Menu

When do you start college visits?

Shelly in VA

Dd is a sophomore this year, and I am wondering when do you start visiting colleges with high school kids?

I did a few visits the summer before my senior year, applied to 3 schools, and picked one. So I wasn't thinking about visits yet, but dd has a friend (also a sophomore) whose parents want to take their daughter to visit some CA schools this year for spring break. They've offered to take my dd along, but the timing won't work for us, not to mention the fact that we are on the east coast and really, financially, a school within driving distance will have to be the choice here! But it made me wonder if I'm behind on this, or if my friends, who live in the very academically competitive McLean, VA area, are over-eager. ;)

Thanks so much!

Shelly

We started college visits in ds's junior year. We visited a couple that are close by in the spring, and then made a big trip in June to visit several others that are far away. It's better, though, if you can visit while classes are in session, so starting in the fall of junior year, if you can, would be good (spring semester classes are often finished by early May, and sometimes mid-April :tongue_smilie:) We didn't have much choice--too many school year commitments made it impossible for us to get away long enough to make our big trip earlier in the year. Most people that we know have started seriously visiting colleges in junior year also, but if you have an opportunity to visit one or more in sophomore year, I would go for it.

In any case, I think it's a good idea to have college visits done and choices narrowed down before the fall of senior year, so your child can focus on the applications at that point.

We started the spring of DS's Junior year. HOWEVER, if I had it to do all over again, I would have started the fall of his Junior year. Also, going in the summer is o.k., but you get a VERY different feel of the campus when the students are there.

It will be very different for each family due to finances, taking time off from work, and transportation to get there.

Just my two cents,

Brenda

How does the answer, "Not soon enough!" fit?

We JUST started this fall with my dd who is a senior. Life circumstances got in the way. We are waaaaay too rushed. I'm thankful that she has a good sense of what she wants and how to get there - so it could be much worse.

Next child - it will be fall of Jr. year. It has been good to get a peek at the college in the fall, when things are starting up - that much I have enjoyed. But a year earlier than senior year - definitely!

My .02

So I wasn't thinking about visits yet, but dd has a friend (also a sophomore) whose parents want to take their daughter to visit some CA schools this year for spring break.

Thanks for asking this! My dd, also a sophomore has a friend making the college visits as well. Friend is also a sophomore. I think part of it with friend is they have lots of money. They are looking farther afield than we could afford.

We began visiting when my son was a freshmen when we'd be on a campus for a swim meet. It just allowed me to show him more schools and the difference between big, state schools and smaller, private schools (where I hoped he'd decide to go).

I think most people go during their junior/senior years, but if you're busy with sports and life in general, it might be a good idea to see some schools that are along the way as you go on vacations, etc.

I think that there are different levels of college visits. My son had discovered Dickinson College in 10th grade when he was doing some Internet searches on a Roman poet. When we were in Pennsylvania visiting some relatives, we made a point of stopping by Dickinson since it was the first college that had ever made it on his radar. Classes were not in session but a student was available to offer us a private tour.

My son's second visit to Dickinson was quite different. He met with a faculty member in the department in which he was interested.

Our family regularly attends cultural events and uses the library at a campus in the UNC system. My son had been on other UNC campuses for sporting events or with 4-H; He had also visited my husband's alma mater, Lehigh. Thus I think he went into the college application process with an idea of what a medium and large school looked like. Students who have not had this exposure might want to start the college tours early in high school. This need not be a formal tour but a glimpse of what a campus is like.

Urban campuses have such a different feel than those in the burbs or small towns. My son, who grew up in a small town, was not necessarily clear on the differences until he visited.

Edited by Jane in NC
clarity

My daughter did one campus visit the summer after her sophomore year. She did two campus visits with interviews the summer after her junior year. In the fall of her senior year, she visited two campuses where she sat in on classes, interviewed, took a tour and stayed overnight on campus. In the spring of her senior year, she attended a scholarship event which involved a tour, interview, attending classes and overnighting in the dorm. She visited two additional campuses later in the spring where she also sat in on classes, interviewed, took a tour and stayed overnight on campus.

If at all possible, I'd recommend more visits in your child's junior year. If your child can sit in on a class or two and stay in the dorm so much the better. A campus definitely gives off a different vibe while it is in session than during vacation time when students are away.

Regards,

Kareni

My son is a 10th grader and I started this year. I thought you had to put down your first choice on the PSAT about where you wanted to go in Oct of your junior year? So basically, you need to know, don't you? That is what is freaking me out, to decide in less than a year where he is going...

Christine

Sushi is a sophomore and we plan to make at least 3 campus visits this year. We would wait until next year, but he has decided to apply to a residential school for 11th and 12th grades, so I want to squeeze in travel as much as we can before he leaves.

We are working visits around family trips. For example, we plan to visit friends near Houston in January for a birthday so it only makes sense to take a tour of Rice while we are in town. Just last month we went camping in Arkansas and took time to visit Hendrix College.

My son is a 10th grader and I started this year. I thought you had to put down your first choice on the PSAT about where you wanted to go in Oct of your junior year? So basically, you need to know, don't you? That is what is freaking me out, to decide in less than a year where he is going...

Christine

No, you don't need to know by October of junior year. If we did, we'd have been toast as we've already changed our minds a few times since then!

You don't need to designate schools until you apply for NMF - for which applications are sent out to those who qualify later. Someone who's been there/done that will need to chip in here, but I think it's in March or April of junior year? It might even be senior year as I know people were asking questions on here recently.

No, you don't need to know by October of junior year. If we did, we'd have been toast as we've already changed our minds a few times since then!

You don't need to designate schools until you apply for NMF - for which applications are sent out to those who qualify later. Someone who's been there/done that will need to chip in here, but I think it's in March or April of junior year? It might even be senior year as I know people were asking questions on here recently.

Kids don't even find out whether they've made the cut for semifinalist till the fall of their senior year. Then they'll receive a National Merit Scholarship application to fill out. There's a spot there to indicate a first choice college, but if they're not sure yet, they can write 'undecided.' The packet includes a postcard they can send in when they finally make up their minds. National Merit suggests that it be sent by March 1st of their *senior* year.

My dd went through all of this last year, and she was one of those who didn't send in the card till the spring of her senior year. She was still awarded a college-sponsored National Merit scholarship, even though she declined it to attend elsewhere.

Here's a link that describes the process in detail.

~Kathy

Kids don't even find out whether they've made the cut for semifinalist till the fall of their senior year. Then they'll receive a National Merit Scholarship application to fill out. There's a spot there to indicate a first choice college, but if they're not sure yet, they can write 'undecided.' The packet includes a postcard they can send in when they finally make up their minds. National Merit suggests that it be sent by March 1st of their *senior* year.

My dd went through all of this last year, and she was one of those who didn't send in the card till the spring of her senior year. She was still awarded a college-sponsored National Merit scholarship, even though she declined it to attend elsewhere.

~Kathy

OH...that makes me feel so much better. But, I remember putting down Baylor as my first choice when I actually took the test, but that was 27 years ago. Things have probably changed.:tongue_smilie:

~Kathy

Thanks! With my guy not getting to 3 of the math questions I'm not even sure it's something he'll qualify for as he tested right near PA's "magic" spot with practice tests (once over, once on, once under). Time will tell.

Fortunately he tested well on the ACT so I'm not terribly worried either way it goes. He's already into the "free tuition" (possibly more) range for his safety and his safety is a great school for his desired major/future. If he makes NMSF, we'll go on with all it entails. If not, we're skipping the SAT altogether. It's so nice having "security!" That said, I'm pretty sure his safety isn't his top choice, so who knows what he'd put??? It's good that they give them time to decide.