she may be a good pet. If she was born a stray, then she may come to love you all, but she'll never be fully socialized - as in, she may be primarily a porch cat for you who needs to be outside and never takes to being a fully indoor cat. My understanding is that cats are socialized to humans very young and that if they're not, then they'll never be completely comfortable with people.

Also, in our area, a lot of the strays have feline HIV (it's a completely different disease than the human version and can be transmitted to other cats) or other health issues that can get pricey.

My neighbor has a stray kitty that wandered down her driveway 3 years ago.

They have a porch and in the winter they put a heated cat house out for her to use.

She wanders up and down the street like she doesn't have a care in the world. Her husband is allergic so they never were able to bring her inside.

She waits outside the door to be fed, she follows them if they go walking down the street. She is the nicest cat.

They did pick her up before taking her to the vet and she was covered in fleas. Their house, car, garage all got covered in fleas.

They did take her to the vet to have her spayed (she had one litter of kittens) and be vaccinated. Maybe you can find a pet store that does low cost spaying/neutering.

that's how I got one of the sweetest cats I've ever known. She just showed up at our house. We live in the middle of nowhere, have three BARKING dogs, and she chose our house. I believe she and her brother were dumped down the road and she wandered up here. A woman down the road kept the boy, and the cats look almost identical and have the SAME unique meow. They both turned up at the same time. I'm quite certain they were dumped here.

My cat also had a sagging stomach and teats. I took her to the vet and was told that she was under a year old, or around a year, and just had a litter of kittens. I got a grant from my state. I got her spayed, ALL her shots, and the check-up for $100. I know you don't have the money now but you're going to have to have that cat spayed or else more and more kittens will enter the picture.

I don't have a favorite cat food. I doubt your cat is a stray because she came when she was called and it appears she's friendly. Also, I rescued a stray and she goes outside but never goes too far and comes back daily.

Thank you for taking that cat in!!!

Check on the web for information about low cost spaying in your county. You can also call local shelters and explain that you're willing to give her a home, but need help with the cost of spaying. They may be able to let her get it done through them for a lower cost. The vet could check her out at that time too. I'd also call PetSmart and other chains and see if they have a vet clinic day - their prices are usually pretty low.

We use dry food only. The only problem with dry is if it's poor quality, or if they're not drinking enough water. Keep the water clean - change it often and you should be fine.

I'll bet she'll be an amazing pet! It's wonderful that you're bringing her into your home. :)

What's her name???

They can tell you all about free or low-cost vaccination and spay clinics. We have a clinic in our town once a month--$50 will fully vaccinate AND spay/neuter a cat... some places offer free vouchers...

PLEASE DO NOT DE-CLAW... we had to do that once when we moved and had to relocate to an apartment for a few months... it CRIPPLED our dear kitty!

It is NOT a humane procedure--they literally RIP out the claws causing permanent nerve damage....

I've had several indoor cats--they preferred to claw their cat tower's rope band---I've never had one claw furniture--but we did watch them like a hawk when we first got them to prevent bad habits from forming.

We feed Fancy Feast Classics--very healthy cat. We do set out a bit of dry--but he eats less than 1/4 cup per day if that... he prefers his wet food.

I appreciate all of your responses. :001_smile:

Gotcha on the tuna. Fancy Feast Classic. That should be easy to remember!;)

Declawing would only happen if we bring her in to stay, and maybe not even then.

No matter what, I mean, even if she stays and is an outdoor cat, we will have her spayed!!!

I know there are vets in some areas who spay feral cats for free, but I know she's not feral, just starving.

After things settled down and I looked outside again very late, she was gone, no surprise; but the one fluffier, very skittish cat I had seen a few weeks ago was sitting out there, looking at the door and me, still looking scared. I opened the door and he/she ran. Must have smelled the tuna.

We live away from town, like 7 miles, but there are homes scattered about. There doesn't seem to be much concern on the part of a lot of pet owners about spay/neuter. The humane society is not a no-kill.

Dd said cat doesn't come when you say "c'mere girl, but when you say 'kitty' she comes." Maybe that will be her name, but she does have blue eyes.

We haven't seen her yet today.:confused:

Thank you all again for your sweet stories, experience and suggestions.:)

Just fyi... If she was born a stray, then she may come to love you all, but she'll never be fully socialized - as in, she may be primarily a porch cat for you who needs to be outside and never takes to being a fully indoor cat. My understanding is that cats are socialized to humans very young and that if they're not, then they'll never be completely comfortable with people.

That hasn't been our experience, and we've taken in several feral cats. Most became very friendly and snuggly very quickly, a few of them took a while to get cuddly, but all ended up as lap cats. (Of course, we spoiled them rotten, so that may have been the secret to our success!)

Cat

The most important thing about cat food is that the number one ingredient be MEAT, not meat by product, not infused meat flavor, but MEAT. If you can get one with that for the first two ingredients, awesome. A HUGE bag at walmart will last us a month and is under $15.

Southern agriculture or your local farm supply often has VERY reasonable rates and will be very honest about what things should be top priority and what can wait until you have a bit more funds.

I'd not bring her in house until one, you know if she is heading back to a liter of kits and two, you get a flea/tick check and clean at the least. She could have a liter of kittens very near by without you ever knowing. They are masters at that.

She hasn't come back yet. :001_huh:

We put food out for her at 7, last night she didn't show up until 10:30.

Oh, no. We did not want to let her in until after we have her checked over. I hope someone will lend me a cat crate when the time comes to whisk her off!

That is incredible about your feral cats, Catwoman!

This cat is tiny, and awfully thin.

I found out recently that if a cat is taken in pregnant to be spayed, it will cost extra. Well, that's just a sad thing.

She's a pretty little cat. I found out that the coyotes were in the 'hood last night and I hope they didn't make off with her.

We have eleven kitties right now, and all but 4 were strays. If you feed them, they will come. :)

Just a side note about the tuna, we had a cat when I was a teenager that would not eat anything but tuna with oil. He was perfectly healthy and lived to be 20 years old. He was an inside only cat, so we know he didn't eat anything anywhere else. Not that I can imagine anybody but my mom wanting to feed a cat tuna instead of cat food. ;)

Kitty came back this morning, ate the food, gave her another small can, Fancy Feast Classics. Gave her some little treats. On examination I found a tick, no fleas, and she is definitely a nursing momma! I followed her, she knew I was right there with her. She lives about a half mile away at a house with six 5-week-old kittens! I spoke with a young woman, I think they can't afford to have Kitty spayed. She said it was the cat's third litter. I also think they can't afford to feed kitty. A nursing cat will require more food than usual, I KNOW!

I intend to go back with information on spay clinics in the area, the owner seemed interested.

The kittens all have enormous very blue eyes, just like the mom.

I didn't read all the replies but wanted to respond. Please do not declaw. If there is a chance that this cat might spend any time outdoors, she will need her claws. And keep in mind that some cats prefer the outdoors...at least part of the time. One of mine loves to come in to warm up and sleep, but he still wants out to hunt and roam. (And sometimes the kids are too much for him and he needs a break.)

If you think she might have kittens somewhere, definitely leave her outside for now so she can care for them. If you feed her in the same location every day and leave out a water dish, she will likely keep coming back.

ETA: Oops, just read your last post. If you still want a cat, maybe they would let you adopt a kitten?

. My understanding is that cats are socialized to humans very young and that if they're not, then they'll never be completely comfortable with people.

No - it totally depends on the cat. Many can be socialized to humans at an adult age. Cats are considered adults at 6 months old. I have tamed one feral cat and one mostly feral cat - both were adults when they arrived in our home and are now full time indoor cats. You do have to know what you are doing and be patient, but feral cats make some of the most loving pets. They seem to appreciate what they have more than cats that have always been tame.