Menu

Christmas lists

Do you think having your child(ren) make out Christmas lists encourages greediness in them...even if they understand they won't be getting everything on the list?? This morning, my son picked up the Rainbow Resource Christmas catalog and proceeded to add to his list things he never considered before (and probably wouldn't have, had he not seen it) and we started wondering if that was a bad thing or not...what do you all think???

Do you think having your child(ren) make out Christmas lists encourages greediness in them...even if they understand they won't be getting everything on the list?? This morning, my son picked up the Rainbow Resource Christmas catalog and proceeded to add to his list things he never considered before (and probably wouldn't have, had he not seen it) and we started wondering if that was a bad thing or not...what do you all think???

I don't know...possibly? I know Christmas lists don't work for us. My 6yo just adds anything she sees on a commercial or when walking through a store that looks remotely interesting to her (so, everything, lol). She has no idea how to separate what she really would like to have and actually play with from random shiny stuff that catches her eye.

This year I told her since it's more fun to be surprised, we'd just let people get what they think we'd like. She's totally cool with that. I know the kid well enough to know what she'll actually enjoy, and I give suggestions to the relatives.

I try to listen in for a couple months prior to Christmas... when they mention that their headphones are shot or lost... when a watch band breaks... and start taking notes without them knowing. Then I pass on those notes to the grandparents who like suggestions.

This year they will each get a stocking with goodies that I select that mean something... or are fun or rare...

Then, when it comes to "presents" we might have a couple of family items... a game or two for everyone...

Do you think having your child(ren) make out Christmas lists encourages greediness in them...even if they understand they won't be getting everything on the list??

I think it probably depends on each child plus the rest of your family values & attitudes toward gifts. I don't think it's enough to push an otherwise sensible kid into a greedy attitude.

My dc love looking through the Rainbow catalog, and I have them circle stuff for themselves and for their cousins. That way they're thinking of others too, and I get some good ideas for my nieces & nephews at the same time.

I personally think it did in me. I would pour over the Sear's Idea Book (c'mon over 40 crowd - you know what I'm talking about!) and make a list, then destroy it, then another. With my kids, we totally downplay the whole gift getting side of things. They know there will be gifts. They know to be grateful. They know that we (parents) and other members of the family know and love them and want what's best for them. I don't think I've ever even asked my kids what they would like for Christmas!

Instead we emphasize Christ, the gift from God, and giving of ourselves to others. We emphasize traditions and special times spent together. We focus on the quiet and at the same time, embrace the bustle.

I would pour over the Sear's Idea Book (c'mon over 40 crowd - you know what I'm talking about!)

and 30s ~ i'm 33 and remember sitting with my brother, making our lists from the wish book! :D

doesn't bother me. ds12 doesn't make lists (special needs child) - dd13 does and sometimes hers are outrageous (like having vehicles and puppies on them) but she knows she gets whatever she gets. ;)

I didn't want to change the focus to material items either...the main reason I have done the Christmas list things was as a easier way to turn the focus when my kids got the "I want_____" when we were shopping someplace or when they saw something at a friends house that seems like fun. Maybe that is a cop out...but it worked...that is until Christmas time...now I am facing a list of 20+ items....

I guess it depends. In our house Santa only brings 3 gifts, so that's all Indy asks for. He thinks long and hard about what he really wants before putting it on paper.

I guess I don't really see the harm in it. I remember pouring over the Christmas catalogs when I was younger and making huge lists. I wasn't necessarily greedy, I was just covering my bases. I was happy to get anything off my list. I never expected the whole list.

You know how many adults like to fantasize, sometimes, about what they'd do with the money if they won the lottery?

I think it's kind of like that.

It's one time of the year where they can imagine what it would be like if they had more toys than they knew what to do with, and to do some imaginary shopping picking them out, and then hoping that they get at least some of them.

I can still remember being a kid and a big holiday edition of a Toys R Us catalog or some such coming to our house and my brothers and I sitting on the couch oohing and aahing over it and taking turns picking what we wanted from each page and making our Hanukkah wish lists and so on.

I think it's harmless and fun, especially if they understand they can't really have EVERYTHING on their list.

You know how many adults like to fantasize, sometimes, about what they'd do with the money if they won the lottery?

It's one time of the year where they can imagine what it would be like if they had more toys than they knew what to do with, and to do some imaginary shopping picking them out, and then hoping that they get at least some of them.

I can still remember being a kid and a big holiday edition of a Toys R Us catalog or some such coming to our house and my brothers and I sitting on the couch oohing and aahing over it and taking turns picking what we wanted from each page and making our Hanukkah wish lists and so on.

I think it's harmless and fun, especially if they understand they can't really have EVERYTHING on their list.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

you put that perfectly with the lottery comparison ~ boy have i ever created some crazy long lists in my head as an adult for that. :laugh:

I agree. We used to do that with the Service Merchandise catalog!:001_smile:

My boys have always made lists, but there are usually only 4 or 5 things on them. My 14 year old this year only has one thing on his list, an iPod touch. He understands that that is all he will be getting from us because it is so expensive. (Well, that's not entirely true, I did get him some socks.;))

I did for a while until I changed how we do them. I print out lists that I've made with 8 lines on each one. EIGHT. They can use a pencil and write in things they want. 8 things. If they want to add something and the list is full, better get out the eraser! LOL This has worked REALLY well because 1) it makes the kids think about what they truly want and prioritize, and 2) they already know that not all the things on the list will automatically be purchased. It's just an idea list for mom and dad / Santa!!

I think a dry erase type of list would be cool so that they wouldn't have to destroy the paper with all of their changes, though. :D

(This year our kids haven't even requested them because they understand our financial situation.)

My kids know we are following the little rhyme: Something you want, something you need, something to play with, something to read. They just gave me lists giving thing for each something.

I've used that one in the past except in my case it was: Something you want, something you need, something I want for you, something to read.

:)

Interestingly, DS8 listed "a carrot" for something he needs.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Interestingly, DS8 listed "a carrot" for something he needs.

:lol::lol: Too funny!

Gparents always ask for a list here as well, so I have ds make one, but he is only allowed to put up to 10 items on it (it is for birthday and Chrsitmas since his bday is next week). This year he only had 7 items total. He said it was all he could think of that he wanted.

My sisters and I used to pour over the Sears Wishbook. My grandmother would actually save old wishbooks for visiting grandchildren to peruse. (This same grandmother would give us the house plan from the Sunday paper and the Sears catalog and tell us to decorate the house. She had no toys for us to play with. :))

Each year my sisters and I made lists of the five things we most wanted. My father did not allow longer lists, because he felt that would be greedy. My mother required that one of the items be clothing, complete with sizes and color preferences. We rarely received all five items, but could count on getting clothing and one or two of the other items. My parents shared the lists with interested relatives.