Menu

I have a tough homework assignment!

re: gender confusion

My major is Early Childhood Education. I have a project to write a paper and do a powerpoint on dealing with a certain scenario. Maybe someone can throw out some suggestions, if you can get past the craziness of the assignment. :)

The first line of the instructions: "This assignment is designed to expose students to a variety of multicultural and diversity issues common to a teaching and learning environment."

So... the scenario is that I have a boy in my kindergarten class who plays in the kitchen area, calls himself the mommy, calls the baby dolls his babies, and tells the other kids that he feels like a girl and plans to grow up, marry one of the boys in the class, and have babies with him. The other kids tell him he can't do that and he isn't a girl. He cries. His parents are upset with the situation as are the parents of the other children.

Um.. would a teacher really be the one to create a plan of action and implement it to get to a resolution? Wow! My first thought was that this child should be seeing a counselor. My second thought was that he is probably just role-playing the role that has meant a lot in his life, that of his mom. Anyway, I'm not sure how to approach it. I need to start by finding 5 resources/materials that I can use to help me resolve the issue.

I found a website that talks about gender role confusion in children. It has a few suggestions, but really suggests having the child talk to a doctor. I don't think that can be part of my project resolution because I think I'm supposed to be focusing on what I'm doing in my classroom. But here is what I've come up with so far:

1. ask for a meeting with me, the parents, the principal, and a school counselor.

2. tell the boy he can't tell the other kids he is a girl because it upsets them

3. plan a lesson for the whole class on family roles showing both moms and dads work jobs and care for children

What kind of resources should I look for? What a strange assignment!!

First thought was that playing in the kitchen area isn't strange for young boys, and neither is calling dolls his babies. It also isn't necessarily strange for young children to pretend to be the mommy or daddy regardless of their gender. What would be unusual is saying that he's going to marry a boy in the class and have babies with him.

Since they are classifying this as a diversity issue I would assume that they are saying that the boy is gay. And again I would assume that the idea would be calming the parents and telling them that it's ok and to accept Johnny as he is. And again, I would assume that the idea would be to then read some books on different family make-ups to the children so that they would know that they should accept Johnny as he is. (This is how I got through college with high honors - figuring out what the teachers want. You would want to read your assignment again to see if it makes sense that this is what they want. And then decide if you want to follow that track or not.)

Since they are classifying this as a diversity issue I would assume that they are saying that the boy is gay.
I would assume they're saying he may be transgendered, but this is a very complicated issue. Given only that information, I wouldn't make that assumption IRL.

1. ask for a meeting with me, the parents, the principal, and a school counselor.

2. tell the boy he can't tell the other kids he is a girl because it upsets them

3. plan a lesson for the whole class on family roles showing both moms and dads work jobs and care for children

If the child is transgendered, #2 could cause significant anxiety. You'd need more information from the parents, namely: is the child consistently (not necessarily exclusively) identifying as a girl? If so, and if he continues to do so publicly, the family needs to see a trans-friendly counselor. This wouldn't mean he was transgendered; however, it's a possibility, and one that's beyond a teacher's capabilities to deal with unaided.

Here is a web page specifically for teachers: Transkids and Wikipedia has a decent overview.

If this is something he was just doing during this part of class, I'd still be hesitant to tell him he couldn't. Would you stop a girl from pretending to be a male knight?

I'm having trouble figuring out why all the parents are upset... does it give more specific information in the assignment?

Edited by nmoira
grammar

First thought was that playing in the kitchen area isn't strange for young boys, and neither is calling dolls his babies. It also isn't necessarily strange for young children to pretend to be the mommy or daddy regardless of their gender. What would be unusual is saying that he's going to marry a boy in the class and have babies with him.

I don't even find that particularly unusual, it takes children a while to work out how it works, that it's not ok to marry your own mother/father/brother/sister etc. After C worked out we were all a no-go, his best friend was next on his list. Kids want to see themselves with people they love.

I guess I don't see much wrong with the situation at all, and like nmoira, I can't work out why all the parents are upset.

I'm assuming that the assignment assumes some kind of gender issue with the kid, but I hope they've spelt it out for you, because it's not particularly obvious from the outline you've given. eta: oops, I see he describes himself as "feeling like a girl" so there you go, transgender issues.

I don't even find that particularly unusual, it takes children a while to work out how it works, that it's not ok to marry your own mother/father/brother/sister etc. After C worked out we were all a no-go, his best friend was next on his list. Kids want to see themselves with people they love.

I guess I don't see much wrong with the situation at all, and like nmoira, I can't work out why all the parents are upset.

I'm assuming that the assignment assumes some kind of gender issue with the kid, but I hope they've spelt it out for you, because it's not particularly obvious from the outline you've given. eta: oops, I see he describes himself as "feeling like a girl" so there you go, transgender issues.

I agree that in real life, I wouldn't see anything unusual in it. And yes, as the two of you pointed out, "feeling like a girl" would point to transgender issues.

Because there are no specific instructions other than to assess the given scenario, create a plan of action, and present a resolution using 5 resources, I believe it's up to me to interpret the situation on my own. I don't think the teacher is going to give me any other information. He probably wants to see what I'll make of it.

I did paraphrase the scenario, but those are all the important points. The last sentence is, "David is often in tears because of this [kids telling him he can't marry another boy ], and this also leads to class disruption by the children and great concerns by David's parents and the parents of the other students."

I'm guessing the other parents are upset because of the gay or transgender issue. But also, the child is 6 years old. Maybe they are upset that their children are being exposed to such a touchy subject at this age?

I don't know what is truly appropriate for the classroom. That is where I'm getting hung up.

Based on what I'm reading, I agree it sounds like a transgender issue. I think the key point is that he cries when the kids tell him he can't marry another boy. That seems to make the issue deeply emotional within him, which seems outside the bounds of simple role-playing.

I'm going to have to assume it's okay to talk about these issues in the classroom. Of the 5 resources I need, I guess I should find materials that talk about what transgender means, how some kids feel about it in school, and some books I can use in a lesson to the rest of the class.

Any other comments or suggestions?

My first thought is that that behavior isn't all that odd. All sorts of boys can and do play with the home center items. And it should be viewed as a good thing! Only a few parents are weird about such things and I find them funny. I had a parent come into the preschool classroom and ask about his kid who was playing in the home center. He was "unsure." I thought that odd as HE was the one picking his kid up and would be the one taking care of him the next couple hours til mom got home! Anyway, but all sorts of boys talk about being mommies and such. I wouldn't worry about that. Not conforming when the other kids confront him is a little different, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing either.

Of course, the assignment is assuming he really is going to end up gay or transgender or something. But I think it's dumb for people to make those assumptions about a 5yo. And I think it's probably a bad idea to react strongly in any direction. It amazes me when I see people do so to even the slightest little thing (or what I've seen on a documentary).

Anyway, of course, you have to be careful in regards to what you respond and you WILL have to respond (the other children should not be allowed to bully him because he won't conform); but though I would probably be a little more detailed in a paper, obviously, I would blow over most of it. Discussing being respectful, how things often work in this world, etc would be appropriate. Not judging in case he really will go that direction is what they want to see in the project. And then you have the parents. If I got more than one or two inquiries, I'd simply send home a brief note explaining the situation and what is expected in the classroom. I would be VERY professional and not take ANY side.

I have my own beliefs about such things and many other topics from Southern Baptist to Evolution to Creationism to Military to Gays to whatever....My personal belief, which I believe helps CONSIDERABLY in a classroom situation, is that EVERY person eventually makes their own choices in regards to who they are, what they are, what they do, how they live, etc. I believe those choices are theirs alone to make. I believe they have the god-given right to do as they please. There ARE consequences, positive and negative, to each. The classroom isn't the place to even encourage people to consider my beliefs, much less force them to live by them or pretend to live by them.

Edited by 2J5M9K

I don't know what is truly appropriate for the classroom. That is where I'm getting hung up.

More background:

A Boy's Life

Pennsylvania Parents Object To Kid Counseling Over Transgender Third Grader

Websites relating to transgender issues (for teachers) This is a PDF file.

Sorry I do not have time to read all of the other posts, so I apologize if I am repeating what has already been said.

Why not create a lesson plan where the kids come up with roles they see in every day life . The kids define the roles, play the roles, then switch roles. For example, kids may assume that all garbage collectors are men of color. Why not girls? I think it would be an excellent opportunity to look at roles in society and the assumptions made about those roles. Even at early ages, kids categorize their world based on assumptions.

What happens if you read a story about a "black" Santa? I am reading Nurture Shock and there is chapter "Why White Parents Don't Talk About Race." There are enough issues shared by the issues of race and gender that you may glean some ideas from this chapter for your project.

Good luck,

Iris

Edited by Wildiris

My first thought is that that behavior isn't all that odd. All sorts of boys can and do play with the home center items. And it should be viewed as a good thing! Only a few parents are weird about such things and I find them funny. I had a parent come into the preschool classroom and ask about his kid who was playing in the home center. He was "unsure." I thought that odd as HE was the one picking his kid up and would be the one taking care of him the next couple hours til mom got home! Anyway, but all sorts of boys talk about being mommies and such. I wouldn't worry about that. Not conforming when the other kids confront him is a little different, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing either.

Of course, the assignment is assuming he really is going to end up gay or transgender or something. But I think it's dumb for people to make those assumptions about a 5yo. And I think it's probably a bad idea to react strongly in any direction. It amazes me when I see people do so to even the slightest little thing (or what I've seen on a documentary).

Anyway, of course, you have to be careful in regards to what you respond and you WILL have to respond (the other children should not be allowed to bully him because he won't conform); but though I would probably be a little more detailed in a paper, obviously, I would blow over most of it. Discussing being respectful, how things often work in this world, etc would be appropriate. Not judging in case he really will go that direction is what they want to see in the project. And then you have the parents. If I got more than one or two inquiries, I'd simply send home a brief note explaining the situation and what is expected in the classroom. I would be VERY professional and not take ANY side.

I have my own beliefs about such things and many other topics from Southern Baptist to Evolution to Creationism to Military to Gays to whatever....My personal belief, which I believe helps CONSIDERABLY in a classroom situation, is that EVERY person eventually makes their own choices in regards to who they are, what they are, what they do, how they live, etc. I believe those choices are theirs alone to make. I believe they have the god-given right to do as they please. There ARE consequences, positive and negative, to each. The classroom isn't the place to even encourage people to consider my beliefs, much less force them to live by them or pretend to live by them.

:iagree:

I would read William's Doll to the class.

I would ask the child (or his parents) why he says he feels like a girl. The answer could be as simple as he prefers playing with dolls and that he thinks boys should rather play with cars.

re: gender confusion

My major is Early Childhood Education. I have a project to write a paper and do a powerpoint on dealing with a certain scenario. Maybe someone can throw out some suggestions, if you can get past the craziness of the assignment. :)

The first line of the instructions: "This assignment is designed to expose students to a variety of multicultural and diversity issues common to a teaching and learning environment."

So... the scenario is that I have a boy in my kindergarten class who plays in the kitchen area, calls himself the mommy, calls the baby dolls his babies, and tells the other kids that he feels like a girl and plans to grow up, marry one of the boys in the class, and have babies with him. The other kids tell him he can't do that and he isn't a girl. He cries. His parents are upset with the situation as are the parents of the other children.

Um.. would a teacher really be the one to create a plan of action and implement it to get to a resolution? Wow! My first thought was that this child should be seeing a counselor. My second thought was that he is probably just role-playing the role that has meant a lot in his life, that of his mom. Anyway, I'm not sure how to approach it. I need to start by finding 5 resources/materials that I can use to help me resolve the issue.

I found a website that talks about gender role confusion in children. It has a few suggestions, but really suggests having the child talk to a doctor. I don't think that can be part of my project resolution because I think I'm supposed to be focusing on what I'm doing in my classroom. But here is what I've come up with so far:

What kind of resources should I look for? What a strange assignment!!

I don't think the second action you listed would be considered politically correct. I think these days, it is more likely that it would be more correct to tell all the other children that it is perfectly normal and okay for this boy to feel like a girl and that maybe he will become one in the future and that there is nothing wrong with that. Basically, to normalize it to the other children.

Lisa

Why not create a lesson plan where the kids come up with roles they see in every day life . The kids define the roles, play the roles, then switch roles. For example, kids may assume that all garbage collectors are men of color. Why not girls? I think it would be an excellent opportunity to look at roles in society and the assumptions made about those roles. Even at early ages, kids categorize their world based on assumptions.

I like this neutral resolution. I can focus on books and lesson plans that talk about this. That way I can avoid the issue that might be really touchy with parents.

One thing I'm learning in college is that my personal feelings about a situation may not always be the guide I follow. I need to consider the bigger picture. The scenario gives rise to jump to conclusions because there simply is not enough information to really make an informed assessment, IMHO.

This is my first class with this particular professor, so I'm not sure how he "thinks". However, he is heavily involved in a new project at my college called Urban Education where they get the college students out of the college classrooms and into the community to learn through experience and practice. Classes happen in the school system, though I'm not sure of the particulars. My degree program, birth to age 5, isn't included so it's not an option for me. If I were staying with preK to 5th grade, I'd seriously consider it. It sounds very cool. This professor focuses on diversity and multicultural education. My class title is Sociocultural Influences in Teaching.

I don't think this isn't a problem because it isn't "politically correct" but because it may set bad classroom precedent. When Jane spends the day telling people she's a princess, will she have to stop?

And a teacher WOULD be involved in solving this problem because in the simplest terms, it's a classroom management problem: he's crying, other kids are reacting, there is disagreement, etc.

Here are two sites that give different takes on this topic.

http://www.pflagtc.com/school_resources.asp

http://www.massresistance.org/

Our school introduced a curriculum to be used in in our K-4 school that was developed by the HRC. Hence, our homeschooling journey began.

Good Luck on your assignment. Your instructor is likely looking for one correct answer.

Lesley

wow. many of the headlines on that website are downright hateful. :(

ETA: i read more. the entire website disgusts me.

I didn't even go there... hit the "back" button as soon as I'd read a couple headlines.

There is no way I would tell the kid that he can't say he is a girl. Like another poster mentioned, then you have the issue when anyone claims to be anything. Instead, if you felt you needed to address that aspect in any way, I think I would discuss with the class (circle time with help of a storybook probably):

1) sometimes people really want to be or believe themselves to be X (like a princess)

2) they may actually be in some way (princess to daddy rather than Princess of Acrabah)

3) that other people may not understand or may disagree

4) that it is not appropriate, in the classroom, to be disrespectful EVER (using the story, give appropriate examples).

5) You may, somewhere up by idea 1 or 2, have the kids express any they have pretended to be or were to an extent (hope to be a fireman; goes to karate class to learn to be a blackbelt; etc).

HTHs a little.

The biggest issues to address are:

1) disrespect in the classroom

2) the disruption this is causing in the classroom

You don't have to get anyone to believe any differently; and honestly, if my kid were in your classroom, I would hope you wouldn't even try! It undermines MY beliefs if you step on the beliefs of someone else in front of my kid. It sets you up as more of an authority than you really are or should be. It's a slippery slope. And past the issues above, you are supposed to be teaching my kid to read and add; please focus on that by getting this issue out of the spotlight.

As for resources? Don't limit yourself to the specific topic too much. The issue is much bigger than transgender or homosexuality in the classroom. Classroom management, classroom rules/roles/expectations, socio-emotional development/issues affecting education, etc would all be appropriate things to consider. And of course, there are specific things you'll use, such as a storybook.

Edited by 2J5M9K

You don't have to get anyone to believe any differently; and honestly, if my kid were in your classroom, I would hope you wouldn't even try! It undermines MY beliefs if you step on the beliefs of someone else in front of my kid. It sets you up as more of an authority than you really are or should be. It's a slippery slope. And past the issues above, you are supposed to be teaching my kid to read and add; please focus on that by getting this issue out of the spotlight.

This was our largest problem with the HRC's Welcoming Schools curriculum. In order for the child to be said to have met the "learning goal" the child would have to say the following sentence.

"I used to think...(fill in blank from what the child had as original base line, would likely be what was taught at home), but now I know... (fill in blank from what the teacher has taught from the curriculum).

Teacher authority was trumping parental authority and at such young ages it, IMHO, it is nothing short of destructive to the trust relationship between parent and child, teacher and child, and parent and teacher.

Lesley

Well, in my defense. :) The reason I was suggesting that he not say he was a girl would be out of respect for the rest of the students and their families. Surely there would be a way for him to express himself without arguing with the other kids about his gender when to their concrete way of thinking, he is clearly not a girl. I was thinking of when I was pregnant with my son and my daughter told a friend that I was having a boy. The girl told my daughter that her mom was going to the baby superstore and buying a girl so maybe my daughter should tell me to buy a girl. I was horrified that this mother would tell her child she was buying a sibling at store! My daughter and I talked about where babies came from but I told her she couldn't tell her friend because obviously the mother wasn't ready to deal with that yet. I told her it was like the Santa story. Obviously kids will talk, but I took the opportunity to share something I believed to be right. There simply was no good reason for me to encroach on another parent's rights. So I sort of felt like this issue had that feel to it.

Oh Beth, I didn't think you were telling him that because you were pushing your beliefs. I knew it was out of respect for everyone else. It's just inappropriate on a few levels. The easiest way for me to think about these things is to consider something I would not be in the majority about, preferably something I have pretty strong feelings about. Then you can think about how you would want your very little kid handled regarding that issue.

And always remember that what you choose to do is going to have a butterfly effect, especially with very young children. This is especially true in regards to what the children take away from it literally and how they view you.

ETA: I re-read what I wrote above. I tend to *think* very strongly because I do the above and take the responsibility very heavily. Remember, I hold some VERY unpopular views in terms of what most people in this country believe. Because of that, I have been offended AND I have to be very careful about offending other people when it comes to beliefs. Anyway, unfortunately, my radar goes off a bit strong when I hear of/see a situation where the minority is likely to be offended. Actually, *I* am currently doing a paper on two minority subcultures students may be apart of. In doing this paper, I've seen that 1) some things I've seen at school is NOT legal! and 2) that teachers really should be on top of the ball in regards to beliefs and respect.

Edited by 2J5M9K

Well, in my defense. :) The reason I was suggesting that he not say he was a girl would be out of respect for the rest of the students and their families. Surely there would be a way for him to express himself without arguing with the other kids about his gender when to their concrete way of thinking, he is clearly not a girl.
:001_smile:

But if this hypothetical child were transgender, he would self-identify as a girl, though not necessarily exclusively. [There's a "fluid" group that kind of go back and forth between genders, and don't permanently identify with either. They have the toughest time of all in adulthood as gender reassignment isn't a viable option.] Likewise, if he was merely deep in role-playing, or exploring the idea of mommy-ness, at that time it's quite possible he believes he's a girl.

Transgender individuals often experience intense anxiety because of the conflict between their gender identities and their bodies, and the suicide rate in the group is shockingly high. To be told by parents, teachers, peers, etc. that they are not that which they know they are or they should hide it only intensifies the anxiety.

Well, in my defense. :) The reason I was suggesting that he not say he was a girl would be out of respect for the rest of the students and their families. Surely there would be a way for him to express himself without arguing with the other kids about his gender when to their concrete way of thinking, he is clearly not a girl. I was thinking of when I was pregnant with my son and my daughter told a friend that I was having a boy. The girl told my daughter that her mom was going to the baby superstore and buying a girl so maybe my daughter should tell me to buy a girl. I was horrified that this mother would tell her child she was buying a sibling at store! My daughter and I talked about where babies came from but I told her she couldn't tell her friend because obviously the mother wasn't ready to deal with that yet. I told her it was like the Santa story. Obviously kids will talk, but I took the opportunity to share something I believed to be right. There simply was no good reason for me to encroach on another parent's rights. So I sort of felt like this issue had that feel to it.

I don't think you need to defend yourself. I think it's perfectly reasonable to think that one option would be to tell the boy he can't say he's a girl. When I brought up the politically correct issue, I was thinking more about what I thought your professor might want to see.

Lisa

I absolutely do not agree with this.

A child who feels differently in some respect should not be allowed to state his true feelings for fear of upsetting outsiders??? What a strange concept.

The others can choose to be upset by it or ignore him - but to demand that a child denies his identity (if he, indeed, feels as a girl) is harmful.

Because you would have to use the same measure for all children who are "different": smart kids would have to play dumb in order not to upset the average kids, kids from dysfunctional families have to pretend all is well at home, disabled children have to pretend to be fine...

I'd focus on getting the rest of the class to accept that this child is different.

I would focus on the fact that the children are continuing to pester the boy, and it's making him upset. Making someone cry by continuing to pester them is not OK, whatever the issue. People don't always agree on things, and they can learn to "agree to disagree". (However you would explain that to a five year old!)

Any kind of resources on bullying should provide useful strategies.

I would also be sure to point out that as a teacher you are not qualified to diagnose *anything* - in the same way you could not diagnose an ADD kid. Refer to the guidance counselor or whoever the appropriate person would be in your school.

To be told by parents, teachers, peers, etc. that they are not that which they know they are or they should hide it only intensifies the anxiety.

I know. I was just throwing out ideas. If this were an actual situation where I was the actual teacher, the entire thing would be handled from a completely different point of view than what I'm doing in my project. That is one thing that bothers me so much. This project is assuming that *I* am responsible for smoothing out the situation when in real life, that would be really far from the truth.

With my statement, I didn't intend to tell the child he is not who he claims to be or that he would have to hide himself under a bushel. But I don't think it's fair to let him continue to put himself into a situation where he will be ostracized from the other kids. Because despite all that the schools and teachers and parents are trying to do to prevent bullying, it is still happening and will always happen. Brief words in passing in this child's ears, looks, laughs, and pointing fingers can harm his self-image. So there are just lots of points to consider.

There is so much to this type of scenario that we are assuming. Personally, I think it's an unfair assignment. But I'm just going to do it from a Sesame Street approach, an everybody is unique and we're all 'free to be you and me' type of thing. I am fairly positive this assignment won't be graded so seriously. It's not that high level of a class.

But I'm really glad I tossed the question out on this board. I love the diversity of this board. And if nothing else, this has been an addition to my education. I have known two people in this type of situation. One had a complete sex change, and the other just chose to live the lifestyle without following a medical path. I lost touch with them years ago, but I do remember some cool discussions.

I've know one - he (she) committed suicide.

I know one child who is just starting puberty suppression drugs. He is incredibly fortunate to have not only supportive parents, but also a supportive school administration (he's in private school), good counseling, and an endocrinologist who is an expert in this particular field. Having known him before and after the transition, I have to say it's been like a sea change: he is happy and relaxed, and doesn't exhibit the same kinds of intensely anxious behaviors he did previously.