Menu

Suits for teen boys.

Around here, boys do not wear suits to dances. Shirt, tie, and khakis or dress pants. I think it's a reflection of our more casual culture (although the girls still dress up), and the reality of families avoiding the expense of a suit that really won't be worn very often. Look at an old yearbook or have your son ask his friends what they wear.

Beth

Homecoming here is a tad more casual. Guys typically wear dress slacks or khakis with a dress shirt and tie. I found a great deal on black dress slacks and a matching vest at JCPenne that became an outfit my sons reinvented several times over the years they were in Highschool. After their date picked out her dress, we would shop for a dress shirt and tie that would look great with her choice. Occasionally she/they would be slow to pick out their dress and then we would go with a gray shirt and tie or something similiar.

Have you checked out rental prices? It can be cheaper, and everything is included for the outfit. My son went to a dance last year and needed everything including shoes, belt, tie, socks... By the time we were done, I had spent $250 for an outfit that didn't even include a jacket. He's already grown out of everything but the tie. :glare:

DS wants to go to the homecoming dance with a date. What should he wear? Where should I order from. Any advice and suggestions. TIA

Find out what everyone else is wearing. Ask the GIRLS, as the boys may be clueless. If it's a suit (which is unlikely), ask around to borrow one first, then try the thrifts in your area if they're good, then if he's small enough the boys dept. at Macy's, Penny's, etc. Hopefully, you can get away with kahkis and a sports jacket, so you'll just need the jacket. Again, borrow, then thrift, then Macy's or Penny's.

*Lots* of boys buy new suits for a wedding or whatever, wear them once, then donate when they outgrow. If the thrifts in your area are good, then even when you include the dry cleaning cost, you'll be ahead of things.

We found sport coats at Burlington Coat Factory for about $60. Ds wears them with Dockers, dress shirt, and tie.

Ds often has to wear a suit for speech and debate tournaments. We bought a suit at Men's Wearhouse for about $200. I made sure there was PLENTY of length in the sleeves and cuffs and asked when they altered them that they did not remove any material. That way, when he shot up 2 inches over the summer, I can have them let the hem out and his pants will still fit. (MW does FREE alterations if you purchase from them. Great for growth spurts or for men gaining/losing weight!)

MW doesn't often have sales, but around last Thanksgiving, they had a BOGO sale. You could buy one suit and get another free. Great deal!

We found one for son 13 (who is 6'0'') at Penneys, super cheap. They have a young mens line that is less expensive and also cut slimmer, for the tall, gangly ones line mine :) He wore it to the competition that he needed it for and then voluntarily wore it to a wedding and got nice comments from so many. It'll still fit for the same competition this year. I bought it big enough for a little growth, but not big enough to look like he was in his Dad's suit.

Good luck

We found one for son 13 (who is 6'0'') at Penneys, super cheap. They have a young mens line that is less expensive and also cut slimmer, for the tall, gangly ones line mine :) He wore it to the competition that he needed it for and then voluntarily wore it to a wedding and got nice comments from so many. It'll still fit for the same competition this year. I bought it big enough for a little growth, but not big enough to look like he was in his Dad's suit.

Good luck

He gets annoyed that we buy his clothes in the boys' department, but men's clothing doesn't fit--and the boys' department is definitely cheaper than the men's department.

I bought my DS a suit at JC Penney's a couple of weeks ago. They have a whole suit section.

We stopped at Men's Wearhouse first and they were way too expensive. Interestingly, though, there were 4 or 5 guys there picking up either suits or tuxes (rentals) for homecoming. Guys definitely dress up for homecoming here.

DS wants to go to the homecoming dance with a date. What should he wear? Where should I order from. Any advice and suggestions. TIA

I think my son wore dress pants,a dress shirt with a tie, and dress shoes to a homecoming dance a few years ago. He rented for the prom.

You should have him find out from his date what is expected, and if he needs to match colors to what she is wearing. I don't remember if my son matched colors for any dances except the prom.

I think it varies, depending on location, how formal the attire will be. We live in a relatively small town in SW Washington, which is on the casual side.

My son went to tonight, his first homecoming (he's a freshman).

He wore black dress pants, dress shirt and tie.

Some boys had on suits(tux) and some were dressed like ds, I even seen one boy with jeans and a dress shirt with tie. I was glad ds wasn't the only boy not in a tux. The girls wore formal dresses.