Menu

Strange Squirrel behavior - Have you heard of this ?

I heard a banging noise on my patio door and when I checked to see what it was I saw a squirrel hitting the glass over and over , even after I stooped down to look at it. It looked like the squirrel was trying to get in the house. My presence didn't seem to even bother the squirrel at first. This seems very strange to me. I'm glad no one left the patio door open. I believe the squirrel would have come in.

Have you ever seen or heard of a squirrel behaving this way ?

There used to be a squirrel at my grandparents house that would do that.

The squirrel would even take food from my Grandpas hand.

It had a short tail on it(like it got in a fight or something) so they named it short tail and it came around for a long time.

They would hear knocking on the back door and would get food for it.

It was the craziest thing.

It's not strange at all! This is what my husband does for a living. He removes squirrels, opossums, bats, raccoons, etc. from people's homes, then repairs the damage done to their homes.

It is actually very common (if it wasn't, we would have no place to live or food in our mouths). :D

We have a one eyed squirrel that comes up to our back door. He never knocks, but I think with only having one eye he can't see very well and gets confused by the reflections in the door. Even the cats being right on the other side of the glass doesn't bother him. He's been hanging around our back deck for the last 2.5 years.

It's not strange at all! This is what my husband does for a living. He removes squirrels, opossums, bats, raccoons, etc. from people's homes, then repairs the damage done to their homes.

It is actually very common (if it wasn't, we would have no place to live or food in our mouths). :D

Are the animals getting into the crawl space and attics of the homes ?

We have a one eyed squirrel that comes up to our back door. He never knocks, but I think with only having one eye he can't see very well and gets confused by the reflections in the door. Even the cats being right on the other side of the glass doesn't bother him. He's been hanging around our back deck for the last 2.5 years.

We've had a lot of squirrels in our yard for years. Whats different about this one is how aggressive it was acting.I haven't seen a squirrel act like it was trying to get into our house before. I used to put seeds out to feed the birds but I haven't done that for about a year. When the squirrel was banging on the glass door the wind was blowing pretty hard. Maybe he wanted inside to get away from the wind. But it seems like it would have been more afraid of seeing me than the wind.

Yes. They can actually chew huge holes in your house. There are a couple pictures on the blog my husband just made. One is actually a huge hole that a squirrel chewed just to get inside the house.

http://animalagentcsi.blogspot.com/

Can I just say :scared: at the bat picture on your husband's site? We have woods on 3 sides of our house, so we've had 2 small brown bats come in, but that's a LOT of BIG bats! What kind are they?

OP, squirrels can do weird stuff when they eat fermented apples, etc. They do get drunk and will be braver approaching you/your house and will walk funny :D.

Yes. They can actually chew huge holes in your house. There are a couple pictures on the blog my husband just made. One is actually a huge hole that a squirrel chewed just to get inside the house.

His bat conservation link needs fixing. He must have intended to use:

http://www.batcon.org/ or http://www.batconservation.org/ but put in http://www.baton.org/

That was some destructive squirrel that chewed on that house. I knew raccoons are real destructive, but I didn't know squirrels were also so destructive.

In Portland OR,Vancouver WA, a few years ago there was some maintenance work being done on a bridge that crosses the OR/WA border and the pigeons living on the bridge left but relocated just a short distance down the river and got into the attics of a development of condos. My dh said the damage to each condo the birds got into was pretty significant - I do not remember exactly now, but I think it was around $1,400 to $2000 of damage per condo and there were a lot of condos with the bird problem. They make a huge mess and it's also a health issue.

It is extremely rare for small rodents and lagomorphs to carry rabies.

Squirrels have been known to be carriers of rabies on the Oregon coast. We live just across the border from OR, so I know it is not unheard of in this part of the country. But we do not live on the coast, we are inland about a 2 hour drive.

His bat conservation link needs fixing. He must have intended to use:

http://www.batcon.org/ or http://www.batconservation.org/ but put in http://www.baton.org/

Yes, he is working on it. He insisted he do it all himself and doesn't want any help from the wifey! :lol: He has been so busy with work that he hasn't had time to sit down to do a thing.

We've had squirrels chew through the siding on either side of our chimney and nested (were there when we moved in). A few chewed through window screens and dug out the window sill (and insulation) to nest in just a few minutes. Others used to scratch incessantly at our screen door, and still others chewed through the lids of our trash cans and we got to pick up trash every day. That was all in NC surrounded by beautiful Carolina Pines. The only thing that helped was when we brought home our precious Golden Retriever. She was very busy the first week chasing those squirrels. After that, we didn't see many around!

I heard a banging noise on my patio door and when I checked to see what it was I saw a squirrel hitting the glass over and over , even after I stooped down to look at it. It looked like the squirrel was trying to get in the house.

Serves you right for putting that big pile of acorns right there inside the door! ;)

Cat

There used to be a squirrel at my grandparents house that would do that.

The squirrel would even take food from my Grandpas hand.

It had a short tail on it(like it got in a fight or something) so they named it short tail and it came around for a long time.

They would hear knocking on the back door and would get food for it.

It was the craziest thing.

We had a short tail squirrel, too! He ran in front of our patio door and saw my cat itching to get at him! The squirrel ran UP to the window looked at the cat and raised his hands kinda like saying "what YOU gonna do behind that DOOR? HA!" The cat just crouched there like he was being stealthy...

Then the squirrel walked away (well, walked like he'd been riding a horse his whole life, bowed knees and all LOL) turned around and raised his hand again like "I'll show YOU!" and ran away.

He had a stubby tail and didn't mind that the kids and I were all standing there and laughing!@

We've had a lot of squirrels in our yard for years. Whats different about this one is how aggressive it was acting.I haven't seen a squirrel act like it was trying to get into our house before. I used to put seeds out to feed the birds but I haven't done that for about a year. When the squirrel was banging on the glass door the wind was blowing pretty hard. Maybe he wanted inside to get away from the wind. But it seems like it would have been more afraid of seeing me than the wind.

I was suspecting a weather disturbance. I notice the animals act "off" at times, and sometimes it's when something like an earthquake, tremor, or storm is coming.

I was suspecting a weather disturbance. I notice the animals act "off" at times, and sometimes it's when something like an earthquake, tremor, or storm is coming.

That thought also crossed my mind, that the squirrel may have been sensing something disturbing in the environment, such as an approaching storm. We didn't have a storm today, but it was unusually warm today after being chilly and rainy yesterday.

Edited by Miss Sherry

We've had a squirrel come and make lots of noise (a high pitched call) until we came out and filled up the bird feeder:)

When we used to put seed in the bird feeder the squirrels would climb up and steal it. So my husband put vaseline on the post the bird feeder hangs on and that would cause the squirrel to be able to only get part way up the post and then slide down. My husband thought this was funny watching the squirrel slide down the post and then wiping the vaseline off of it's paws.But that didn't stop the squirrel from trying to get up the post a few more times.

Maybe that squirrel was trying to get in our house to pay us back for the vaseline trick my husband played on him. :lol:

How did you get a photo of that squirrel that was in my back yard today ? That bottle is the evidence that his bad behavior was because he was under the influence. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I think I'd be out in the yard looking for this.

funny_932.jpg

And if it becomes too much of an issue, I'd call in for backup..

gi_squirrel.jpg