Menu

How do you do it without a sedative?

Denial.

Or a Pollyanna attitude: All is well. All will turn out well. Everything is going to be just fine.

Smile. Smile. Smile.

It's hard. I feel for you.

I honestly don't think I would be in as good a shape as I am in without God. These last few years have been very, very trying. Just when I think I have enough and am dealing with it adequately, here comes another big problem. My current issue is that I can't even get rid of my physical pain because of my blood clots and that makes dealing with other pressures so much harder.

He's not breaking family rules, and he will be leaving in a little over a year for the Marines when he graduates, so we do want to spend this time with him.

It's just nerve-wracking. I just have such a concern for him making good decisions. We talk all the time, but this transition has been hard.

Maybe it's time for him to move out?

He's not breaking family rules, and he will be leaving in a little over a year for the Marines when he graduates, so we do want to spend this time with him.

It's just nerve-wracking. I just have such a concern for him making good decisions. We talk all the time, but this transition has been hard.

My ds and I discussed this last year. We agreed that the process is like a long, painful breakup.

I am only half being serious, but how do you parent college-age adult children living at home and survive without being mildly sedated?

:svengo:

Today, I just feel queasy. :001_unsure:

The same way you care for high-maintenance infants and toddlers without needing uppers just to keep you going? ;)

In other words, I have no idea. :grouphug:

My daughter will be 18 soon. I have decided I will just keep reminding myself that I survived and I didn't always make good decisions. I think bad decisions are part of the maturing process, painful as they are to watch.

That, along with a barrel of wine, should get me through. ;)

I retreat to my bedroom with a good book or movie and tell dd she is not welcome to join me!

Faith (She's a great kid but like all young adults, soooooo smart and mom just doesn't quite always "know" what she's doing anymore! As if I never functioned fully before she became a grown up! LOL plus sneering at the same time.)

:grouphug: Gotcha. I didn't think he was breaking rules or anything. Just wondering if the tension was because he's ready for more independence and to have more adult responsibilities by living separate from his parents. Hope you feel some peace soon.

One thing that helps is when they are out all day!!! My oldest gets up at 6am and leaves at 7:30 every morning and we all stay in bed till she is gone. This way we all have a peaceful morning! Then she is gone till 6 or so each evening. She eats dinner and then goes off to study/yoga/whatever for a few hours. She spends many hours each weekend holed up, studying. But she volunteers at a hospital one afternoon a week, sings in the choir at school, spends time with her sisters and friends (old and new) and makes time for special family occasions so I think that she is balancing things well.

Sometimes the sneering (good word, Faith!!) gets to be too much and I lose it but, so far, she has apologized each time. She is almost always "too busy studying" to go to church but I am not *as* worried as I would be if she were away as I can see that she misses it. She still comes to me/my husband with her problems and is, I think, glad to know we pray for her! And she has become too self-absorbed - her grades, study time, meals, sleep, etc. are more important than anyone elses, kwim? I am praying more about this one as she just doesn't see it!

But other big things - money (so far she is making wise decisions), friends (still in touch with old friends and has made some nice ones at school), plans for the future (sensible and interesting), men (none so far!) - are going well so I am content. If she were away I would not really know what was going on in her life so I am glad that she is still around to hear - and even listen!! - to my counsel.

Next year I will have two at home but in college - that is going to be wild :001_huh: