Menu

CLE Math-do you really need to supplement it?

buttercup

Depends on your math goals and how well CLE is working wrt helping you help your children to meet said goals.

My impression of board consensus is that people mostly agree that CLE is a good, traditional program that is likely to be successful wrt to students mastering the basics of math and being able to competently apply those skills in solving the standard types of problems. Nothing I've seen of the program would negate that assessment. So if that's your goal, you are probably all set with just CLE.

But the board consensus wrt whether CLE alone will develop creative, flexible problem solving skills or teaches (enough of) the whys of math, so that students develop a profound understanding of mathematics, is, well, sharply divided :lol:. So if your math goals include either of the above, you would certainly want to keep a very sharp eye on your dc's progress in those areas, because it is, at the very least, an open question as to whether CLE alone is sufficient to get you there. That way you can figure out sooner rather than later if you need to supplement and in what areas. Or you can just supplement straight off the bat, if you find the reasoning behind the "CLE is not conceptual math" position to be convincing.

Does that help?

Last year I switched my ds to Singapore from Abeka (which he had used since K). Last year when we started Singapore he was in 3rd grade but was working in 2a and 2b (2a seemed like the best place to start with him at the time). He did well at first but math started to become a hated subject and he struggled with it, although still I did see him making some strides in the mental math area. I have to say that being able to figure out a sub. problem with borrowing in his head was quite impressive being that my older dd had never accomplished that before, but of course she had always used a traditional math program. I happened to buy a couple of CLE lu's last year and we switched things up a bit by using about 2 lu's toward the end of the year as well as Singapore. He liked CLE so much more and did not balk so much at doing math when I pulled out CLE as opposed to Singapore. I know that kids/people in general do not welcome things that are difficult but still need to do these things because of the benefits in the end. I just struggle with whether I should continue in a program that my ds does not like and possibly cause him to hate math in general. I know many use 2 math programs on this board, but I struggle with fitting it all in. So I ended up buying CLE, but in the last couple of weeks I have had some regret over not using Singapore so I purchased the 3A textbook and workbook, in order to try to supplement again. Just do not know what to do...

Quick thought - Math Mammoth is conceptually similar to Singapore, but in a more hand-hold-y, worktext format. I think it has lots of samples online - enough that you could print some out and let your ds see what he thinks. Clearly, yet *another* math program is exactly what you need :lol:, but it might be a good compromise - maybe it's worth taking a look.

Depends on your math goals and how well CLE is working wrt helping you help your children to meet said goals.

My impression of board consensus is that people mostly agree that CLE is a good, traditional program that is likely to be successful wrt to students mastering the basics of math and being able to competently apply those skills in solving the standard types of problems. Nothing I've seen of the program would negate that assessment. So if that's your goal, you are probably all set with just CLE.

But the board consensus wrt whether CLE alone will develop creative, flexible problem solving skills or teaches (enough of) the whys of math, so that students develop a profound understanding of mathematics, is, well, sharply divided :lol:. So if your math goals include either of the above, you would certainly want to keep a very sharp eye on your dc's progress in those areas, because it is, at the very least, an open question as to whether CLE alone is sufficient to get you there. That way you can figure out sooner rather than later if you need to supplement and in what areas. Or you can just supplement straight off the bat, if you find the reasoning behind the "CLE is not conceptual math" position to be convincing.

Does that help?

I love the way you wrote this, very diplomatic. :)

We mix CLE with SM.

I only have one child using CLE math and I don't supplement it. She is my perfectionist child who absolutely freaks about change and lots of new things in a lesson. CLE is thorough and gentle. As she gets more confident, I will probably print some of the word problems from Math Mammoth for her. I think CLE could use more complicated word problems.

No, I don't think CLE needs supplementing. I used CLE 400 without supplementing. We are half-way through 500 and I decided to throw in Life of Fred: Fractions on the side. Why? Though I LOVE CLE, my dd does not, but I'm not sure she would like any math curriculum. :) She's making good progress with CLE so I don't want to switch curriculums, but I think LOF will bring some "fun" back into math and will also help cement concepts by requiring her to think in a different way. We do CLE on Mon-Thursday and she has "Friday's with Fred". I plan to assign another LOF lesson on the weekend as homework. We just started this plan so too soon to say if it is working! :)

Edited by Marla

I don't think so. My dd was struggling, and CLE has caught her up to speed. Are you doing all the flashcards and speed drills?

I use the flashcards and do the speed drills. I didn't have the cards at first but I decided to get them and his drill scores have gotten better.

I don't supplement either. I think math would take too long and that could be frustrating!

we have used MUS, SM, TT, and CLE over the years. My girls doing CLE at grade level are supplementing with TT a grade above because they like math and TT is easy and feels more like a game. CLE challenges my oldest dd to the point that they she always feel like getting TT out. But my other two girls are not being challenged as of yet, so they do TT more consistanly. I didn't give them a placement test for CLE and perhaps should have. Last year, they both completed their grade level of SM (1a and b, and 3a and b) in the first semester and then did almost a whole year of TT in the second semester. They probably could have started at least 1/2 through at LU 5, but I heard that CLE got hard and I didn't want them to miss anything. In any case, we would not supplement at all if it the TT wasn't already available. It is more to keep my Mathy ones busy and sharp and let them have some fun while reviewing than anything else. For the record, I think CLE stands alone and I like it better than SM by a long shot. I think it covers both the hows and whys sufficiently.

My ds is half way through 2nd grade of CLE. I am not supplementing with another math program, but I do use critical thinking materials and would regardless of the math program I used. I may add LoF at some point just for the fun of it. I have the fractions and decimal books.

He is very math oriented and seems to get concepts very easy. I do a little more teaching on my own rather than follow the book, but I have a math degree.

I am having dd use the 8th grade this year before she gets to Algebra 1. It is very good. I wish I had know about CLE before last year. I would have had her doing it all along. I realize now that she could have benefitted from a spiral math program.

We are happy with CLE. No curriculum is perfect. Each will have its strengths and weaknesses. Like you we tried Singapore and ABeka and faced a lot of frustration. CLE has worked best for this dd, so it's the best for her. How's that for clear??!!

I would like to be able to supplement with Singapore, but, realistically, that isn't going to happen around here. It's my dream, but it would make her shut down. If fact, not one of my kids who are school age could pull that off right now. I think the perfect alternative is for me to go through Singapore or MM and add the conceptual explanations to the ones CLE provides, and I have already done that to a limited extent. My goal this year, however, is to be more involved in my high schooler's learning so more elementary math for me will have to wait. I have my limits, too. :001_smile:

Amy, It is nice to hear that you have a math degree and like the CLE Math program. That's very reassuring.

NJKelli, I have a hard enough time just finishing our one math book in a year, so I totally understand where you are your dc are coming from. Like you, I would love to be able to supplement BUT do not even know if we would even have the time. I do have some supplemental materials, if by chance, I am able to supplement and my dc are up to it.