Menu

Can you see Horrible Histories videos online anywhere?

Halcyon

My sister was busy and told me netflix. I asked her again and she said FIREFOX!:001_huh: I didn't understand what she was talking about and she said that her husband pays for some extra firefox/mozilla service and they watch through that at the BBC. This shed NO light on the subject for me. I guess I can ask her husband when he gets home... Sorry guys, I didn't double-check what she said because my computer is too old and I can't watch netflix on it, so I just took her at her, end of the workday, brain-addled word!!!

Sorry again!

No. They are not on Netflix - not even on the DVD's via the mail. CBBC's video content is blocked for outside the UK. Snippets may appear on Youtube, but not whole episodes in my experience. You can find a couple episodes via torrent sometimes (sorry, yes, I do know how to download illegal content - no one flame me). However, it's not whole seasons - it's some isolated episodes and you'll be lucky to get the torrent to have enough seeds to work. You can buy them on DVD, but only if you have a VCR that will play non-region 1 DVDs. If you're a savvy internet user, there are also ways you can mask your ip address location to make it look like you're in the UK and therefore view it on CBBC's website - but I've never done it - I just have heard it can be done.

In other words... unless some intrepid Brit here wants to illegally upload them for us, I don't think so. But I'm seriously all ears if anyone's got another way.

My sister was busy and told me netflix. I asked her again and she said FIREFOX!:001_huh: I didn't understand what she was talking about and she said that her husband pays for some extra firefox/mozilla service and they watch through that at the BBC. This shed NO light on the subject for me. I guess I can ask her husband when he gets home... Sorry guys, I didn't double-check what she said because my computer is too old and I can't watch netflix on it, so I just took her at her, end of the workday, brain-addled word!!!

Sorry again!

I'm guessing that, as I mentioned in my pp, she has a way to mask her location so that the BBC's blocked content will work for her. If that's what she's doing (and it's possible I'm not understanding it - I'm not hte most savvy computer person ever), it's violates international copyrights. On the other hand, it drives me nuts when the BBC won't sell their stuff here for us to get legally - and with the Horrible Histories, it's obvious they don't really intend to - the show is three seasons in! Ditto the Roman Mysteries. There's a number of CBBC shows I'd like to get my hands on, actually.

On the other hand, it drives me nuts when the BBC won't sell their stuff here for us to get legally - and with the Horrible Histories, it's obvious they don't really intend to - the show is three seasons in! Ditto the Roman Mysteries. There's a number of CBBC shows I'd like to get my hands on, actually.

If they were already available in the US on DVD it might lessen the attractiveness to a US broadcaster. The alternative is to buy a multi-system DVD player and get someone to send you UK DVDs.

Laura

If they were already available in the US on DVD it might lessen the attractiveness to a US broadcaster. The alternative is to buy a multi-system DVD player and get someone to send you UK DVDs.

Laura

True. But if you shop it around for three years and no one is interested... Well, in this day and age, you're practically inviting people to illegally download it. Except that there's not many people uploading children's shows - at least not compared to other stuff.

farrarwilliams,

My bro in law said that he uses this company, and it costs him roughly $3 a quarter. I don't know if you would be streaming through someone's computer in the UK or if that company masks something? I am sadly not computer savvy. I just ordered the first Roman Mysteries book last week, and so am interested in that as well.

debbilong,

I haven't investigated price, but this sounds good to me!

Sorry again for giving false hope, guys!:tongue_smilie:

The set I have is ALL region, but the DVD's are PAL format. Consequently, they will play on computers anywhere in the world, but not on NTSC TVs (the standard in North America). It is called HH: 26 Groovy Episodes and I ordered it from Amazon UK.

What a shame

No, it's good. Anyone, anywhere can see them on a computer, and some are lucy enough to have computers and TV's that will hook up together (I'm sure there's a technical term for that) so they could be seen on the TV as well.

I searched for "horrible histories" and found 26 episodes. But, I have DE Streaming Plus - don't know if that makes any difference...

It must make a difference. I have Discovery Streaming and can not find any of them. Though I may not be looking in the right place! :lol:

• 1 month later...
Fair use in copyright law allows for educational use, so I would have to disagree with you here.
Not entire works, or even substantial amounts of works. You misrepresent (or misunderstand) fair use under copyright.

Sometimes common sense is more important.
Common sense tells me that taking something that isn't mine is stealing, no matter how I may choose to rationalize it. And I say this without being a supporter of DRM or current copyright law in the US. Edited by nmoira

Wikipedia descibes fair use as follows.

"Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship."

Yes, but you left out the nitty gritty:

17 U.S.C. § 107

Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 17 U.S.C. § 106 and 17 U.S.C. § 106A , the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include:

1. the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

2. the nature of the copyrighted work;

3. the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and

4. the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair use if such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors.

Nothing else you said is relevant to the conversation at hand. I have reported your post, and am done with this.

Fair Use - Wikipedia

It is possible to buy the DVDs from Amazon UK or Amazon Germany (see the links at the bottom of the Amazon page). Amazon UK currently has the first season for a reduced price, but I can not find out how much they charge to have it shipped. Amazon Germany refunds the value added tax and charges a flat 14 Euros for shipment to the United States.

But just on the regular Amazon page, you can buy the DVDs from vendors in the UK, who will ship to the U.S. for just a couple of dollars.

Although you can not play these on a television, you can play them on your computer with this free software: VLC . VLC is freeware and allows you to play any region DVD on your computer. It is available for both Mac and PC. I can only testify to the Mac version--it works great, although the first time you load a particular DVD, it might take a while for that DVD to start. But the next time, it starts right up (the program must remember something about each particular DVD). Just be patient when loading a new DVD. And be sure never, ever to click on a menu that asks you to change your computer's region code. If you get that menu, your computer has automatically fired up your regular DVD playing software. Cancel that menu, quit the wrong program, and make sure your machine is only running VLC. You may need to change the preference that sets the default DVD playing software.

Here is the link to download VLC: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Amazon UK currently has the first season for a reduced price, but I can not find out how much they charge to have it shipped. Amazon Germany refunds the value added tax and charges a flat 14 Euros for shipment to the United States.
I recently ordered a single DVD from UK and the shipping from Amazon was just over 3 GBP. Amazon UK also discounts the VAT for orders shipping outside the EU.

CD WOW sometimes has good prices, and the shipping is free.

Although you can not play these on a television, you can play them on your computer with this free software: VLC.
There are two different series of Horrible Histories, the 2001 Australian production, and the 2009/2010 production from the CBBC. I was only aware of the former until recently. The Australian DVDs are region free, and should be playable on any computer and at least some Blu-ray players hooked up to an HD television (NTSC/PAL doesn't apply to HD TV's); however, my Blu-ray player won't play them. This series is animated.

The new series is Region 2, and not playable on standard Region 1 (North American) players. These must be viewed on a computer, as described above. This series is live action.

--------------------------

Australian series, region free:

All 26 Episodes

CBBC series, region 2:

Series 1

Series 2 has not yet been released on DVD in the UK

Edited by nmoira

• 7 months later...

I followed the link NMoira gave to the cartoon version, at

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Horrible-Histories-Groovy-Episodes-DVD/dp/B000ALVTO0/

What are these ones, then, with live actors?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Horrible-Histories-Series-1-DVD/dp/B0035MA5KA/ref=pd_sim_d_h__1

and why did all the UK viewers love the live action ones and pan the cartoons?

I followed the link NMoira gave to the cartoon version, at

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Horrible-Histories-Groovy-Episodes-DVD/dp/B000ALVTO0/

What are these ones, then, with live actors?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Horrible-Histories-Series-1-DVD/dp/B0035MA5KA/ref=pd_sim_d_h__1

and why did all the UK viewers love the live action ones and pan the cartoons?

The second link is the live action series, which is the current series. We've never seen the cartoons. I finally broke down and ordered the DVDs earlier this week because they are so well-loved here. The live action episodes are very clever, they do a lot of parodies of different musical styles, for example Spartan High School Musical is a take on High School Musical, or their "shouty man" skits are like infomercials for different historical products. Ariel loves "shouty man". :lol: Just earlier she was in her room playing and I overheard "Need your chimney cleaned? Get New Victorian Child today!"

Guest submarines

I got all 26 episodes on eBay, new, from UK, and it cost me $28, including shipping. I'm not sure about the format, but it plays on our computers.

Guest submarines
IMO, definitely.

What ages do you think are appropriate? From what I saw on youtube, I wouldn't be letting my DD watch them until she is much older.

What ages do you think are appropriate? From what I saw on youtube, I wouldn't be letting my DD watch them until she is much older.
We've got the first two series of the new CBBC show. There are a few scenes that are too intense for my 7yo (e.g. the corpses of some of Henry VIII's executees being interviewed on a TV show, This is Your Reign, and some of the "Stupid Deaths"), but she tends to be rather sensitive. My 9yo ate it all up... and some of the songs are rather catchy:

Born to Rule

The DVD's are Region 2, but we ripped them and stripped off the region encoding. This will only work if you have an HD TV (PAL vs NTSC issues otherwise). I'm big on honoring copyright, but not so much on region restrictions. :tongue_smilie:

Thanks, ladies. I placed an order with Amazon UK for a few things I'd been wanting and decided to include those.

Would you mind posting back once you get them? It sounds like you will only be able to play these on your computer, right? We have Macs, so I'm wondering if they'd work on those?

Also, does their free shipping actually work to the US? Did you order anything else that's fun and a "must have"? :)

Thanks so much!

Would you mind posting back once you get them? It sounds like you will only be able to play these on your computer, right? We have Macs, so I'm wondering if they'd work on those?

Also, does their free shipping actually work to the US? Did you order anything else that's fun and a "must have"?

It's not an issue unless you watch other region encoded DVD's on your computer (i.e. almost any DVD released in North America). You can usually only change the "region" of your DVD drive five times, and then you are stuck unless you employ a, ahem, third party solution to either fool your hardware or rip the DVD and strip off the region encoding. Some older hardware doesn't have this restriction, but all Intel macs do.

Discovery streaming plus has some of them.

I've found the cartoon ones on DSplus, but can't find the live action. Can someone direct me to them? My daughter adores the books. We just subscribed over the weekend, so I am still learning the ropes on finding content.