Menu

What do you use for copywork?

Paige

My son is finished with his basic cursive book and I would like him to start cursive copywork for practice and maybe help with some grammar too. I like the idea of copying pieces of good children's literature but don't want to write it out myself. Is there a cheap, good resource for cursive copywork? I don't want to print it out from a CD either as my printer is already overworked. I'd like it to be like a spiral notebook that he copies onto his own notebook. I've looked on amazon and rainbow and nothing much came up on Amazon and the choices on rainbow were a little overwhelming with not many personal reviews.

Also, I'd like to pick up something in a similar style for my girls with printing. I was going to have them copy bible verses, but they can't read that level of literature yet and they want to be able to read what they are writing. Are there level-graded copywork books? I'd want a first grade or 2nd grade level for them in print. I don't really care what style of handwriting either of the books use. I don't think it will confuse my kids unless it is wildly different than the D'nealian they have been using.

There are tons of copywork to be purchased on currclick.com and lulu.com. There are some files for free download as well. The big plus about currclick is that it has a PDF preview of most files. lulu has a preview feature too, but it doesn't always show up properly ime.

HTH

i write on a white board in cursive & my daughter copies it. we also use WWE, which has copywork. lastly, we are switching our spelling program, and that involves copywork and dictation too (simply spelling).

ETA, my dd writes in cursive, regardless if the copywork is in print. it is great practice for her. can your son do this yet?

Edited by mytwomonkeys

Guest TheBugsMom

I am using WWE (L1) and FLL (L1) which both have copywork. I am also picking sentences out of our read-alouds that have things in it that we are studying in FLL or is a review.

In the past I have used scripture, Queen's copybook, and passages from books.

Here we use sentences from his Natural Science studies, Literature, Poetry, History and anything else that I think will be useful to remember. Once in a great while we'll even throw in a Math rule. I also have him copy his own words in a letter to his aunt at college in California, and thank you notes. If I run out of ideas (it's our 8th week and so far so good), I have George Washington's Rules of Civility and Living Memory as back-up.

We started last year with WWE, but opted not to do it again this year because we also use FLL and I felt there was too much repetition in the teaching. So. . .getting to your question of copywork, which I believe is a very valuable tool, I pull sentences and passages from our literature books that we have on hand, write it on the whiteboard, then have my 2nd grade dd read it aloud and copy. For example, today's sentence was from The Penderwicks:

The sky was full of low clouds and the air had a damp, deep feeling in it that meant rain after a while.

Since we are covering nouns and structure - once she completed copying, we went over it on the whiteboard by underlining the nouns, discussing the words (adjectives) used to describe them as I marked arrows showing the connection on the whiteboard, and then we closed by noting the use of the comma.

This is the easiest method I've found by far - pick up a book laying around the house, select a befitting sentence or passage depending on what your goal is for the day and go. :)

So, I guess depending on your goals and purpose for copywork - you may or may not find this helpful!

I have a nice copywork/dictation paper that I created in MSWord, that I'd be glad to share if there's a way to attach a file here? In fact, I just redesigned it yesterday and am very happy with it!

Blessings,

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

((¸¸.·´ .·´ -:¦:-Tina ~

-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

http://seasonsoflearning.blogspot.com/

We have always used the King James Bible. We started when dd was 5. I started by picking out verses she could read and understand herself (i.e., Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.) and gradually worked to more difficult verses. You could also do just half a verse if a whole verse is too much. My dd has enjoyed this, and as she has gotten older, I sometimes let her pick her own copywork, or have her read a certain chapter and pick a verse to copy.

Take care,

Suzanne

We started last year with WWE, but opted not to do it again this year because we also use FLL and I felt there was too much repetition in the teaching. So. . .getting to your question of copywork, which I believe is a very valuable tool, I pull sentences and passages from our literature books that we have on hand, write it on the whiteboard, then have my 2nd grade dd read it aloud and copy. For example, today's sentence was from The Penderwicks:

The sky was full of low clouds and the air had a damp, deep feeling in it that meant rain after a while.

Since we are covering nouns and structure - once she completed copying, we went over it on the whiteboard by underlining the nouns, discussing the words (adjectives) used to describe them as I marked arrows showing the connection on the whiteboard, and then we closed by noting the use of the comma.

This is the easiest method I've found by far - pick up a book laying around the house, select a befitting sentence or passage depending on what your goal is for the day and go. :)

So, I guess depending on your goals and purpose for copywork - you may or may not find this helpful!

I have a nice copywork/dictation paper that I created in MSWord, that I'd be glad to share if there's a way to attach a file here? In fact, I just redesigned it yesterday and am very happy with it!

Blessings,

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

((¸¸.·´ .·´ -:¦:-Tina ~

-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

http://seasonsoflearning.blogspot.com/

I would love to see that document Tina. You can email me if you don't mind. nakiaensley @ gmail dot com

Thanks!!

And to answer the op's question: We just started copywork last week, and I have pulled lessons from our history and literature selections along with some poetry. It is working well for us so far. I love Tina's ideas about identifying the nouns, adjectives, parts of speech, etc. I need to incorporate that sort of thing into ours. I just wanted to go easy the first week or two. :001_smile:

I make my own using favourite public domain works (usually from Gutenberg) and fonts from Educational Fontware. We treat it like in a scriptorium, in that whole works are copied. The Just So Stories were a hit, as are stories from the Lang coloured Fairy Books.

• 1 year later...