Menu

Please pray for my little Emma

My sweet girl is pretty sick. She woke up yesterday with a fever, headache, and neck pain. I took her in for a nurse visit yesterday afternoon (docs were all booked up), and they did a strep test (she is prone to strep) and it was negative including the overnight culture. The nurse was very rude to me yesterday, and I was on the verge of tears so I just walked out of the office to calm myself. I called back later when I had calmed down and told her that I felt like they weren't taking me seriously and that I didn't appreciate being treated like I was an idiot. She was very apologetic so that was good. Anyway, I am taking her back in at 11:15 to see a doctor.

I am not the type of mother to run my kid to the doctor every time they get a little fever, but I am scared about this. There have been 18 cases of meningitis in this area this summer. My good friend's son almost died two weeks ago from encephalitis/meningitis from a mosquito bite (it was lacrosse virus). I am really nervous about the headache and neck pain. She can't stand to move her neck or have me touch her head. Her fever isn't high, just around 100.6. She has no symptoms of a cold. Her lymph nodes are not swollen. She has just being lying around on the couch for two days.

Please say a prayer for us. I'm nervous that they won't do anything, and I'm nervous that they will. Does that make sense?

Be insistent. My niece was dismissed several times with the same symptoms and she ended up collapsing and being rushed to the ER with meningitis. She is still suffering with extreme headaches and pain, but is soldier through because she was almost released from her Fine Arts program for missing too many days. It was touch and go for a while and they had to sedate her (to the level of unconsciousness) with morphine because of the extreme pain.

:grouphug: Prayers for Emma. I would worry too, especially about the neck pain. Is there not a test for meningitis?

Yes there is. A lumbar puncture. That's one part I'm scared of. I've had one, and they are not fun. She will be terrified. She is my anxious child.

Be insistent. My niece was dismissed several times with the same symptoms and she ended up collapsing and being rushed to the ER with meningitis. She is still suffering with extreme headaches and pain, but is soldier through because she was almost released from her Fine Arts program for missing too many days. It was touch and go for a while and they had to sedate her (to the level of unconsciousness) with morphine because of the extreme pain.

I plan to be insistent. I don't think this is just me being paranoid. I'm a nervous nellie for sure with regards to my kids, but I do feel like something is going on. With my friend's son that I mentioned, he had a dull headache for about a week, then ran a low grade temp over the weekend. My friend didn't really think much about it. She just thought it might be virus. On Monday, he suddenly started having severe seizures and had to be rushed to the hospital. He was in the intensive care for over a week. He had severe pain like you describe. It was awful!! He has almost totally recovered already, thank God. But it was a really scary time. And he has to take anti seizure medicine for 4 months. :(

Thank you for sharing your story because it makes me feel better about being worried.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Yes there is. A lumbar puncture. That's one part I'm scared of. I've had one, and they are not fun. She will be terrified. She is my anxious child.

:grouphug: I am so sorry. DD had a spinal tap when she was 3 weeks old due to high fever of unknown origin. They asked me to leave but I refused to leave my little baby (just could not do it!) but it was a terrible procedure. :crying:

:grouphug: I am so sorry. DD had a spinal tap when she was 3 weeks old due to high fever of unknown origin. They asked me to leave but I refused to leave my little baby (just could not do it!) but it was a terrible procedure. :crying:

I am in tears just thinking about it. Of course, I've been crying for two days because of the worry. I don't want her to have to have one for nothing but a virus, but we won't know unless she has one. I do trust the doctor, so I feel confident he will order what is best for her. If not, we will probably end up in the ER.

My sweet girl is pretty sick. She woke up yesterday with a fever, headache, and neck pain. I took her in for a nurse visit yesterday afternoon (docs were all booked up), and they did a strep test (she is prone to strep) and it was negative including the overnight culture. The nurse was very rude to me yesterday, and I was on the verge of tears so I just walked out of the office to calm myself. I called back later when I had calmed down and told her that I felt like they weren't taking me seriously and that I didn't appreciate being treated like I was an idiot. She was very apologetic so that was good. Anyway, I am taking her back in at 11:15 to see a doctor.

I am not the type of mother to run my kid to the doctor every time they get a little fever, but I am scared about this. There have been 18 cases of meningitis in this area this summer. My good friend's son almost died two weeks ago from encephalitis/meningitis from a mosquito bite (it was lacrosse virus). I am really nervous about the headache and neck pain. She can't stand to move her neck or have me touch her head. Her fever isn't high, just around 100.6. She has no symptoms of a cold. Her lymph nodes are not swollen. She has just being lying around on the couch for two days.

Please say a prayer for us. I'm nervous that they won't do anything, and I'm nervous that they will. Does that make sense?

You might also want to have them check her for mono (both the quick mono spot test and also the blood test since the spot test sometimes gives false negatives). My kids (and I) all had mono in August/September and it began with lethargy, an excruciating headache and neck/general body aches.

Praying for your sweet little girl. I hope you get some answers at the doctor's office today and that she's on the mend quickly!

praying_for_you_religious.gif

Nakia, has she been vomiting at all? Is she sensitive to light? Is she experiencing any confusion or befuddlement? As far as neck pain goes, can she lie flat and lift her chin to her chest? When she is flat on her back and bends her neck forward, does she bring her knees up towards her body? Also, when she is flat on her back, does she have a hard time straightening her lower legs after her hips have been flexed to 90 degrees? These are all signs a ped will look for when trying to diagnose a child with meningitis. Most of them, you can assess on your own. Height of fever isn't necessarily correlated with the disease. You can have a somewhat low-grade fever with meningitis....kids do their own thing. A combo of headache, nausea and vomiting and neck stiffness would be the classic markers. And, as you know, an ordinary virus can present in the same way. The neck tests should help you determine what it is though. They're pretty accurate most of the time. If she doesn't pass those....the doc will most likely order the puncture. Nasty, but necessary if it's meningitis....then they can treat her properly.

Good luck and update when you can.

Praying.

Diane W.

married for 22 years

homeschooling 3 kiddos for 16 years

yes, this makes sense. As her mother and advocate, INSIST they do testing. I know you're nervous about the results, or the tests themselves, but this needs to happen!!!:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Nakia, has she been vomiting at all? Is she sensitive to light? Is she experiencing any confusion or befuddlement? As far as neck pain goes, can she lie flat and lift her chin to her chest? When she is flat on her back and bends her neck forward, does she bring her knees up towards her body? Also, when she is flat on her back, does she have a hard time straightening her lower legs after her hips have been flexed to 90 degrees? These are all signs a ped will look for when trying to diagnose a child with meningitis. Most of them, you can assess on your own. Height of fever isn't necessarily correlated with the disease. You can have a somewhat low-grade fever with meningitis....kids do their own thing. A combo of headache, nausea and vomiting and neck stiffness would be the classic markers. And, as you know, an ordinary virus can present in the same way. The neck tests should help you determine what it is though. They're pretty accurate most of the time. If she doesn't pass those....the doc will most likely order the puncture. Nasty, but necessary if it's meningitis....then they can treat her properly.

Good luck and update when you can.

Praying.

Diane W.

married for 22 years

homeschooling 3 kiddos for 16 years

I was going to ask all of this -- Diane is right on target (as usual). Praying for Emma -- please keep us posted.:grouphug:

Praying for you both, and for wisdom for the doc. Maybe you have a diagnosis by now.

My dd6 had Lyme disease last year and the presentation was very similar to what you're seeing. The antibiotics helped within 24hrs.

I do hope you get answers and that your precious girl feels better SOON.:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Praying for you both, and for wisdom for the doc. Maybe you have a diagnosis by now.

My dd6 had Lyme disease last year and the presentation was very similar to what you're seeing. The antibiotics helped within 24hrs.

I do hope you get answers and that your precious girl feels better SOON.:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

:iagree: These were my exact symptoms when I had Lyme (2 weeks before any rash or test results came). Lyme can also go into meningitis, but mine did not, even though the symptoms were very similar. Is there any chance she could have that?

Thank you all for your prayers and good thoughts. For now, the doctor is thinking a simple virus. The biggest problem is that I am a nurse, and I over think everything and worry about my kids. Her temp was 101.3 when we got there, so still not that high. The doctor did a thorough assessment and really does not think she has meningitis. BTW, Diane, I had done all the things you recommended before I took her as well. She is having a lot of neck pain, but she can still move it in all directions without stiffness. She just feels like crap and has a bad headache and fever. Definitely sounds like a virus, but with the potential to be something more, just not sure. I guess, like with most things, this is a waiting game. I fully realize they cannot send every kid with vague symptoms for blood work and and LP. And I don't want any of those things done to her if they are not needed. Of course, I started crying in the office, and the doctor was really really sweet with me. On one hand, I'm aggravated with the doctor, but OTOH what he said makes complete sense. I do trust him, but I'm still worried. I would much rather take the more conservative approach, but I'm still scared about what could happen next. If her fever continues to go up or her symptoms worsen, I'm just going to take her to the ER, where I know they will do a complete work-up.

Again, thanks for the prayers.

Thank you all for your prayers and good thoughts. For now, the doctor is thinking a simple virus. The biggest problem is that I am a nurse, and I over think everything and worry about my kids. Her temp was 101.3 when we got there, so still not that high. The doctor did a thorough assessment and really does not think she has meningitis. BTW, Diane, I had done all the things you recommended before I took her as well. She is having a lot of neck pain, but she can still move it in all directions without stiffness. She just feels like crap and has a bad headache and fever. Definitely sounds like a virus, but with the potential to be something more, just not sure. I guess, like with most things, this is a waiting game. I fully realize they cannot send every kid with vague symptoms for blood work and and LP. And I don't want any of those things done to her if they are not needed. Of course, I started crying in the office, and the doctor was really really sweet with me. On one hand, I'm aggravated with the doctor, but OTOH what he said makes complete sense. I do trust him, but I'm still worried. I would much rather take the more conservative approach, but I'm still scared about what could happen next. If her fever continues to go up or her symptoms worsen, I'm just going to take her to the ER, where I know they will do a complete work-up.

Again, thanks for the prayers.

:grouphug: