Menu

Outlander -- love it, or not so much?

A few weeks ago, people here were raving about how Outlander was the best book they'd ever read. (I'd never heard of it before.)

Intrigued, I looked it up on Amazon and saw that it had well over a thousand five-star reviews, many of them having titles like, "The best book I've ever read it my life!" or "I could NOT put this book down!" or "I read it for eight hours straight!" or "I stayed up all night reading it!"

I really felt like sinking into a great novel (and I was curious how any book could be that good!) so I got it.

Well, I'm close to halfway through it. I read about the marriage, and the wedding night with the witnesses, and they just ran into the guy who doesn't talk ...

And I've gotta say, I don't hate it, but I'm particularly loving it. I can't believe all those reviews said they couldn't put it down. To me, it's kinda draggy/slow/boring in spots. The character Jamie (who many people said they "fell in love with") isn't doing anything for me yet.

I'm just curious, did anyone else not fall in love with this book? Is it just me? What am I missing here? Does it start getting better at some point? Did you love it or hate it or somewhere in the middle, and why?

Also, who was the ghost that was seen at the beginning of the book, before the time travel incident? Did I miss something? Is that brought up again later?

Jenny

I liked it when I first read it, but didn't love it. I reread Outlander after the 3rd or 4th book and enjoyed it more on the second go 'round.

I'm invested in the characters, so I'll see it through to the end, but I haven't even gotten around to reading the "latest" which is last year's Echo in the Bone.

Shhh, don't tell anyone, but for the most part, I find Claire, and later, Brianna, completely insufferable :leaving:. Gabaldon does a much better job writing her male characters, IMHO.

Did. Not. Love.

I tried to like it, I really did, but I couldn't it. I even read 2 more books in the series hoping I would love it, but...eh. I didn't like the characters that much and all the Forrest Gumping through historical events really got on my nerves. I gave the series a good chance, but it just didn't work. I don't understand all the Outlander love.

The character Jamie (who many people said they "fell in love with") isn't doing anything for me yet.

If Jamie isn't doing anything for you yet - I'd just happily put the book to the side and leave it unfinished. The ending of the book won't make you enjoy the book any more. :001_huh: And Jamie is less endearing in the following books, imesho.

I fell in love with Claire, really. She fascinated me because I know, if *I* were the one sent back to that time period, I'd have been dead within a few minutes - just from sheer panic, lol!

the first book is definitely the best, so if you're not loving it now, I'd just go on my way and read something else. I liked the first book (excepting the end) - and the 2nd book was okay - but after that, she sort of lost me. This last book I couldn't even get through the first quarter.

OK, I loved the first 2 books and then the rest... not so much. But I understand what you mean. I felt that way about "Forest Gump" and "Titanic". There was so much hype about those movies and when I finally saw them I thought they were kind of dumb. Or at least not up to the hype. I'd never heard of "Outlander" when my best friend loaned me the book. I read the whole thing in a weekend! I fantasized about Jamie. Claire was my alter ego. Yes, I was pretty much sunk. (Of course that was a long time ago - before DH and DCs were in my life)

I've read several in the series (so obviously I didn't hate them), but I found myself progressively less satisfied by them as they went on.

I got the feeling that Claire was just....stuck on herself. Actually, I started feeling that the characters were somewhat autobiographical and the author was stuck on herself. They really lost their charm at that point.

I tried it for the same reason - so many friends raving about how it was the best thing they'd ever read. I couldn't for the life of me see what all the fuss was about. But then, books that glorify adultery pretty consistently leave me cold, so that aspect of it might have kept me from appreciating whatever other merits it has.

SBP

LOVE that series. It's my favorite series ever. I remember the first time I tried reading it, I couldn't get into it, and I put it aside for probably over a year.

Then I was bored one day and had nothing else to read so I gave it another shot. And once I stuck it out to the point where she went back in time, I was hooked.

But you're already there and if you're halfway through and not loving it, then I guess it's just not for you! Weirdo! (LOL JUST KIDDING)!

But yeah I love those books, love the story, love the characters, love Jamie, all of it!

Meh. I have no idea why it's such a popular series. All the torture stuff at the end with the one-dimensional villain was way over the top, too.

:iagree:I liked it until that point and then I had to force myself to finish it. I have sort of a love/hate relationship with that book. I didn't want to read it, but it did hook me and stayed with me, so I can't decide if that is a good or bad thing.

I am reading the series now (I just started Fiery Cross.) I don't *love them. There are times where the books draw me in, but most of the time, they are good to read when I have nothing else to do/read.

I think the books could be MUCH shorter and still get the story across. Sometimes the author adds scenes to the story which leaves me with a big :blink: ???? For instance...there is one scene with wolves that for the life of me...I could not figure out WHY on earth that needed to happen.

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

I also do not understand the authors need to add unrequited homosexuality throughout the series. Ok, I get it in the first book...but why does it need to be a theme throughout the series?

So...the series is simply "Ok" to me. I am invested (someone gave me all the books) so I will finish them...but I don't get all the people who go on and on about them.

Edited by WagsWife
forgot to add "not"