Menu

How does one go about learning to sew?

Joann's has sewing classes for beginners, to teach you the basics of using your machine and how to sew a simple project. It was only a couple of hours for one day.

Do you have a manual for your machine? The first thing is to learn how to thread it, how to wind a bobbin and how to thread the bobbin. Oooh, and search for 'how to use sewing machine' on YouTube- they have lots of tutorials, some are much better than others. You can search for 'how to thread sewing machine' but include the brand of yours in the search. Good luck.

One of the best ways to learn to sew is to find a very, very, very patient friend who knows how to sew and have her hold your hand through some easy projects. The big pattern companies like Simplicity and McCalls have easy or beginner (or For Dummies) patterns that you can buy. Anything like an elastic skirt, a jumper dress for a little girl or an apron would be a really good first project. Stay away from anything with sleeves, buttons or zippers till your confidence grows. Or any fabric that is extra stretchy, gauzy or very heavy.

Your first few projects might wind up in the garbage can, but keep with it! Sewing is a satisfying and very rewarding hobby and you only get better with practice.

I also like to hang out on some Sewing Forums and they're great places to glean ideas and knowledge. My favorites are:

Craftster

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?board=390.0

Sewing Mamas

http://www.sewingmamas.com

You get a librarian to teach you. :lol: Actually a true story. One of the librarians at our library holds a quilting class the first Saturday of every month and she started from scratch as if we had never picked up a thread or needle in our lives. We hand-sewed the first quilt and have been machine sewing ever since. Thank you Ms. Elyse!

I got an older machine a year ago and decided to teach myself. I read through the manual thoroughly, to learn how to thread and work the machine itself. Then I read a few basic sewing books. Then I took apart or looked closely at some clothes that I wanted to copy and just went for it. Sewed some easy skirts and pants for the kids out of old sheets and stuff first. I learned by trial and error and I'm sure a class or someone to show me would have been nicer. But those weren't an option. At this point I'm happy with what i can do on my own. I can follow a basic pattern and I can make some things up, etc.

anyway, just to encourage you, you can learn a lot on your own if you are willing to make mistakes. Just don't use expensive fabric :)

Jen

First, you need to learn how to thread your machine. Read your manual or go to a local sewing store if you need more help. Then, go to the library to find sewing books that will explain sewing terms to you and how to choose fabric and needles. Then, start with very easy patterns and very easy fabric. Don't expect things to be pretty the first time and be prepared to rip out as many seams as you sew. Slowly, add difficulty to your patterns or work with more difficult fabric.

That is all you really need to do if you want to learn basic sewing. My mother also hands me down her Sew News magazines which have some great how-to articles.

Good luck. I am currently in the middle of sewing Halloween costumes.

I picked pajamas for my little ones... took one step at a time... went into the fabric stores and asked questions if I got stuck...

And if they didn't turn out "just right", they were slept in!!! Really!

Other "things" to get you going... pillowcases and kids curtains (think simple, get used to reading a pattern and sewing).

I picked pajamas for my little ones... took one step at a time... went into the fabric stores and asked questions if I got stuck...

I ask there, too.

Get out the manual, learn to thread and fill a bobbin, then get some plain cotton, the pins and blue pencil, do dads, and make some lines and start sewing down them. Adjust your machine. Find out what X number on the stitches means...thread tension. Make some button holes (if your machine does that). Practice slow enough to stay on the line, but fast enough the product is smooth. If you have a decent hand, this should not take long.

Pajama pants are a fine place to start. If you get a material your child really likes, they will be more willing to put it to use :)

Personally, for me, (and I am not a frequent or more than a middling sewer) I have had better luck pulling apart something and making a pattern from it or taking those flimsy patterns and making a sturdier one out of grocery bag paper. This may just be me.....but I was a better, happier sewer once I learned that little trick.

(And who am I to talk...my machine went out in the decluttering.)