Menu

jeans

I think I would rather by a swimsuit than a pair of jeans! :tongue_smilie:

I am a small-sized person (2). I used to buy Eddie Bauer Curvy jeans that were perfect, but they have changed the cut on them now, moved the pockets up...something. They look like old lady jeans now and are too baggy. I am fearful of trying to order jeans on-line b/c I always have to try on so many pairs. I have a small waist compared to my behind, so the gap in the back of the waistband is always an issue. Jeans for teens are OUT! While I might be able to pull it off, I don't want to look inappropriate for my age. Besides, jeans for teens are often too straight up and down for me. Just b/c I am small does not mean I am not curvy. And, I do not want to pay an astronomical amount either. Any ideas of where I might look or brands that might work? I tried Dillards on Sunday, and all they had were teen jeans (too tight, not proportioned correctly, etc.) and old lady jeans (often starting at a size 4 and not very stylish, TOO high in the waist, etc.). I am NOT a petite, as I am quite long in the stride even though I am only 5'4 1/2".

Thanks for any and all advice.

I am also a small size yet curvy, and am just under 5'2'', although many petites look just a tad too short on me. I have been getting my jeans at Old Navy. The Sweetheart cut is considered "traditional rise," yet doesn't sit high enough for me to consider them "Mom jeans." The only issue I have had is that I think they do the vanity sizing thing, so you may need to try a few sizes to see what works for you. The nice thing is that they tend to have tons of styles in 0 and 2 on the sale rack at any given time, so I just buy the last season's offerings.

I am also a small size yet curvy, and am just under 5'2'', although many petites look just a tad too short on me. I have been getting my jeans at Old Navy. The Sweetheart cut is considered "traditional rise," yet doesn't sit high enough for me to consider them "Mom jeans." The only issue I have had is that I think they do the vanity sizing thing, so you may need to try a few sizes to see what works for you. The nice thing is that they tend to have tons of styles in 0 and 2 on the sale rack at any given time, so I just buy the last season's offerings.

:iagree: Make sure you try different sizes because ON has wonky sizing.

I've had really good luck with the Sonoma brand at Kohls. You can get them for 20.00 on a sale day (10 if you have Kohl's Cash), and they are modern looking cut without being too young. I can't stand the junior's section- why do all the junior jeans feel like they are sliding down your backside? I wear grandma underwear and I'm sure that everyone does NOT want to see it, LOL!

I'd try Old Navy, too. I have some of their Diva Skinny Jeans. They are cut lower than I like, but I just wear a longer shirt over them and no one knows.

They had another line of skinny jeans (Flirt maybe?) and those looked awful. Those were definitely for the teens only.

I would try to find some with some spandex, that might be more accommodating to a small waist and curves. Have you tried on Not your Daughters Jeans? I have a friend who figures out her size in pricey brands, then goes to ebay to buy. That way you might get quality and a good price.

JJill?

Edited by helena

I have the same problem. All the curvy jeans I have found just sit too low for a mom who has to squat down with her kids! I sometimes have good luck finding things at second hand stores. The styles are usually from a couple of years ago, so everything is not ultra-low-rise or too trendy. You could also find something that almost fits and have it tailored.

I have a small waist compared to my behind, so the gap in the back of the waistband is always an issue. Jeans for teens are OUT! While I might be able to pull it off, I don't want to look inappropriate for my age. Besides, jeans for teens are often too straight up and down for me. Just b/c I am small does not mean I am not curvy. And, I do not want to pay an astronomical amount either. Any ideas of where I might look or brands that might work? I tried Dillards on Sunday, and all they had were teen jeans (too tight, not proportioned correctly, etc.) and old lady jeans (often starting at a size 4 and not very stylish, TOO high in the waist, etc.). I am NOT a petite, as I am quite long in the stride even though I am only 5'4 1/2".

Thanks for any and all advice.

I'm not as small a size as you, but have always had the issue of the big gap in the waistband trying to find jeans that fit my hips, but then had this huge gap in the waist. . .I used to wear Lee jeans with the tapered legs, but as I'm approaching 40 and have put on a little weight, the tapered legs just aren't as flattering on me. I stumbled across some jeans at a thrift store (Levis) and only after getting them home, realized they were men's jeans! I'm not sure why, but Levis 569 fit me great - no gapping in the waist, no really low waistband - and dh really likes them on me, too. So although it seems counterintuitive for men's jeans to fit well in the waist and hips, it might be worth a try.

I buy them at Kohl's online because none of the stores around here carry the size I need, but if you have a local Kohl's, you can return things (and if you get free shipping, you're not out anything).

Have you looked at the new Levi's? They have revamped their women's line in recognition of the different shapes we all com in. They call it Curve ID. There are three different hip/waist/ bottom proportions, Slightly curvy- Demi-Curve - Bold Curve, and all have a variety of Jean styles that match those proportions. http://us.levi.com/shop/index.jsp?clickid=header_women&categoryId=3146849&AB=CMS_Home_CurveID_100410

I am hard to fit for different reasons. Tall, thin thighs, but with hips, and I need a long rise to make them not ride up. I have the best luck at stores like TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Ross, etc. That way I can grab many many brands/styles/sizes all at once, without having to go shopping all over the mall or into different 'branded' sections of a store. I usually have to go shopping for jeans a few times a year, and can't always find anything to fit. I like to have about 5 pair of jeans. The 5 I have now are all different brands...and they are probably different brands from the previous 5 I had. LOl I know I currently have Guess, Will Smith, CK, Eddie Bauer, LEI and another that I don't remember right now.

I am tiny with hips, too. I like GAP 1969 Jeans (the ones with a double-button fly; the pockets on the other ones are too big).

I have typically not had good luck with GAP jeans. And, of course, Old Navy is owned by GAP. But, I do like the price point for both of these places. I will look into the other suggestions as well. Thank you all very much. Now to just find TIME to actually go and look! Maybe after football season is over and all of our tailgating comes to an end!

I promise to report back. I truly appreciate everyone's input. :D

Do you sew? I have the same problem--smaller waist but with hips. I just put a little elastic inside the waistband in the back and it gets rid of the gap--and I don't have to wear a belt!!

I second the Ann Taylor jeans. Those are the ones that fit the best. Of course, right now nothing fits since I still need to lose the rest of my pregnancy weight. But that's another topic for another day. :001_smile:

I go to a place like Ross, TJ Maxx, Steinmart, etc... for jeans since they have so many brands in one place. I also buy at Goodwill type shops since they are already pre-shrunk and I can get several pairs cheaply so if I don't love them I donate them back.

My favorites are Ralph Lauren, I think they are called Lauren, Levis and Anne Taylor. They fit well. My biggest problem is the lover cut that has a gap when you sit or bend.

• 3 weeks later...

Surprisingly the Old Navy jeans work. And, not the Sweetheart cut, but the Diva! I found a size that fits well and doesn't have to be hemmed! Yea! The rise is a bit lower than I like, but not ridiculously so.

Just wanted to follow up to let you all know that I had success!

Thanks again for the advice.

i hate my jeans right now! i have gained 10 pounds and although i can get in my jeans, ...well...it doesn't mean i should! i am a size bigger than my entire closet, so everything just makes me angry. i'm usually a 4 or 6 & they are all uncomfortable and tight right now.

it reminds me of an absolutely fabulous episode. patsy said to eddy, "are those new leggings?" and she replied, "NO!...they're trousers". lol.

I would have never even walked into the store where my favorite jeans are from. I found them at Goodwill & tried them on - they are from American Eagle & I love the fit! I am a curvy size 6 and hate jean shopping too (although definitely not as much as swimsuit shopping!!!!!)

:001_smile: