Menu

Anyone else using workboxes?

Hello!

So I've jumped on the workbox wagon. We've only been homeschooling for one week now, so we're VERY new. However in my months of research over the summer (haha) I found that I really liked the idea of workboxes, especially with multiple kids. Otherwise, I didn't know how I'd organize it and make sure everyone knew what they were doing next without tons of "mom mom mom mom" all day.

Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone else is trying it. My boys really like it so far.

Here is some pictures of my set-up:

http://boysnbooks.blogspot.com/

We're using workboxes and have been for a while. A year, maybe? I agree--I don't know how else I'd get everything together! It's at least as much for me as it is for them at this point; using the boxes really helps me get things organized for each day. Your set-up looks great. I'll have to take some pics of mine when they're full and post them on my blog. I can't believe I haven't done that yet!

We use a form of workboxes but in rolling carts. One of those multi-drawer things on wheels. ;) It DOES help the kids be able to find their books. We also put a shape (dd12 has stars and ds6 has airplanes), with velcro on the back, on the front of each drawer. The idea is to transfer the shape to a premade laminated chart after each subject is finished, but that doesn't always happen! :001_huh:

Even now, with the kids in ps, I still have them keep some things in those carts. The top drawer has always been items for Bible study, so I have them still keep their Bibles in that drawer. Helps us get out the door more quickly for church and AWANA! :tongue_smilie:

Let me see if I can find the link that gave me the idea. Oh, here it is:

http://www.thechatterbee.com/profiles/blogs/getting-organized-with

I've been using workboxes for over a year now too. They make the day go smoother because I can find everything I need for each subject in its box. I do regular posts on my blog for "What's in the box?" each week.

Right now we are using rolling carts with 6 drawers:

language arts

spelling

science

history

math

other (lapbook, projects)

Hope they work well for you.:001_smile:

Rolling carts here too. I started with the whole system but it has kind of morphed into something pretty basic and more of a storage system...but it still works for us, even if we pretty much just start at the top where maths is, and move down the drawers during the day. It gives somewhere to store worksheets and textbooks, keep things for each subject together...and just a visual, tangible organisational system.

Guest ME-Mommy

I'm using the Workbox System with my 14 yo and my 11 yo...I find it keeps ME organized and on-task as far as planning and correcting!! ;)

There is an AWESOME Workbox System Yahoo Group with lots of printables in the "Files" Section.

Happy homeschooling!!

We use them, too! We started in K, and now we're into first grade... so they are all my kiddo knows... I love them. They keep me organized.

I use the Trofast system from Ikea instead of the shoeboxes - the only drawback is that our boxes aren't clear. But truthfully, I prefer the way it looks since it's out in the open (we don't have a schoolroom anymore).

The Yahoo group is full of great ideas!

I find that I'm having a hard time being creative with the "funboxes". Also, its really time consuming right now with stuffing the boxes every night. I figure out my weekly schedule one night a week for the whole week. However for some reason the grading of the work, the putting of the boxes back, and the gathering books, papers and supplies for the boxes takes me a good hour...sometimes more if I have to make a change in my schedule and figure out something else for my funbox.

I've only been using it two weeks though, and I've gotten some great ideas on the workbox yahoo group on better ways to make use of my time.

• 1 month later...
We're using workboxes and have been for a while. A year, maybe? I agree--I don't know how else I'd get everything together! It's at least as much for me as it is for them at this point; using the boxes really helps me get things organized for each day. Your set-up looks great. I'll have to take some pics of mine when they're full and post them on my blog. I can't believe I haven't done that yet!

:iagree: We've just started using workboxes, but the results are phenomenal! Those little boxes are just so motivating. I have to fill them up with stuff. My kids are motivated to complete them. We are all very visual learners, so the boxes just provide that visual motivation. We will stick with them for quite a while.

We are using them too! This has been the best thing ever! Last year we used a crate per child with folders divided into subjects. We just didn't have the money for the carts. Over the summer my wonderful FIL built me a set of shelves that fit under my windows in the school room and I purchased some plastic dishpans and it has worked great! The girls even painted the shelves themselves. If I knew how to post pictures I would show you!

We do sort of a modified system here. I just use each tub to store a different subject, and I have a few extras for paper, puzzles and books for the baby, etc. I don't number or label or even really change anything. But my son always knows where his math his, where his grammar is, etc. He pulls it out and puts it away and it's there for the next day. This is highly preferable to the stacks I had all over my front room :D

We use the Trofast set from IKEA too. I bought two of the 3x3s and we stacked them, so I have a 3x9. It's a nice little 'homeschool station' for our dining room. I use the top to store my Judy Clock, abacus, pencil sharpener, pencil cup, etc. Right now there is a 3-foot skeleton model that DH brought home from work for the kids (we're studying the human body for science).