Menu

Please pray for my little Emma

could it be mono?

Several have suggested that. I don't know. Her symptoms are pretty vague. The real thing that bugs me is the neck pain. I'm going to keep my eye on her, and if she doesn't feel better in a few days, or gets worse, I'm taking her back in.

Thank you all for your prayers and support. It means a lot to come here and get so much love. Some of the people in my life are not supportive at all and constantly make me feel like an idiot and a paranoid nutcase. :glare:

oh man! Would we ever get along! I'm also a worry-wart when my kids are sick. I think the worst. And, I'm also scared if they think it's nothing, BUT scared if they think it's something!

I'm so glad to hear that your doc thinks it's just a virus. I saw my brother when he had meningitis and there was NO WAY he could move his head. That's been a comfort to me when my kids have headaches. I can reassure myself that they don't have meningitis because they aren't as sick as Matt was!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: Sounds like she's going to be okay!

oh man! Would we ever get along! I'm also a worry-wart when my kids are sick. I think the worst. And, I'm also scared if they think it's nothing, BUT scared if they think it's something!

I'm so glad to hear that your doc thinks it's just a virus. I saw my brother when he had meningitis and there was NO WAY he could move his head. That's been a comfort to me when my kids have headaches. I can reassure myself that they don't have meningitis because they aren't as sick as Matt was!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: Sounds like she's going to be okay!

With my friend's son who just had meningitis and encephalitis, he never got the severe neck pain and stiffness. And his temp never got over 100 until the seizures started. It's scary to think of how these things can present in such different ways.

With my friend's son who just had meningitis and encephalitis, he never got the severe neck pain and stiffness. And his temp never got over 100 until the seizures started. It's scary to think of how these things can present in such different ways.

Oh geez. Now I'll worry all over again. Ugh. It's always something, isn't it? And, being that you're a nurse . . . well, too much knowledge isn't a good thing sometimes. I'll keep praying for you and Emma. (I have a baby sister named Emma - she's 19 years younger than I am. I have such an awesome association with that name!):grouphug:

Oh geez. Now I'll worry all over again. Ugh. It's always something, isn't it? And, being that you're a nurse . . . well, too much knowledge isn't a good thing sometimes. I'll keep praying for you and Emma. (I have a baby sister named Emma - she's 19 years younger than I am. I have such an awesome association with that name!):grouphug:

Sorry about that! But yes, it is always something. With "G", his mom thought it was nothing because he just had a dull headache for about a week or so, then low grade temp for a couple of days, then nothing. A day or two later, the seizures started. UGH is right!!!!

Sorry about that! But yes, it is always something. With "G", his mom thought it was nothing because he just had a dull headache for about a week or so, then low grade temp for a couple of days, then nothing. A day or two later, the seizures started. UGH is right!!!!

And, my kids tend to get headaches. Dh gets migraines and one of our sons gets abdominal migraines. So, I fully expect that one or more of our children will get migraines. But, until then, when they have a headache, it IS meningitis until proven otherwise! LOL

Your poor friend. That must have been SO scary! I've had two children have seizures. That was scary enough. I can't imagine adding meningitis on top of that.

And, my kids tend to get headaches. Dh gets migraines and one of our sons gets abdominal migraines. So, I fully expect that one or more of our children will get migraines. But, until then, when they have a headache, it IS meningitis until proven otherwise! LOL

Your poor friend. That must have been SO scary! I've had two children have seizures. That was scary enough. I can't imagine adding meningitis on top of that.

My oldest has had three migraines and my middle has had one. :crying: I've had them since I was 8, and I always prayed I wouldn't pass that along to my girls. It's so sad. We were able to determine that Anna's headaches were triggered by caffeine, and since we cut that out, she hasn't had another one.

I can't imagine what I would do if one of mine had a seizure. I would flip my lid, for sure. :(

I know it's hard, but try not to worry. Most docs I know NEVER mess around if they even suspect it's meningitis. I imagine your doc is the same way, and if he truly thought that's what it was...she'd be in the hospital.

How did she do with the neck assessments? If she could move her neck and didn't have the other problems and she's not vomiting....it's probably just a cruddy virus. And, mono is a distinct possibility. It presents all over the spectrum in young kids. Some have fevers, some have neck pain, some have stomaches, headaches, fatigue...you name it. Some have NONE of the above and never even know they have it. My ds didn't even had a sore throat. But he did spike a temp every afternoon for 8 weeks. You can ask your ped for a mono test....some will say "don't bother, because there's nothing we can do for it anyway". I still have them check for spleen enlargement, just in case, even if they don't do the bloodwork, because a ruptured spleen is not a happy complication.

Hang in there!!

Diane W.

married for 22 years

homeschooling 3 kiddos for 16 years

Hoping to encourage you, many viral infections have the same effect as the serious bugs out there...I had viral meningitis 10 years ago, it was horrific, but since it was viral there was nothing they could do besides give me pain medicine, it took 2-3 weeks before I felt better....

Once,my daughter complained of sore throat and had been laying on the couch for 3 days, strep was negative...we were coming home from spending holiday with grandparents....she started SCREAMING about neck pain, we were 2 hours from home and I had no clue what to do..her fever was about 101...but she could not hold her head up and trying to have her lay in my lap to get rest from it was stressful...by the time we finally reached home she had 'passed' out from the pain but seemed to be resting and no fever, she woke up from the pain and we had to take her to the ER...same thing, they just said viral meningitis...nothing they could do....

Typically, with bacterial they will run a ridiculously high fever..105-106....hope this encourages you, we're both better and never had another issue! But it IS painful and knocks you out!

Tara

I was going to ask all of this -- Diane is right on target (as usual). Praying for Emma -- please keep us posted.:grouphug:

Awww, thanks for your kind words. I know what it's like to be a worried Mom and sometimes the docs aren't always very good with the bedside manner and the warm fuzzies part of healthcare. I'm always happy to help if I can. :)

Diane W.

married for 22 years

I know it's hard, but try not to worry. Most docs I know NEVER mess around if they even suspect it's meningitis. I imagine your doc is the same way, and if he truly thought that's what it was...she'd be in the hospital.

How did she do with the neck assessments? If she could move her neck and didn't have the other problems and she's not vomiting....it's probably just a cruddy virus. And, mono is a distinct possibility. It presents all over the spectrum in young kids. Some have fevers, some have neck pain, some have stomaches, headaches, fatigue...you name it. Some have NONE of the above and never even know they have it. My ds didn't even had a sore throat. But he did spike a temp every afternoon for 8 weeks. You can ask your ped for a mono test....some will say "don't bother, because there's nothing we can do for it anyway". I still have them check for spleen enlargement, just in case, even if they don't do the bloodwork, because a ruptured spleen is not a happy complication.

Hang in there!!

Diane W.

married for 22 years

Thank you. I am also positive that this doctor (not our regular ped, but a partner) would definitely not mess around if he thought it was meningitis. As a matter of fact, he is my friend's son's pediatrician, so he just went through this with a patient. As far as her neck, she can move it, but she winces and cries when she does. That's one reason I was thinking strep or an ear infection. You know how ear infections can make their whole neck hurt? Anyway, her neck is not stiff, just really really painful. Her head hurts even to the touch. She is not vomiting or complaining of nausea at all. I gave her some motrin for the pain, and she is sleeping now.

Hoping to encourage you, many viral infections have the same effect as the serious bugs out there...I had viral meningitis 10 years ago, it was horrific, but since it was viral there was nothing they could do besides give me pain medicine, it took 2-3 weeks before I felt better....

Once,my daughter complained of sore throat and had been laying on the couch for 3 days, strep was negative...we were coming home from spending holiday with grandparents....she started SCREAMING about neck pain, we were 2 hours from home and I had no clue what to do..her fever was about 101...but she could not hold her head up and trying to have her lay in my lap to get rest from it was stressful...by the time we finally reached home she had 'passed' out from the pain but seemed to be resting and no fever, she woke up from the pain and we had to take her to the ER...same thing, they just said viral meningitis...nothing they could do....

Typically, with bacterial they will run a ridiculously high fever..105-106....hope this encourages you, we're both better and never had another issue! But it IS painful and knocks you out!

Tara

Thank you for your post. That's what I hate about these things, you just have to wait and see what happens and wait for them to get better or watch them get worse. :(

Do you think it's the flu? That is exactly what I felt like last year when I had h1n1. It felt like there was a noose around my neck--the whole chain of lymph nodes around my neck/collarbone hurt SO bad. They weren't swollen at all, just SO stiff and painful!

I hope your sweet girl feels better soon, whatever it is! :grouphug:

Dd went through this in 5th grade. She had mono after getting run down from strep throat. Hers presented with abdominal pain and nausea plus migraine (don't touch me) headaches. I took her in thinking that it was appendicitis. The first blood test was negative for mono (false finding and apparently that happens somewhat regularly) but given the symptoms, he tested again and that one tripped positive. As it turns out, the abdominal pain and nausea were from the swelling of her spleen. It was so swollen that the doc told us we had to be careful that she didn't fall or was even lightly bumped into because he said the spleen was in danger of rupturing easily. Talk about putting a mamma into hyper over-drive alert mode!

She also did have extreme neck pain though she could move it. The doctor said that a severe case of mono can cause very painful body aches and swelling in the lymph system in the neck and under the armpits which is why she didn't want to move or be moved. She was kept on some serious anti-inflammatory meds until the swelling started to subside and the pain eased.

((HUGS)) I've BTDT...ds, now 13, developed a heart condition at the age of six after a bout with strep throat and he'd been on antibiotics as soon as he was symptomatic. Though he tested negative for Rheumatic fever, he developed all of the classic symptoms while on meds. He's been in the care of a pediatric cardiologist ever since. I spent three years as the neurotic mother who was supposed to encourage exercise to strengthen his heart while constantly taking his pulse during exercise because we couldn't let his heart rate get quite as aerobic as regular children. Ever spend an hour running up and down the soccer field with your nine year old while you grab his wrist every couple of minutes and make him stop playing regardless of what's going on in the game? Boy, it was a good thing it was homeschool soccer league and his coach and the other parents were wonderful! The good news is, he's asymptomatic and if his next check-up goes as well as the last, he'll be released from care.

I know what it is like so just keep posting. Let it spew, that way you won't turn into a quivering, raw nerve.

Faith