Menu

s/o bike riding

Where should bikes be ridden where no bike lane is provided?  

1. 1. Where should bikes be ridden where no bike lane is provided?

• On the street *with* the flow of traffic
    • On the street *against* the flow of traffic
    • On the sidewalk
    • other

People mentioning lack of sidewalks in the bike riding post as a reason their kids don't ride coupled with some issues our town has been having as it attempts to make itself more bike friendly spurred me to ask a question about the rules of city/ town riding here.

Where should one ride a bike? (Assuming no bike lane is provided.) Why?

Poll coming momentarily.

Thanks.

I think kids should ride on sidewalks, adults on the side of the road (preferably with traffic but always the same side as their kids). Biking is very popular where we are and I can't count the number of kids I have almost hit because they get nervous and wobble when cars pass them.

i voted 'other' ~ because it really depends on what your environment is like, what age your kids are, whether they can ride safely with vehicles, etc etc.

bunch of experienced speeding teen/adult cyclists being careless and flying at me on the sidewalk? DISLIKE.

young kiddos biking along on the sidewalk because they aren't quite ready for the road? not a problem - i'll step aside and make sure they have room to go by.

teens/adults on the sidewalk for safety reasons - being careful and not mowing anyone over? don't mind this at all either...i'll move or stay still while they go around/etc...

there are lots of variables.

example from right now in our lives: dd13 likes to bike around our neighbourhood on the bigger main road... there are 3 choices: sidewalk, road, or trail.

road = there are MANY many cars parked on the sides of the roads, reducing visibility and creating plenty of hazards - you have to bike pretty much in the middle of the road....(and of course, so do the drivers!) ..... sounds weird, but the neighbourhood is overcrowded because there are condos with only one small space per unit, people renting out basements & bedrooms, etc.

trail = pretty, but it winds through the wooded areas and just a few weeks ago my friend came across a bear while walking the trail.

sidewalk = safest option. she knows to give the right of way to anyone on foot and always does.

People should ride on the sidewalk when they are travelling at walking or a slow jogging speed, unless the sidewalk has been specifically banned. A bicyclist travelling this slowly is a hazard on the road, and poses no extraordinary hazard on the sidewalk.

People should ride in the street WITH the flow of traffic if they are travelling quickly, closer to the speed of traffic. In my area it's one of the bike laws to ride with the flow of traffic if you're on the roadway.

JMHO :001_smile:

Bicyclists using the road should always ride with traffic. In Ohio, riding against traffic is illegal.

Check local ordinances regarding riding on sidewalks. Some towns prohibit adults riding on sidewalks. Children under 12, especially those unaccompanied by an adult, should ride on the sidewalk whenever possible. Children just learning to ride should ride on sidewalks.

I just got back from a bike ride with my two big kids and toddler that rides in the trailer. We live in a pretty high traffic area with few bike lanes. In the last year alone three bikers have been hit and killed within a two mile radius of our house. So we definitely stay on the sidewalk unless on a sidestreet or a bike lane is available. I know we should try to stay off the sidewalk, but I'd rather not risk our lives.

Adults= road with traffic

Kids= sidewalks

I like to bike a lot. Well, when not pregnant. When I take the kids, we use the sidewalks. But I'm teaching them how to ride when we do. When I ride by myself, I use the road. It's actually safer for a serious rider, who is aware and knows what they're doing, to ride in the road. Cars are more aware of you when you are in the road. When I've used the sidewalks, I've almost been hit a few times by people pulling out of side streets and not paying attention. That doesn't happen when you're riding in the street. Kids or people just moseying along should stay out of traffic, though.

With traffic.

If we are biking as a family, we avoid busy streets but still bike with the flow of traffic. We prefer to pack the bikes up and head to the city bike trail though.

When the kids are just biking for fun, I tell them to get over to the side of the road and stop if a car is coming (quiet neighborhood streets) that way they don't have to worry about what the person is going to do. If they are at a place where the traffic is picking up, they can ride on the sidewalk. Whatever makes them more comfortable. But again, my kids are 11yo and 8yo so they are ONLY riding bikes in our immediate neighborhood. No commercial streets.

i voted 'other' ~ because it really depends on what your environment is like, what age your kids are, whether they can ride safely with vehicles, etc etc.

bunch of experienced speeding teen/adult cyclists being careless and flying at me on the sidewalk? DISLIKE.

young kiddos biking along on the sidewalk because they aren't quite ready for the road? not a problem - i'll step aside and make sure they have room to go by.

teens/adults on the sidewalk for safety reasons - being careful and not mowing anyone over? don't mind this at all either...i'll move or stay still while they go around/etc...

there are lots of variables.

example from right now in our lives: dd13 likes to bike around our neighbourhood on the bigger main road... there are 3 choices: sidewalk, road, or trail.

road = there are MANY many cars parked on the sides of the roads, reducing visibility and creating plenty of hazards - you have to bike pretty much in the middle of the road....(and of course, so do the drivers!) ..... sounds weird, but the neighbourhood is overcrowded because there are condos with only one small space per unit, people renting out basements & bedrooms, etc.

trail = pretty, but it winds through the wooded areas and just a few weeks ago my friend came across a bear while walking the trail.

sidewalk = safest option. she knows to give the right of way to anyone on foot and always does.

:iagree: I used to live in a university town in England where everybody rode their bikes everywhere. There were some bike lanes, but not everywhere; old narrow streets make it hard to add lanes when you have to accomodate cars and pedestrians as well. I would use the bike lane when there was one. If there was no bike lane I would ride with traffic, always obeying traffic laws and making myself highly visible (reflector vest, lights on in cloudy/rainy dark conditions), fortunately drivers there are used to sharing the road with cyclists. I have also got on the sidewalk at times, especially at rush hour when negociating bridges, but I would always dismount and walk my bike if there were also pedestrians using the bridge.

Where we live, it is against the law to ride on the sidewalks. You are supposed to ride with traffic, obeying all traffic laws (according to the bike safety class my boys took.) However, in areas where there is too many cars (and distracted drivers) for it to be safe, we ride on sidewalks. I plan most of our rides to avoid traffic. Most small kids ride on sidewalks around here. Even though it is technically illegal, most won't get a ticket unless they interfere with people walking on sidewalks (especially in the downtown area of our town, which has quite a bit of pedestrian traffic.

In our state there are rules about how fast the bike is going determining whether it is illegal to ride on the sidewalk. On the road, bikes always go with traffic and obey traffic laws.

Your state is awesome when it comes to biking! My brother is in heaven since he moved out to Denver. I loved seeing cyclists on the highway... It's a true shame the US does not have more safe areas and paths for all those who wish to bike.

Children should be able to ride on sidewalks where it is safer. As an average bike rider I prefer to ride against traffic so that if it looks as thought I may be hit I can see it and at least have a chance of taking evasive action. It you are an expert bike rider then with the traffic flow.

Check local ordinances regarding riding on sidewalks. Some towns prohibit adults riding on sidewalks. Children under 12, especially those unaccompanied by an adult, should ride on the sidewalk whenever possible. Children just learning to ride should ride on sidewalks.

It's that way here, under 16 only on the sidewalks, others will be ticketed if riding a bike on the sidewalk! And it is state law in TN that one must ride WITH the flow of traffic!

Our town has a law against riding on the sidewalk and signs prohibiting doing so are posted in the busier areas.

I would prefer young children ride on the sidewalk but it becomes a moot point in most sections of town because many residential streets don't have sidewalks or some of the older brick sidewalks are covered in grass.