Menu

Does anyone have your children do History/Science Independently?

michaeljenn

I am using SOTW/MOH for history right now, and doing a study of the human body for science. I am finding it very difficult to "get" to science and history with my children. After I spend time on English, Math, and so on... It is hard to spend even MORE time with them for History and Science. I feel like my 2 younger ones are suffering and needing more of my time... not to mention my house!! Another thing is the constant interuption during history/science read aloud.

So my question is... has anyone had their children just read SOTW/MOH themselves, then fill out the notebooking pages I have ready for them? I guess I feel a bit guilty for not doing this with them. I would always have these pre-read for discussion too. I feel like this would take a big load off.

Same for science. I think I could just give them a "reading list" each day and then help them with experiments/projects.

Please.... tell me what you do!!!!

My kids do the majority of their work independently. My dd 12 reads SOTW herself and then we alternate between her writing a summary or my asking her the questions from the AG. My ds 13 does pretty much all his history himself. I make the assignments but I don't have time to keep up with all the reading.

I'm a little more involved in their science but they are still partially independent on this. At times I feel guilty but then a remember that developing independent learners is a good thing.

Wendy

I school on 4 different grade levels and it is tough. It's difficult just to get in all the basics sometimes. My ds12 does SL history by himself. He reads and does the worksheets and tests. He also picks books out at the library that go with that time period. My 3 younger do SL history together. I read to all of them (even the ds12) during lunch all the history. I also try to do history pockets with all of them. However, that's hard to get in too. For science, I've always done it together. This year we are doing Apologia's Astronomy. I read it 2-3 times per week, but it sometimes takes us 2-3 weeks for one chapter. It takes us longer b/c I do the experiments with them. I purchased the experiment kit that goes with it so I can do at least one/chapter with them. For example, yesterday we made a volcano (olympic mons on Mars). It didn't take much time b/c it still had to dry. We did it right after lunch and all the kids helped. Today we will erupt it. I know it is tough to get it all in and sometimes history and Science tend to get pushed to the side. I would try to group together as much as you can to ease up a bit. You can, like I do, let them do it on their own, but if you're like me I always feel like I'm not involved when they do their own thing. Maybe just focus on a few projects that can involve all of them or history pockets? I always get stressed about it too, but then I remind myself that as long as they are learning and loving to learn then we are ok. When I say it's time for history and science they say, "yay!" I hope this helps a little for you!

I do, but mine's in high school--he does the assigned work, and we meet for any where from 15 mins to an hour, about 3 or 4 times a week. We are using Sonlight 300 for history. I do have him go thru Apologia Chem by himself, checking every now and again for understanding.

History

What does "independent" look like for you? Do you mean having your kiddos read an assignment that is printed on a list or some type of assignment schedule, then meet with you to discuss? Is that in contrast to reading the pages aloud to them and then discussing and notebooking (is this the way you do it now?)

I really don't see it as a huge timesaver to allow them to read it by themselves, as the discussion seems to have to take more time--I keep looking at my dd's eyes to see if she's following along when I read aloud; our discussion doesn't need to cover the basic facts if I see she's absorbing things. On the other hand, you could be working with the littles during that portion of history, so I see what you mean.

I guess what I'd probably do is this:

Assign a section of SOTW and have dc write out the answers to the questions in the AG, or write a rough draft narration. Then get together the next day for a discussion that includes them presenting their answers or narration to you. Work with them to correct/edit, then send them off to write up the notebooking aspect. While they are doing this, meet with your littles.

I'd also start scheduling read alouds during naptime so you aren't interrupted. Or, if that's not possible, pull out the playdough or coloring or stickers and let the littlest (whom I'm assuming is the problem) work alongside you. Perhaps keep it shorter than usual, training dear little to not interrupt.

How often do you do history and science? Perhaps just doing two days of each would work.

Science

This one would depend on what science you are using. I think it is much more interesting when Mom participates in science. It is one of those topics I have to force myself to do. Often I feel overwhelmed--this has pleasantly changed since I've let go some of the more involved curricula I'd been using, and just allowed dd 7 to do a bit here, a bit there. Lots of nature study (she now has a Tasco microscope to take outside), some living books, some experiments now and then. Of course, your goals will be different. With a 12 yo, you should be able to let him do some independent work, checking in with you.

A lesson may look like this:

Sit with him for 5 mins, introducing the material. Give him an assignment, then check back in for 10-15 mins of discussion while others are engaged with a worksheet or narration page. You might even try having one do science while one is doing history.

A little is better than none. I would try to plan maybe one experiment or hands-on history activity every 2-3 weeks, where you could combine them. But again, depends on your curriculum.

Gosh this is long--in a nutshell, don't just hand them stuff and let them do it. They are too young. Make time to discuss and evaluate, but also start letting them get an assignment and do it without you peering over their shoulder or sitting beside them *all* the time.

Now, why couldn't I just say *that*? lol

History, No. My public school education left me feeling pretty uneducated in the history sense. I need to learn it more than them. :eek: I teach it to them while I quietly learn with them.

Yes to Science on nature studies. No if we are using a curriculum like we just finished. We did Chemistry. Even though the experiments were pretty tame, giving an 11yo, 8yo, 6yo, and 4yo free reign to complete their experiments alone. Ugh, no.

subjects and all! We are doing MOH and a Human Body unit right now. If I get to one History lesson and one Science each week we are lucky. I, too, feel as if I'm neglecting my 2 younger children as well as ds6 who never wants to particpate in Science/History (and I don't make him). My dd11 did History alone last year (Amer. Hist. w/ Hakim material) as well as Science (we were with a cyber charter). I wanted her to feel included this year, but I'm wondering the same thing you are. Next year, dd11 and ds9 (will be 10) will do Apologia General together and mostly independent except for experiments. MOH could be done independently easily. Especially for older students. I'm going to try having my dd11 take the lead and read that lesson and help ds8 w/ his narrations. Any act. I can participate on. It'll give me a good 1/2 hour to read w/ dd2 and ds5. We can't do it all so by all means, if your dc can do it ind..let them!

My 11 and 9 yo only do history and science independently. I spend my instructional time concentrating on the foundational skills - reading, spelling, writing, math, Bible, memory, logic. History and science take a back seat until after grade 6. They each have reading they do for these, and we do a lot of duscussion as a family, but nothing that takes a lot of my time or prep.

Great ideas here!

Chris, I was wondering....what kind of Tasco microscope did you get and where did you buy it? Something like that would be a nice addition to our nature studies. I'd been considering getting the Brock Magiscope, but if the microscope works, then maybe I'll get that instead.

Thanks!

My son (the only one left at home this year) is 9, and he does all his history and science reading on his own. I pre-read (or at least pre-skimmed) all the materials when I wrote my lesson plans, so we can talk about what he's read. I just show him the lesson plan for the week, which lists all of his assignments, and he does the reading, then comes and tells me about what he read.

--Jenny

This is what I began moving toward in fifth grade with my older son. I still did quite a few read alouds also during fifth, but that gradually diminished to none by seventh. I think it is good for them to read on their own. That way they can't be tuning out, really, they have to pay attention to what they're reading more than if Mom is reading. And they have to pay attention if they're then going to be able to answer the questions, etc. afterward.

I think this absolutely helped him to build his study skills, notetaking skills, reading speed, etc. He now has a very strong reading ability, even though he was never crazy about reading when he was younger. And he has a good work ethic in high school and has no difficulty doing his reading, taking notes, etc. to prepare for his classes.

I think logic stage is definitely a time to help them start to make the transition toward being more self-reliant and able to learn on their own. I became more of a course facilitator and grader during that time period and it has served us very well.

Regena

I just wanted to thank everyone for your replies.

I think I will have my older 2 start doing history on their own. Like I said in my last post, I will continue to read ahead in the evening on my own to make sure I know history myself!!! LOL Then I will have them notebook and write a paragraph on what they read. I do read novels pertaining to the time period out loud still, so we do interact quite a bit. It is just soooo tought to read a novel, then read history and science out loud. This would honestly be several solid hours of me just reading out loud a day. Unfortunately, with the ages of my younger children, it is just not doable. When they are napping, I HAVE to have a "sanity" break... if you know what I mean. I do spend some time doing school with the olders during nap... but usually this time is for quietly reading, or completing Rosetta Stone spanish on computer or something QUIET!!

Thanks again... and I would love to hear more suggestions!!!

Hi Jennifer,

I am having my 12yo and 11yo do a lot of their history and science reading independently this year. I give them a schedule so that they know exactly what and how much to read each day then let them at it. They need to then tell/discuss what they have learned with me or write a narration/report. I still want them to interact with me about what they are learning but I'm wanting them to delve into their learning themselves (with guidelines of course) without me spoonfeeding them or telling what to think.

I was combining my 9yo and 7yo together with a lot of things which I would do with them, but I think my 9yo is really looking for a bit more independence too. Hmmm....will have to think a bit more about that one....

Jennifer,

I have MOTH on my bookshelf (ahem--the REAL kind of bookshelf) and I recall it saying to have your older children take turns playing for 15-30 mins with your youngers. Have you thought about doing this and working with the "other" older child during this time?

Just a thought.

Chris

My 11 yo does all history and science reading independently.As soon as she was old enough to say she'd rather read it to herself,I've let her do it.I check for comprehension by asking questions and she will ask if she doesn't understand something.She hasn't liked to do read-alouds since midway through 3rd grade.

My oldest does Apologia General, which has worked fine for him. He also does Omnibus which is independent except for discussions.

My two middle ds's were the ones I felt just weren't getting enough exposure. I bought CLE lightunits for Social Studies and Science. I also bought the Reading modules for them as well. We had issues of looking at the page without reading so I am hoping this will make them more accountable to actually reading the material.

We also do read-alouds but, at least this way, I feel they are getting exposure. I am letting them do their work independently but they must make an A on the unit test before they can move to the next unit.

Some struggles right now but hoping it improves.

My daughter is using the new History Prep 1 book by Galore Park. She is working on her own on it and really loving it. It begins with a reading section of about ten or so pages which she really does enjoy and then it has a variety of exercises aimed at helping her to sort through the facts and analyse the primary source and evidence, culminating in an essay. It is certainly suitable for self-teaching. I have been adding historical fiction about the period to 'spice it up' for her.

I like how it teaches history chronologically. It coincidentally has begun with 1066 and the Battle of Hastings so it has slotted in nicely with where we were up to anyway in history. It seems very heavy on the British and European History so far but, being Scottish, (and having not learned much English history myself) I am aware of how political history teaching can be. I hope this means I can be aware of it and supplement with books with parallel events around the World.

They read their textbook lessons to themselves, and do any worksheets or outlining associated with the lesson.

I correct the worksheets and we go over discussion questions together. The kids are also required to take notes/write down vocabulary words in a notebook. I check this as well. Then when they have a review day before a test (We use Calvert's test series, not ATS) they can go over their own notes to refresh their memories.

Occasionally, I will have them read their lessons to me, just to make sure they are getting pronunciation correct. (Or if they are not able to answer the discussion questions correctly.) Generally, I have them do this while I'm cooking dinner or something.

Sometimes, if an experiment seems fun or really interesting, the girls will do it on their own. (Most often, we skip them, though... I feel I'm a bit of a slacker about that... )

The kids are all in their own level of Calvert... there is simply not enough time in the day for me to listen to/be more involved with every History and Science lesson. I do all the lessons with my youngest, so anything the two older girls can do independently really keeps the day moving along.

To clarify the Science issue... I did ask about a more exciting Science curriculum in another thread so we can try and get on the ball with more experiments. In that case, the kids will need to do the experiments together so I'm not pulled in 3 separate directions!

My dd does her history on her own and we meet twice a week to discuss it. For science we do the experiments together and discus what else she has been doing with it at that point. She is 12 but is happier doing it independently. The youngest is seven we do everything together. He isn't reading well and so we got the cd's this year for SOTW. He does the coloring sheet from the AG while we listen. Although I am there and we discuss it it really gives me a break.

Melissa