Menu

What would you do?

Our house backs up to the backyard of another house in the next cul-de-sac. There is a partial fence separating our yards, but not enclosed. They have a pit bull on a leash. It did get off recently and ran in our yard. It was raining a lot that day, and it wasn't dragging a chain or anything, so it must have slipped out of the collar.

This is the best time of year to play outside here because of the heat and humidity, and it's the only time my dd likes to go out at all. I'm really scared about it. I heard about the 3 day old baby this week that was killed, and an elderly lady from my hometown was killed by her own pit bull sometime back.

Should I go meet these people and talk with them about my concerns? Should I ask if there are times they could put the dog in the garage so I don't have to worry? I have never met them, so I don't know anything about them or what they are like.

We do have leash laws in our neighborhood, but honestly, I don't think the breed should even be allowed to exist, much less allowed in neighborhoods where there are children.

Thanks for any ideas at all.

I would probably just call animal control. I would be terrified if a pitbull was loose in my yard! These people do not have their dog properly contained. A chain is a poor way to contain a dog--it needs a fenced-in area. The animal control officer will visit your neighbor to assess the situation. He will likely carry more weight than a concerned neighbor would.

I've never personally called animal control, but my neighbor has no hesitation and has called a few times because other people's dogs have gotten out and jumped on her kids.

Cinder

I would look in to building a fence yourself. If the dog is generally confined to their property and getting off the leash and into your yard is not a regular event, then I am not sure it is appropriate for you to ask that their dog in their yard be moved to a different location whenever you ask to make you more comfortable.

Sorry, I understand and I would worry too, but I would take the responsibility to do what I needed for my own peace of mind.

If the dog habitually got off the leash and was in your yard, I would definitely call animal control.

ETA: You might also check your city ordinances to see if chained dogs are allowed. Many cities do not considered dogs staked outside unattended to be appropriately "leashed".

I would look in to building a fence yourself. If the dog is generally confined to their property and getting off the leash and into your yard is not a regular event, then I am not sure it is appropriate for you to ask that their dog in their yard be moved to a different location whenever you ask to make you more comfortable.

Sorry, I understand and I would worry too, but I would take the responsibility to do what I needed for my own peace of mind.

If the dog habitually got off the leash and was in your yard, I would definitely call animal control.

ETA: You might also check your city ordinances to see if chained dogs are allowed. Many cities do not considered dogs staked outside unattended to be appropriately "leashed".

Honestly, I'd build the fence and put the cost on a credit card if I had to. I wouldn't trust anyone to keep their dog contained enough for my comfort--I just don't think people care enough if it's not their kid in danger, even if they promised to the moon and back to take care of it. I'd also worry that they'd be the kind of neighbor that, if they felt antagonized at all, would feel free to antagonize back via the dog. And I LIKE pit bulls! I'd feel this way regardless of breed. I was bitten by a German shepherd who was on a leash held by its owner because I was holding a silent baby monitor. You just never know what will set a dog off.

Thanks for the replies. We don't have the money to build a fence right now, but I will check with animal control about the legalities.

Ultimately they are cheaper than emergency room bills, and, I hate to say it, but in the case of pit bulls funeral bills. Maybe you live in Florida because I also read two stories in TODAY'S paper about a baby killed by a pit bull, and also another child being attacked by a neighbor dog.

It's just not something to leave to chance, or even the good intentions of the neighbor. If the dog got loose once, it'll happen again.

Sorry you're in this situation!

Don't wait for this to happen over and over to do something about it. They KNOW it needs to be kept in their own yard. If they don't know they're just not too bright and not to be trusted.

I wouldn't let a young child of mine play in a yard next to a dog like that without it being fenced in. I think you need to put in fencing for the safety of your child.

Keep a journal of these incidents stating date and time of occurrence. Call Animal Control.

Ultimately they are cheaper than emergency room bills, and, I hate to say it, but in the case of pit bulls funeral bills. Maybe you live in Florida because I also read two stories in TODAY'S paper about a baby killed by a pit bull, and also another child being attacked by a neighbor dog.

It's just not something to leave to chance, or even the good intentions of the neighbor. If the dog got loose once, it'll happen again.

Sorry you're in this situation!

Yes, and there is NO point in waiting to call animal control. That's ridiculous. These people own the dog and are not being responsible. It takes ONE time of that dog being loose for their to be an opportunity for someone to be badly injured or even killed. They have already shown that they cannot be trusted with keeping the dog in. :tongue_smilie:

Whats more important, making a good impression on your irresponsible neighbors or the safety of your child ? It's a no brainer.:tongue_smilie:

Edited by Miss Sherry

I know I am new here, and I don't wanna cause any problems, but if she doesn't have it- she doesn't have it. I know that feeling. And we don't have CC at all. So if she's in this situation too, talking about hospital and funeral bills isn't going to help one bit. If anything it's going to make her feel worse, and she's already scared. I would do what you previously planned, and call animal control. They are considered "vicious breeds", and a lot of homeowners/rental insurances won't even insure them. I would bypass the introduction, because IF it should not go as hoped, and then you call animal control they will know it's you. At least this way, it is just "business" and you have your anonymity (I hope).

I would go to talk to the neighbor first, introduce yourself, kindly explain your concerns and see if they are receptive to securring their dog before calling in the authorities.

If you waste time doing that just to make a good impression the next call someone makes could be an ambulance. :tongue_smilie: That's what you do when the neighbors cute puppy or golden retriever gets out. Not a breed that is a known killer. :tongue_smilie: Your children are of MUCH higher priority than doing that.

Thanks for the replies. We don't have the money to build a fence right now, but I will check with animal control about the legalities.

Also find out from them if pits are even allowed in your area. There are towns here where it is illegal to own a pit bull. I know this only because our dog *looks* bullish, even though he isn't - and we've been stopped many a time when out on walks with him from people who were probably considering calling the police on us, lol. We don't walk him there anymore so no one has to worry. :)

Edited by orangearrow

that is going to ask-is that dog a problem as far as agression goes? Does it give you trouble in any way other than the one time it was loose? Would you have the same issues with say-a labrador retriever that got loose one time and came in your yard?

I am very against dogs running at large, being tied out, having irresponsible owners of any kind. I do not have problems with breeds in general. I was an obedience instructor for years and worked as a vet-tech for @5 as well. The worst bites I ever had were by a Scottish Terrier and Miniature poodle. The most agressive dogs I ever saw were beagle lab mixes in the vet clinic to be euthanized for biting a bunch of people and the worst bite victim I ever saw personally was perpetrated by a labrador retriever-and that person came out to fight a breed ban on bully breeds for that reason-profiling breeds doesn't work and would not have saved her her bite. Furthermore-I taught safety around dogs for many years and if you are so freaked out by such dogs-I hope you don't pass that on to the kids. The worst thing anyone can do when they come upon a dog they are scared of is run screaming-and that could elicit chase response from a dog with a high prey drive.

Contact the owners and let them know the dog is not welcome in your yard. Call animal control when it is out. Even the sweetest dog is a danger when running at large-it could cause a car accident or knock someone elderly down. Besides it may save the life of the dog. Make everyone complies with the law-regardless of breed.

Seeing the reports about bites of that breed are not necessarily accurate. Many people identify dogs as that when they are not-I even saw a report on law enforcement mis-identifying them and one of the vets at my old clinic identified Boxers as American Pitt Bull terriers-not real well informed. Many bites are not reported-or don't make the news. In the town I used to live in-there were once 5 dogs quarantined for bites A doberman, a poodle, an Australian Cattle Dog, a Lab mix and a cocker mix I believe. The Doberman was the only one reported and the circumstances of that bite were also not reported. The dog bit when grabbed around the neck from behind by a complete stranger adult-the ear was nearly severed. The Cattle dog was chasing a kid on a bike and nipping, the poodle bit a visitor to the house on the leg I think, the lab mix and the cocker mix I don't remember the circumstances. I saw a study a year ago or so pegging the Weiner dog as the #1 biter in the world and I believe that. If you don't think one can kill a kid-you are mistaken. They were bred and designed to kill badgers. Cocker spaniels are also very high on the list-and when a vet tech-we hated to see them more than any pitt bull-who is very likely to kiss you to death.

Jeanette

Dog lover and owner of a German Shorthaied pointer-most likely mixed with Pitt Bull and a registered Therapy dog for 11 years including working with handicapped kids.

Thanks for all the other thoughts. I may be a "breedist" because I don't think I would be as scared of other breeds. I guess the only news I ever hear of deaths involves pit bulls.

Another thing is that it is the only dog that I know of in our neighborhood that is on a leash all day. The other dogs are in fences. There really aren't that many of those.

We would have to go in debt to build a fence. My dh had a tutoring job after school, but the program is being done away with. He is a school teacher and has been having pay cuts, plus benefit costs rising. We are thankful he has a job, though!

If you waste time doing that just to make a good impression the next call someone makes could be an ambulance. :tongue_smilie: That's what you do when the neighbors cute puppy or golden retriever gets out. Not a breed that is a known killer. :tongue_smilie: Your children are of MUCH higher priority than doing that.

Any breed can kill-and most all have some time or another. Believing just because a dog is a golden or a lab-does not make them free from being dangerous. We had a neighbor golden that was very dominant and would charge me at my own house. You better believe I took on that owner. The neighbor on the other side had 2 American Pitt Bull terriers-sweetest dogs ever. Any dog at large is a potential danger-regardless of breed.

No one said it had to be a beautiful fence. I would talk to the neighbors and see if they will split the cost of a fence with you, even if it is just chain link. Over the years you can add plants next tot he fence to make it look nice, but in the meantime you have a fence.

Or check into just a roll of wire fencing like they sell at Home Depot or Lowe's. Our house backs up to a small canal, and although we split the cost of vinyl fence on the north side of our lot, we couldn't afford to fence the rest of the yard. I really wanted some barrier along the back, especially when my dc were younger, and so we got a 100' roll of wire fencing and some green metal posts for the 80' of yard along the back. I believe it was under $100 (maybe under $150). We just pounded the posts into the ground and hooked the fence onto them - it's not pretty, but it serves as a boundary.

Yes, and there is NO point in waiting to call animal control. That's ridiculous. These people own the dog and are not being responsible. It takes ONE time of that dog being loose for their to be an opportunity for someone to be badly injured or even killed. They have already shown that they cannot be trusted with keeping the dog in. :tongue_smilie:

Whats more important, making a good impression on your irresponsible neighbors or the safety of your child ? It's a no brainer.:tongue_smilie:

reason is irresponsible???? Oh my. I do not believe in dogs running at large. I have a nicely fenced yard and my dog hasn't gotten loose and off the property in a year or more. But to paint a picture that people are irresponsible for a single incident is not accurate. Things happen on occasion. People leave the gate open, a branch falls on the fence, a visitor doesn't shut the door all the way. You do not know these people-or how responsible they are-neither do I. I am going on the op-and there was only one incident listed with no comment that I saw that this was an ongoing problem.

Do I really see WTMers recommending putting a fence - which can cost THOUSANDS - on a credit card???

Wow. I am in shock.

:lol:

To the OP: call animal control. Take your dd to play in a park until the situation is resolved.

Absolutely. In a heartbeat. And it would be a TALL fence, because I wouldn't take the chance that the dog could get over it. I just don't trust people over things like this, and I'll be darned if my kids and I are run out of our own yard because of someone else's laziness. I'd consider it an investment in our home and our children's safety in particular. Of course I'd prefer NOT to do it if it all possible, but if I felt it had to be done and a CC was the only way to accomplish it? Heck yes. And I speak from experience. We have a very large, very loud, very territorial, and very unfriendly German shepherd in the yard behind ours. He goes nuts when the kids go out. I'm grateful for that fence every time I hear him back there growling at every. little. thing.

Thanks for all the other thoughts. I may be a "breedist" because I don't think I would be as scared of other breeds. I guess the only news I ever hear of deaths involves pit bulls.

When doing research to fight a breed ban in my old town-I saw statistics showing most every breed I had ever heard of having fatalities from bite wounds-including a baby and a Yorkshire terrier. Believing any breed is better than another is dangerous and could leave people unprepared in a situation containing another breed. Having been an obedience instructor and vet tech-I have seen dogs with agression problems of most all breeds I had ever seen personally and wonderful members of all those same breeds. Personally, I do not trust any dog I don't know regardless of breed and expect all owners to be responsible (and talk to them personally if they are not) btw-no I can't remember where I got the statistics-it was @12 years ago and again @ 10 years ago.

One way to make your family safer is to teach them what to do in the event of being outside when a dog is loose. AKC has teaching materials. Get on their website and check the education area. You can also contact the most local AKC affiliated club and see if they have a Canine Ambassador. You may be able to have them come out to a homeschool group meeting or something to teach safety. I did this for years-with three good friends-one with a Rottie, one an American Pitt Bull Terrier, one with Belgian Tervuren and myself with my German Shorthaired Pointers (and one maybe a mix) and Dalmatian.;)

Another thing is that it is the only dog that I know of in our neighborhood that is on a leash all day. The other dogs are in fences. There really aren't that many of those.

Not a great way to keep a dog-but while it can lead to social issues-that is not a given. If there is an ordinance against it as a way of confinement-then by all means let the owners know and tell them to check freecycle and craigslist for kennels if they want one-I know some people that have gotten them free and we got ours very inexpensively on craigslist.

We would have to go in debt to build a fence. My dh had a tutoring job after school, but the program is being done away with. He is a school teacher and has been having pay cuts, plus benefit costs rising. We are thankful he has a job, though

You may be able to check Freecycle or Craigslist for fencing too-it need not be beautiful till you can afford nicer-ours was cattle woven wire for years till we could afford vinyl. I have seen rolls of chainlink and sections of wood privacy fence on freecycle-and I live in the boonies.

No one said it had to be a beautiful fence. I would talk to the neighbors and see if they will split the cost of a fence with you, even if it is just chain link. Over the years you can add plants next tot he fence to make it look nice, but in the meantime you have a fence.

Statistically Pits don't bite any more often than other breeds but they do have jaw strength that outdoes most other breeds. What bothers me most is that the neighbors are leaving a dog chained up all day. That is not proper socialization. Improper training and socialization are what lead to tragedy most of the time. This would be a huge issue for me.

Though being dumped in a fenced yard and left there is not proper socialization either. We don't know what the ownerd do when they are home-he may go to the dog park, take classes, or have a house full of frequent guests and the dog is in the house-or none of the above.

While fenced yards are best-they do not make me feel much of any more secure with a problem dog in them. Having had German Shorthaired Pointers that could jump a 5 foot fence without even trying-and climbing a 6 footer easily and having to get very creative to keep them in, I can assure you Fencing is not a for sure safety measure.