Menu

Does anyone else ever occasionally get a mad urge...

Oh, I know just what you mean about the paper everywhere! And it doesn't have to be just arts and crafts related.

One of the main things I notice in the difference between homeschooling and outschooling homes is the amount of paper here and there. Honestly, if you could weigh our house it would be thousands of pounds lighter in books and paperwork if we were not schooling. Managing paper - both the necessary and unnecessary pieces of it - consumes too much of my time. It's one part of the process I will not miss when our hsing days are done!

I bought my son sketch books to try to alleviate his love of drawing and the excessive paper that results. It's helped some, but not nearly as much as I thought. His desk is chaos: the top has drawings and lists all over it, and his drawers are full of sketches, paintings, lists, etc. that he just cannot part with. Then, he feels the need to keep EVERY Highlights magazine even if he has completed everything in it. He's a chaotic pack rat!:001_smile:

I often get the urge to outlaw any and everything artistic. I am so tired of buying glue sticks, getting glitter off the floor, wiping paint off the tables, and seeing cut pieces of construction paper all over the floor, I could scream.

But then, I realize that I have two artistic kids and, at least when they are doing art, they aren't fighting! LOL

A couple of years ago I had a problem with the kids wanting to keep every paper they ever touched, and those papers being everywhere! Especially under my feet while walking on the carpet.

I bought them each a giant binder. Anything they want to keep gets hole punched and goes into the binder. Anything I find on the floor, or anywhere else is going in the trash!

It has worked wonderfully.

Not so much that.

But the 'Zen' blogs with photos sans crap fascinate me. Do they not have a partner? A child/ children? Where is the mail, at the very least? Further, where are the 'special collections' of stones, sand, feathers, sea glass, driftwood, shells, snowflake -shaped hole punches... and more?!

Where are the freaking shoes?

Not so much that.

But the 'Zen' blogs with photos sans crap fascinate me. Do they not have a partner? A child/ children? Where is the mail, at the very least? Further, where are the 'special collections' of stones, sand, feathers, sea glass, driftwood, shells, snowflake -shaped hole punches... and more?!

I know, right. :glare: Where are all the Legos??? Where are the Sonlight Readers? Where are the boxes of Snap Circuits? Where are their library books????? :confused::confused::confused: Do they not have a husband who throws his underwear and socks all over the bedroom floor?? Who ARE these people??

I bought my son sketch books to try to alleviate his love of drawing and the excessive paper that results. It's helped some, but not nearly as much as I thought. His desk is chaos: the top has drawings and lists all over it, and his drawers are full of sketches, paintings, lists, etc. that he just cannot part with. Then, he feels the need to keep EVERY Highlights magazine even if he has completed everything in it. He's a chaotic pack rat!:001_smile:

:lol: We tried sketchbooks too, and somehow while it seemed like the ideal solution for the art papers, it somehow didn't work out that way! And it of course didn't even affect the NON art papers...

Not so much that.

Yes, these baffle me also. Maybe if fully half my house was made out of closets, there would be no errant crap.

But probably not. ;)

Now every time I see a picture of an immaculate, clutter-free house I'm going to have the urge to yell "Where are the freaking shoes?!" :lol:

Yeah, and I'm also not sure what I'll do once there aren't piles of books all over the floors in every room, LOL..... who knew that learning was such a messy business?

I often shirk my duties regarding science experiments because of this very thing. I'm trying to be good with chemistry this year but my kitchen is constantly cluttered with stuff that just doesn't belong there, like iron filings, hydrochloric acid, cabbage juice, test tube stands and tons of other parephenalia. My husband got back from a trip on Wednesday night. When he saw a full kitchen sink, he accused me of not doing any dishes while he was away. Truth was, I'd done a full load but we'd dirtied up so many things doing science stuff that I still had more to do, LOL!

I know, right. :glare: Where are all the Legos??? Where are the Sonlight Readers? Where are the boxes of Snap Circuits? Where are their library books????? :confused::confused::confused: Do they not have a husband who throws his underwear and socks all over the bedroom floor?? Who ARE these people??

I am not alone!! :D Thanks!

Around here it's not just the papers, but the SHEET MUSIC! I just made youngest dd dig out the cello corner yet again. I "love" finding the middle parts of concerti and sonatas and symphonies... And trumpet music and trombone music and viola music and violin---NOT!!!! And theory pages and teaching curricula and, and, and. I have BOXES of piano music and files of everything under the sun and every stinking hymnal known to mankind. I have Lutheran and Episcopal and yacky praise songs and every single organ piece ever played in the Nazarene church (came with the previous organ). I have piles of orchestra rep that were in the recycle box but I pulled them out to make paper flowers for the centerpieces for youth orchestra. And oldest dd will be showing up tomorrow with tango music and another Beatles piece arranged for string quartet. ARG!

You have my sympathy!

This made me laugh out loud. We are packing to move house (OH, LOATHESOME JOB!) and the amount of sheet music I have packed already is truly scarey. And there were stray sheets of music from musical works that would probably be lovely if said stray sheet was in its correct cover - but who knows where that cover went? And i still have so much more music to go. I'm sure that we will never have enough time in this lifetime to learn and play all those musical works.

Just relating....that's all!!

My daughter told my husband that the reason the rug is covered in bits of colored construction paper is because she realized that she can construct things from construction paper.

The only thing I can figure is she realized that she does not need me with the directions. She can construct on her own.