Menu

Laundry question... when you buy new clothes

What is it that you do with them to make sure that the colors won't run when in the wash with other clothes?

I can't believe that this has totally escaped my mind. :001_huh:

Dd has new shirts that are dark blue as well as new dark jeans and I want to make sure that they'll be safe to do with the rest of their laundry in the future. (I don't typically sort the kids' clothes by color- they all get washed together :o)

Not feeling very smart right now... :tongue_smilie:

If it's something new and black that I'm afraid will run, I wash it with other black clothes only the first time or two that it is washed.

(Normally when things aren't new and I know they won't run, I can't be bothered separating my laundry into whites and colors, it all goes in together!)

If it's something that is new and RED, I will probably wash it alone as I wouldn't have enough other red things to do a whole wash of red only, and i certainly wouldn't want my whites turning pink :D

I never seperate colors. I've never had any colors run in the wash.

Yeah like I said I almost never separate colors either...

...except for if it's new and black or new and red...

...because I HAVE had colors run in the wash...

...but that might be because I tend to procrastinate on my laundry and leave it sitting in the machine a bit longer than I should. :blushing:

Wow, I am surprised how many people don't sort colors :001_huh:. I have 3 baskets in my room, whites/mediums/darks, and everyone's laundry goes in those. When one is full, I wash it. This eliminate most color-running worries.

However, if I have something brand-new that looks run-prone (dark denim, red, etc.), I usually fill the sink with water, soak it, ring it out, soak it again, and keep repeating until it no longer runs. Either that, or I just make sure that everything in that particular dark load is really dark (and therefore wouldn't be affected by the running color anyway).

And while I usually wash reds with the rest of the darks, I do periodically do a "red" load, being mostly dd's stuff (red, purple and pink, including her bed sheets). :tongue_smilie:

OK, I might be a big cheater here, but I just toss the item on its own in the washing machine. Of course, I now have a front loader that only uses very minimal water so I am fine on that front.

I also do not -ever- sort my clothes. I have cold wash and fine wash! I do pre-wash or pre-rinse for soiled washes or washes with underwears and then I do a regular wash in cold water with extra rinse. I use Tide Coldwater, btw, and do a few loads every day.