Menu

Oh, Rosie............

Rosie! How can you NOT like pumpkin pie!?! That's nearly un-American!

Oh, yeah....hee hee....

:lol: Good one. (Rosie has a sense of humor, so we can tease her a bit, righto Mate?)

Rosie, not to get off-track with the pumpkin pie thing, but do Australians REALLY go around saying "G'day, Mate?" Really? :bigear: I'll probably never get down under, so you're my source of information on all things Aussie. :D

Rosie, not to get off-track with the pumpkin pie thing, but do Australians REALLY go around saying "G'day, Mate?" Really? :bigear: I'll probably never get down under, so you're my source of information on all things Aussie. :D

My son's coach at soccer camp was from England, and said "Mate" all the time.

Krista

I completely respect your right to eat disgusting food and wish you joy in the experience.

:lol:

Rosie

Well you know you are violating the number one food rule in any house that contains children. Don't say yuck until you tried at least 1 bite. And we all know that the bite of "pumpkin pie" you ate wasn't really pumpkin pie so you really can't diss it yet. :001_smile:

:lol: Good one. (Rosie has a sense of humor, so we can tease her a bit, righto Mate?)

Well, yes, it is quite common actually, especially in some social demographs- its probably a more working class thing, but its common out in the country. In fact, I think my dh says it sometimes. And now that I think about it its quite common on the phone to hear someone say that. It's a way of being friendly - g'day mate. Blokes (that's guys) often say it to each other- its not generallysaid to women, although perhaps it is in some areas and some women would consider it fine. It's more of a blokey thing, though. I noticed my ds14 has started saying it more now that he is working with other guys in a reticulation business.

As for pumpkin Pie, I am on Rosie's side on this one. I can eat it. Its called gramma pie here. But you would have to add an awful lot of sugar to make it taste ok, and I don't like to eat sugar...so why bother? If you have to add that much sugar to make something taste reasonable, well, I would rather eat.....a lot of other things.

I do remember eating it as a child though- my granma made it. It was ok. Not something to rave about.

I have to agree with Peela and Rosie: the words "pumpkin" and "pie" should never be used together. I have tried and tried and tried to like it... Some American friends have nearly given themselves a nervous breakdown trying to make the perfect pie to convert me but it's not working :tongue_smilie:

And to stir the pot further, I don't understand how anyone can like that sweet potato and marshmallow casserole. The first time I heard about it I thought they were having me on :lol: And then they made it for me :ack2::ack2::ack2:

(...running for cover now :D )

You guys are funny :D

In my part of the country, only the Italians say it naturally. Everyone else saying "G'day, Mate" is putting it on. Dh only says that when he's feeling uncomfortable and trying to hide behind an ocker facade. He shouldn't. He really can't pull it off, the poor, geeky fella :)

I have to agree with Lucy. Sweet potato casserole can be edible, but never with marshmallows. That is not food. And while I retain the pure state of not having eaten a proper pumpkin pie (and shall while I can continue to avoid Keptwoman) I can easily imagine what it is like. That stuff I made last week made into a custard cannot be good. I have made custard from scratch, and it really cannot be good. Pumpkin is for soup or roasting, and may even be added to cakes, scones and fritters, but sugary pumpkin custard was not thought up by anyone with proper respect towards food!

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

Well I say G'Day all the time. It is the way I greet nearly everyone. it is pretty normal where I live.

I think there is a difference between "G'day" and "G'day Mate." I'll say "G'day" sometimes, but I don't say "G'day Mate." That would be too Crocodile Dundee. :tongue_smilie:

Rosie

I think there is a difference between "G'day" and "G'day Mate." I'll say "G'day" sometimes, but I don't say "G'day Mate." That would be too Crocodile Dundee. :tongue_smilie:

Rosie

Lol, must be a WA thing! We always were a little backward over here.

I have to agree with Lucy. Sweet potato casserole can be edible, but never with marshmallows. That is not food. And while I retain the pure state of not having eaten a proper pumpkin pie (and shall while I can continue to avoid Keptwoman) I can easily imagine what it is like. That stuff I made last week made into a custard cannot be good. I have made custard from scratch, and it really cannot be good. Pumpkin is for soup or roasting, and may even be added to cakes, scones and fritters, but sugary pumpkin custard was not thought up by anyone with proper respect towards food!

Rosie

So maybe you want to stop by to try some of the pumpkin spice cake (with caramel frosting) or pumpkin cookies my kids have been devouring?:D DD dropped a pumpkin I was planning on saving, and I had to use it right away, so we are a bit overwhelmed with pumpkin right now. I can't eat any of the stuff I made since it has wheat in it, but I'll probably get around to making both pumpkin custard and pumpkin soup when I crack open the next one.

Mwahahahahaaaaaaaaaaa. What was your location again??

Top, right corner: Your backyard, Babe :D

So maybe you want to stop by to try some of the pumpkin spice cake (with caramel frosting) or pumpkin cookies my kids have been devouring?:D

Sure, why not? Oh, uh, well your kids will probably have moved out by the time I can afford a ticket to PA. Bummer.

:)

Rosie