Menu

SM users---Need something for math fact drills.

mystika1

Hi,

I am currently using SM and love it but will need to drill math facts (without flash cards). I was thinking of buying R&S Math and using it in the afternoons for math drill. Would that be overkill? I really don't mind using 2 math programs as I find math fun.(well kinda-:)my dd is 7) Is there something else that would be better? I tried the rainbow rock cd game but my dd can spot a learning game very easily and boycott it so for us it is just easier to use a workbook or textbook.

Thanks,

Penny

We just purchased 9's down http://www.mathonthelevel.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=33&Itemid=37 from Math on the Level; a suggestion from someone on these boards. I realized my kids had some holes in their math facts memorization. I purchased addition, subtraction, multiplication and division and we are going through it systematically. It's a very easy to implement program and the kids are really enjoying it!

At our house we use flashcards, wrap-ups, and the games from the Singapore Math Home Instructor's Guides. My kids love using the number cards and dice (I have ten-sided dice and we pretend the zero is a ten). I just have them sort out Uno cards instead of face cards.

I have also used timed drills--some from other "failed" curriculum still on our shelf, and some free online, but my kids don't really like the timed drill.

We also do skip counting for multiplication and division, often while doing some other activity like washing the dishes. My daughter reports that her sixth grade teacher would time them skip counting and determine a winner. This could motivate a competitive child.

How about Calculadders?

Heather

:iagree: Also, Horizons has you have your dc count by numbers (all the numbers- by 1's, 2's, 3's, 4's, 5's, 6's, 7's, 8's, 9's, 10's, 11's, and 12's but not in that order, they do the logical order, 1, 2, 10, 5 and so on) Then after my dd gets good at that I start by saying 8x1 is.. 8x2 is all the way up to 8x12. (and the opposite so she gets used to that way also, 8x6 is, 6x8 is) Then when she gets that down good I start mixing them up. We do this every day before our math lesson and it works wonders! That will also work for addition, subtraction and division also!

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

Our tried & true winners for SM drill:

+ Triangle flash cards (really, these are great for SM)

+ Wrap Its (These both lend themselves very naturally to the categories that SM uses. . . Pricey but worth it, IMHO)

Also helpful for variety:

+ Peggy Kaye's Math Games (book)

+ Calculadder (not our fave)

+ random mom-created or freebie internet worksheets

Also, we use Miquon alongside SM, which does reduce the need for drill since they get fact practice in Miquon. . .

(FWIW, I have 2 SM graduates & my 3rd in in PM4, so done with drill. . . so we've BTDT!)

I am using Fact Car Rally Race Math Fact Quiz and Practice Program along with Singapore. It may not be a girl's top choice, but my boys sure enjoy it. It covers addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It is a program where your child designs a car and that car moves to new stations around the room as your child masters math facts. I add sticker incentives to moving on to the next station as well. I'm amazed at what motivation a child can find in a sticker.